Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 04-23-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Default Swaggin916's dribbling drills

Alright guy's here is a video of me doing some of the ball-handling drills I do every weekday. I do some others as well but the video would have been to long. I was messin up on one though anyway because the ball I was using is pretty worn out... I usually mess up once or twice on it but I was really fckin up lol. I just started the behind the back one and the spider so they are a little shaky but not too bad.

I feel like since I have been doing these drills (about 5 weeks or so) my handle has improved tremendously. A lot of these are fairly simple, but I needed to just get my fundamentals down. I need to work on protecting the ball... I usually keep my arm up there but sometimes I forget... I feel like I'm actually better in games at doing that because somebody is there and could possibly poke the ball away if I don't. I am doing some more drills with my friends having him try and poke it away while I dribble so I get used to having that arm up at all times.

What do you guys think of my crossover? I can't hit it too hard because of my knee... but I'm still dribbling it as fast I can. I'm not quite comfortable using it in games yet... I mean I do use it, but not too often. I want to get it down to where it's second nature and always gets my defender off balance. Any other comments are appreciated too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ft02-lu5DY

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 04-24-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
SourPatchKids
Banned

Default Re: Swaggin916's dribbling drills

copyright
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
BALLin01
Local High School Star

Cant see it
BALLin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:45 PM   #4
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

My bad... lemme try again.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 04-24-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:53 PM   #5
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Did you add some song to it? If so, then the record label might have blocked it or something. Would wanna see the drills though. I feel that I'll need them. I also need to just get the fundamentals down and protecting the ball and stuff.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:28 AM   #6
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Default Re: Swaggin916's dribbling drills (fixed)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ft02-lu5DY

Ok guys there is the new link. If this one doesn't work... not gonna put any songs in there lol.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:32 AM   #7
SourPatchKids
Banned

Nice, I couldn't tell which hand was stronger.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:29 AM   #8
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Nice, I like that you keep the ball low to the ground (below the knees) and don't overexpose the ball. With the crossovers, their good, but it seems like sometimes you are leaning forward. This way you lose some of your balance and your quickness. You don't do it a lot, just on some of the crossovers. But if you are off balance it takes longer to move directions, giving the defense more time to recover or see what you do. You often do the UTEP Two-Step (Tim Hardaway), so try to look that one up. He makes fast movements side-to-side, not really leaning forward. Maybe it is because you can't make fast movements right now, but that is up to you.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:43 PM   #9
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Yea luckily for me my dad had me use my left a lot when I was real young and I developed a decent left. I have always enjoyed shooting little left handed floaters and stuff too so it's in other aspects of my game which I think helps my coordination.

Quote:
Nice, I like that you keep the ball low to the ground (below the knees) and don't overexpose the ball. With the crossovers, their good, but it seems like sometimes you are leaning forward. This way you lose some of your balance and your quickness. You don't do it a lot, just on some of the crossovers. But if you are off balance it takes longer to move directions, giving the defense more time to recover or see what you do. You often do the UTEP Two-Step (Tim Hardaway), so try to look that one up. He makes fast movements side-to-side, not really leaning forward. Maybe it is because you can't make fast movements right now, but that is up to you.

Yea I actually leaned that from another video... I used to keep the ball a lot higher when I dribbled and consequentially didn't have as much control. It's harder for people to poke it away too because the ball is moving faster and I'm so low to the ground. I can't say I'm always like that in games, but I try to be as much as possible and I would say the majority of the time I am. You are right on the crossovers though. I do have more side to side action when I'm healthy (moving from side to side and jumping are what really bothers it) , but I'm nothing like Deron Williams/D-Rose out there and do have a tendency to lean forward. That is something I will definitely try to work on... cus you can't just crossover right into someone Yea I've actually been studying Tim Hardaway's crossover lately because it was so quick and it was just like BAM! and he was right around his man... That's how I want mine to be ha. So it's the UTEP crossover? I'll be sure to check that out.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 04-24-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:58 PM   #10
lilojmayo
#lovethat32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
Nice, I couldn't tell which hand was stronger.

good video. totally agree i couldn't tell either. can handle the ball really well, i liked how the balll was so low to the ground and fast Not sure how your going to the basket moves are since it was just drills. However what i did notice was you were just working on one aspect ( the most important), but still just one aspect which is fingertip control. That's like trying to build a strong core by only doing crunches. First, just like with MannyQ it was all one speed, you were going fast, but still one speed. Basketball is never one speed it is always a change of speed. Also you gotta work on your whole ball handling, not just the fingertip control, but like cupping, slow to fast, fast to slow, quickness.

Almost any drill you can work on all of those aspect if you just tweak it a little bit. Yeah at the end you were also doing the Tim Hardaway crossover. For his move you really gotta go hard to make it work. You can also do Allen Iverson crossover out of it also.
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:14 PM   #11
1manfastbreak
just win

if i were you i would incorporate movements into your drills rather than doing everything stationary. its pretty easy to stand in one place and dribble a ball around but its somethin else once you start movin around.
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:19 PM   #12
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilojmayo
good video. totally agree i couldn't tell either. can handle the ball really well, i liked how the balll was so low to the ground and fast Not sure how your going to the basket moves are since it was just drills. However what i did notice was you were just working on one aspect ( the most important), but still just one aspect which is fingertip control. That's like trying to build a strong core by only doing crunches. First, just like with MannyQ it was all one speed, you were going fast, but still one speed. Basketball is never one speed it is always a change of speed. Also you gotta work on your whole ball handling, not just the fingertip control, but like cupping, slow to fast, fast to slow, quickness.

Almost any drill you can work on all of those aspect if you just tweak it a little bit. Yeah at the end you were also doing the Tim Hardaway crossover. For his move you really gotta go hard to make it work. You can also do Allen Iverson crossover out of it also.

Yea once my my knee get's better I'll start doing more intense drills. For now, I am pretty much stuck with stationary and light movements. It's the same with shooting too... I can pretty much just catch and shoot and that's about it. Haha it's funny cus I read your post about changing speeds over in Manny's thread... so I tried to change speeds while doing that first drill when I switched to my left. If you look closely, you can see I start going a little slower... but it pretty much just looks the same lol so I guess it didn't work You are right though, you aren't always going to be going 100 miles an hour so it's good to practice all speeds.

Quote:
if i were you i would incorporate movements into your drills rather than doing everything stationary. its pretty easy to stand in one place and dribble a ball around but its somethin else once you start movin around.

Yea again it's due to injury... It doesn't make sense to push it and make it worse doing drills... I've pushed it playing a few times and that's bad enough... but at least I'm actually playing a game lol. I just can't wait to get better and start going all out and doing all sorts of drills. Working on my game is almost as fun as playing is to me.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:20 PM   #13
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilojmayo

Yea once my my knee get's better I'll start doing more intense drills. For now, I am pretty much stuck with stationary and light movements. It's the same with shooting too... I can pretty much just catch and shoot and that's about it. Haha it's funny cus I read your post about changing speeds over in Manny's thread... so I tried to change speeds while doing that first drill when I switched to my left. If you look closely, you can see I start going a little slower... but it pretty much just looks the same lol so I guess it didn't work You are right though, you aren't always going to be going 100 miles an hour so it's good to practice all speeds.

Quote:
if i were you i would incorporate movements into your drills rather than doing everything stationary. its pretty easy to stand in one place and dribble a ball around but its something else once you start movin around.

Yea again it's due to injury... It doesn't make sense to push it and make it worse doing drills... I've pushed it playing a few times playing and that's bad enough... but at least I'm actually playing a game lol. I just can't wait to get better and start going all out and doing all sorts of drills. Working on my game is almost as fun as playing is to me.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:15 AM   #14
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916

Yea I actually leaned that from another video... I used to keep the ball a lot higher when I dribbled and consequentially didn't have as much control. It's harder for people to poke it away too because the ball is moving faster and I'm so low to the ground. I can't say I'm always like that in games, but I try to be as much as possible and I would say the majority of the time I am. You are right on the crossovers though. I do have more side to side action when I'm healthy (moving from side to side and jumping are what really bothers it) , but I'm nothing like Deron Williams/D-Rose out there and do have a tendency to lean forward. That is something I will definitely try to work on... cus you can't just crossover right into someone Yea I've actually been studying Tim Hardaway's crossover lately because it was so quick and it was just like BAM! and he was right around his man... That's how I want mine to be ha. So it's the UTEP crossover? I'll be sure to check that out.

its the killer crossover but you can also find more videos about it when looking for UTEP two step and the tim hardaway crossover. Look up the Deron Williams step back head fake as well. He has a Nike tutorial about it.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:41 PM   #15
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Yea I have seen the Deron Williams one and the stepback in one of the staples of my game. I feel totally comfortable with the stepback and make probably about 65% of them in games. There is no more natural shot for me then the step back jumper. The fadeway from the right block has been a staple of my game for a long time and it's kind of the same movement so I think that's why it feels so natural.

Yea I checked out the UTEP and some other ones as well... The Deron Williams cross is pretty nasty too and seems like it would fake people out more... I'm just going to learn all these moves and see what is the most effective for my abilities.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: