Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 04-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
BIG_MIKE_27
Can barely lace up my sneakers

BIG_MIKE_27 has an OK reputation so far
Default How can i get my Hops back?

Im 16 and 5'9" with a standing reach around 7'6".
I could grab a 10 rim when I was almost 15 and around this time last year I was just about dunking it!
I'm very much a one-footed jumper (I could barely touch the backboard off 2 feet!)
But anyway, in May of 2009 I sprained my left ankle (i jump off my left foot btw) it wasnt too serious and I was able to grab the rim again after about a week!
But then last October I turned on my ankle again and was out for over 2 weeks, but I havnt been able to get the ring since, my vertical was returning slowly but surely, until the first week of March when i f***ed up my ankle worse than ever!
I didnt return until yesterday and I'm still far from 100%!

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to help my get back jumping as high as i was and higher.. I dont care how long it takes i just want to be able to impress people again!
(Being barely able to dunk might not seem that impressive.. but I live in ireland and you dont see many people who can dunk here that arent like 6'3" upwards!)

So does anyone know what can i do to get back the way i was?
BIG_MIKE_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board
Default Re: How can i get my Hops back?

Yes I know how... and it involves lifting heavy ass weight.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
Marv_Albert
GUESS WHO'S BACK

Marv_Albert has an OK reputation so far

Firstly, i suggest seeking a professional(physio) on your ankle because it's only going to cause you a weakness there now and effect your game you will aggravate it easily...do some strengthening exercises and get it back to normal I had that problem and now it's fine. While you do that also do squats and I just use to stand at the bottom of the rim jump up and grab it in reps of 10 then grab a ball and practice rebounds, then do a set of lunges.

I followed that for about six weeks while ballin also and got the hops back in no time after my injury(sprained ankle 4-5 times in 2 months) after a while that natural feeling comes back, but i'm sure somebody here has some other helpful info.
Marv_Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
BIG_MIKE_27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Yes I know how... and it involves lifting heavy ass weight.

go on..?
Old 04-08-2010, 07:44 PM   #5
BIG_MIKE_27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv_Albert
Firstly, i suggest seeking a professional(physio) on your ankle because it's only going to cause you a weakness there now and effect your game you will aggravate it easily...do some strengthening exercises and get it back to normal I had that problem and now it's fine. While you do that also do squats and I just use to stand at the bottom of the rim jump up and grab it in reps of 10 then grab a ball and practice rebounds, then do a set of lunges.

I followed that for about six weeks while ballin also and got the hops back in no time after my injury(sprained ankle 4-5 times in 2 months) after a while that natural feeling comes back, but i'm sure somebody here has some other helpful info.

yeah i went to a physio and he gave mo some exercises to do.. stuff with a resistance band and that.. i do them any time i get round to it!
Old 04-08-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

You sound like my friend... he sprained his ankle like 3 times in 5 or 6 months and it kept getting worse each time.

I would make sure that ankle is completely healthy tho... give it another week or 2 of playing on it and see how it is... The main thing is making sure you aren't overcompensating because that is what leads to more injuries. I injured my hamstring months ago and what ensued was tearing my other hamstring, Jumpers Knee, Groin pulls, and hip pain... all of which stemmed from overcompensating for my injured hamstring. Needless to say these last 6 months have been some of the most miserable of my life...I'm physically debilitated and mentally frustrated. You don't want to have this sort of thing happen to you, it's awful.

So just do those exercises the doctor gave you for a little while longer and then you can get into getting that vert back up... or you can do it now it's your risk to take. There is plenty of info on what you have to do to increase vert in the "By July 3rd I will be dunking..." and "My vertical" threads... check those out man.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:59 PM   #7
Permodius
I airball my layups

Permodius has an OK reputation so far

I was in the same situation as you a while back. Your hops should come back very quickly. It won't take as long as it took to gain them in the first place to get them back. As long as you keep playing and jumping you should see them coming back.
Permodius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #8
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far

That is a lot of ankle sprains over the course of the year. Personally I think you need to take a step back and focus on the overall condition of the ankle for now.

Band exercises are ok initially for an ankle sprain, but eventually one needs to work back into the proprioceptive abilities and strength/power of the ankle. One legged balance stands, one legged calf raises, one legged squats, etc...progressing each exercise.

Also, need to check the overall quality of the ankle tissues. There could be scar tissue that has formed that is causing pain, and not allowing the ankle to do its job fully as it once did for you. Friction massage, focused stretching, and the like can help.

After it starts to get back to normal, then you can start to add those power exercises in the gym, squats, deads, hang snatch, push press, plyos, etc.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
BIG_MIKE_27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABPrints
Band exercises are ok initially for an ankle sprain, but eventually one needs to work back into the proprioceptive abilities and strength/power of the ankle. One legged balance stands, one legged calf raises, one legged squats, etc...progressing each exercise.

yeah.. i have like jumpsoles and proprioceptors from a couple years ago, i never use them anymore cos they gave me shin splints before, would i still be able to use them just for the proprioceptive exercises or should i just leave it and do exercises without them?
Old 04-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE_27
yeah.. i have like jumpsoles and proprioceptors from a couple years ago, i never use them anymore cos they gave me shin splints before, would i still be able to use them just for the proprioceptive exercises or should i just leave it and do exercises without them?

Just leave em out those things are stupid... they are especially pointless if they injure you in the process.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #11
eric14

eric14 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE_27
Im 16 and 5'9" with a standing reach around 7'6".
I could grab a 10 rim when I was almost 15 and around this time last year I was just about dunking it!
I'm very much a one-footed jumper (I could barely touch the backboard off 2 feet!)
But anyway, in May of 2009 I sprained my left ankle (i jump off my left foot btw) it wasnt too serious and I was able to grab the rim again after about a week!
But then last October I turned on my ankle again and was out for over 2 weeks, but I havnt been able to get the ring since, my vertical was returning slowly but surely, until the first week of March when i f***ed up my ankle worse than ever!
I didnt return until yesterday and I'm still far from 100%!

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to help my get back jumping as high as i was and higher.. I dont care how long it takes i just want to be able to impress people again!
(Being barely able to dunk might not seem that impressive.. but I live in ireland and you dont see many people who can dunk here that arent like 6'3" upwards!)

So does anyone know what can i do to get back the way i was?

TEST*****
eric14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:40 PM   #12
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Just leave em out those things are stupid... they are especially pointless if they injure you in the process.

I agree, I wasn't tlaking proprioceptive training and such with anything but POSSIBLY barefoot or with your ball shoes on. Not a huge fan of the jumpsoles either, but they do have their place in training, just not for you IMO at this point.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:33 AM   #13
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

Go to a rehab for it. You'll need to strengthen your ankle again. Also, I think you have to change your shoes. What shoes do you wear?
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:37 AM   #14
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

You know i feel pretty lucky now. I've played basketball for almost 4 years and the only injury i ever got was dislocating my thumb and spraining a few other fingers.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:53 PM   #15
ballzytees

ballzytees has an OK reputation so far

These shirts will make you jump higher, get girls, and get rich.

Okay they won't do any of those things, but they're tight.

These and more at www.ballzytees.com
ballzytees is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: