Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Cleveland Cavaliers Forum

Cleveland Cavaliers Forum Cleveland cavaliers message board - cleveland cavaliers fan forum

Old 11-10-2006, 02:59 PM   #1
MoPet24
I hit open layups

MoPet24 has an OK reputation so far
Default Are the Cavs ready to win this year?

To be honest, i think they ain't ready. First off, they need a much better point guard to run the team. Sure they drafted some great guards, but they aren't ready to step up and take to plate up yet? NO. That's current'y their buggest need so far. Other than that, they seem to have a well balanced team at every position except number 1.
MoPet24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:05 AM   #2
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world is considered somewhat coolwally_world is considered somewhat cool

Snow's a great passer... so letting him start is fine...

or we can go back to college days and let James play pg!
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
MoPet24
I hit open layups

MoPet24 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally_world
Snow's a great passer... so letting him start is fine...

or we can go back to college days and let James play pg!

Good idea
MoPet24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:08 PM   #4
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

lol LeBron never exactly played college ball but i know what you mean

And yeah i think the Cavs are ready to win this year. Are they ready for a championship? No, i don't think can win one. Can they make it to the championship though? That's a yes from me. We can hang with any team in the league, and beat anyone on any given night, but mentally i don't think we're ready to win it all yet.
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:24 AM   #5
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world is considered somewhat coolwally_world is considered somewhat cool

if Varejao starts i like their chances... he's a real talent.. just needs to foul people less... lol

if Bron Bron goes PG...

PG-LBJ
SG-Hughes
SF-Marshall
PF-Gooden
C-Z

wouldn't it be nice?
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:29 AM   #6
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Looks good to me. Then have Wild Man and Pollard coming off the bench...i like it. I'd really like to see Shannon in the starting 5 at some point though
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:41 AM   #7
Perezident
Kings>>>Clippers

Perezident has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally_world
if Varejao starts i like their chances... he's a real talent.. just needs to foul people less... lol

if Bron Bron goes PG...

PG-LBJ
SG-Hughes
SF-Marshall
PF-Gooden
C-Z

wouldn't it be nice?
lebron cant handle the ball that well if u replace/switch he and hughs then u might have a chance.......

or let wesly start at the point.....thats the only way u guys can make noise
Perezident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:52 AM   #8
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perezident
lebron cant handle the ball that well if u replace/switch he and hughs then u might have a chance.......

or let wesly start at the point.....thats the only way u guys can make noise

Cleveland fans are notoriously over-optimistic. Just look at how they constantly embrace players who don't do crap. Danny Ferry, Lee Suggs, Charlie Frye, etc.

Heck, look at Drew Gooden. The reality is, Cleveland resigned him because there was nothing else on the market and no other team in the league wanted him in a trade.

It constantly amazes me, and I live here.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:27 PM   #9
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
Cleveland fans are notoriously over-optimistic. Just look at how they constantly embrace players who don't do crap. Danny Ferry, Lee Suggs, Charlie Frye, etc.

Heck, look at Drew Gooden. The reality is, Cleveland resigned him because there was nothing else on the market and no other team in the league wanted him in a trade.

It constantly amazes me, and I live here.

Mathius

Are u really a cavs fan? I don't think so. I'm a knicks fan 4 life but ithink cle will be in the finals if not miami. wade is a better player right than lebron by a small margin. but lebron has a better overall team than miami. they also may get the chance to play a whole season together. don't be gassed up by the bricklaying bulls. yall better than them. enjoy your upcoming division crown.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:52 PM   #10
Mathius

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
Are u really a cavs fan? I don't think so. I'm a knicks fan 4 life but ithink cle will be in the finals if not miami. wade is a better player right than lebron by a small margin. but lebron has a better overall team than miami. they also may get the chance to play a whole season together. don't be gassed up by the bricklaying bulls. yall better than them. enjoy your upcoming division crown.

Yes I'm a Cavs fan, but it's d@mn hard to watch them loose year after year and be satisfied with it. I've been watching Cleveland teams loose in every sport since I was born.

How in the heck do you figure the Cavs are better than Miami?

D. Wade is probably not as good as Lebron, but he's still d@mn good.

Shaq is the most physically dominating center in the game, even if he has lost a step.

Alonzo Mourning is probably one of the best defensive centers in the league who used to average over 20 ppg when he was playing big minutes and is only a backup.

Jason Williams has had consistency problems and turnover problems, but still remains a solid player.

Udonis Haslem has improved every year and just posted a career high two days ago.

Antoine Walker is one of the most dangerous Triple Threat players in the league, averaging 19ppg, almost 9rpg and 4apg for his career.

Gary Payton is one of the best defenders period over the last decade.

James Posey is a very solid defensive player that shoots well from beyond the arc and has a career average of almost 10ppg.

And yes, even Jason Kopono was progressing nicely before he landed in Miami where he has to now play behind Walker and Posey.

How does that compare with the Cavaliers?

Z plays well, especially against premier centers, but disappeared in the playoffs last year, and his ppg has steadily declined each of the last 3 seasons. In fact he's averaging less than 10ppg this year so far. He's also been battling injuries, most recently re-ocurring back injuries ever since he entered the league when he was fighting foot problems and missed his first what? 2 seasons?

Drew Gooden has yet to show himself as a consistent player.

Lebron is well... Lebron, but one guy can't win it all.

Larry Hughes was very inconsistent last year, albeit that was a hard year for anyone who would break a finger and loose a younger brother. I'd count him an all star, assuming the finger is really ok now, but he still needs to take some more of the offensive load off Lebron.

Eric Snow is weak, period. He is OK defensively, but that's about it.

Varejo is a fireplug off the bench, but _statistically_ he contributes almost nothing for a guy playing 15-20 minutes a game for three straight seasons.

Donyell Marshall is in his best shape in recent memory, he formerly averaged double doubles twice in his career, but since he joined Cleveland, only seems to want to spot up for three and grab the occasional rebound.

Damon Jones is a bust.

David Wesley was 1 for 12 coming into the game against Boston, and was talking retirement before the Cavs signed him.

Pavlovic has been streaky for years and Brown wouldn't even play him last season.

and so far Brown doesn't seem to want to play Shannon Brown or Daniel Gibson for whatever reason. (And as I said in another thread, I don't agree with this. Early in the year is the time to play rookies, before you're in a playoff hunt.)

There's almost no comparison.

Can the Cavs win? Yes, there's always a chance, especially when you have Lebron to close out games and the "powerhouses" in the east are struggling (Miami, Detroit), but not unless some of the other players start showing up and showing up consistently.

Mathius
Old 11-13-2006, 12:45 AM   #11
nawsanenawmean
I brick open layups

nawsanenawmean has an OK reputation so far

The Cavs are ready to win. They just need to consistently hit their free throws and they'll be fine. We should be 6-0 right now. Eric Snow sucks. Lebron at PG is a no no. A trade for Earl Watson would be nice since he wants out. Oh, and Z is a big retard. Both of their minutes have been cut down a lot and will continue to be since Coach Brown is realizing they are both about worthless. How about Sasha stepping up? That's the kind of scoring we need off the bench. There is going to be plenty of inconsistency with this team early on which we have noticed, but they are going deep in the playoffs baby and are going to be title contenders for years to come. And once Shannon Brown and Dan Gibson start getting their minutes and experience, look out.
nawsanenawmean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:03 PM   #12
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawsanenawmean
The Cavs are ready to win. They just need to consistently hit their free throws and they'll be fine. We should be 6-0 right now. Eric Snow sucks. Lebron at PG is a no no. A trade for Earl Watson would be nice since he wants out. Oh, and Z is a big retard. Both of their minutes have been cut down a lot and will continue to be since Coach Brown is realizing they are both about worthless. How about Sasha stepping up? That's the kind of scoring we need off the bench. There is going to be plenty of inconsistency with this team early on which we have noticed, but they are going deep in the playoffs baby and are going to be title contenders for years to come. And once Shannon Brown and Dan Gibson start getting their minutes and experience, look out.

*laugh* This is exactly the kind of optimism I was talking about. Sasha has one 14 point game and suddenly he's our answer to our scoring problems on offense.

Mathius
Old 11-14-2006, 03:13 AM   #13
nawsanenawmean
I brick open layups

nawsanenawmean has an OK reputation so far

I never said anything about Sasha being the answer you couche-tard. Another guy or two off the bench would have been very nice, but instead we get David Wesley and Scott Pollard. Two guys who will only see garbage minutes. A complete waste of our exception money. We could have re-signed Flip Murray instead of that junk. Sasha has always been a good offensive player. He just needs minutes and I'm glad Coach Brown is going to give him the minutes because he can indeed score. Is he the complete answer? No way! Are we ready to win though? Of course. We won 50 games last year with basically the same team. Geez. And Lebron James is a ****ing beast. You can't lose when he is on your team. I know the season is only a couple weeks old, but basically the whole Eastern conference looks very inconsistent. Even the Fluke champion Heat. I think once Shannon Brown and D Gibson start getting time and experience, we will be very good. I believe in them. Until then, another veteran or two who can actually put the ball in the hoop would be good, but Ferry didn't take care of that business this off-season. And I think it would be super great if we could get rid of Snow's worthless asss and Z's overpaid asss.

Last edited by nawsanenawmean : 11-14-2006 at 03:16 AM.
nawsanenawmean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:17 AM   #14
shafir
I>You. Get over it.

shafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
Yes I'm a Cavs fan, but it's d@mn hard to watch them loose year after year and be satisfied with it. I've been watching Cleveland teams loose in every sport since I was born.

How in the heck do you figure the Cavs are better than Miami?

D. Wade is probably not as good as Lebron, but he's still d@mn good.

Shaq is the most physically dominating center in the game, even if he has lost a step.

Alonzo Mourning is probably one of the best defensive centers in the league who used to average over 20 ppg when he was playing big minutes and is only a backup.

Jason Williams has had consistency problems and turnover problems, but still remains a solid player.

Udonis Haslem has improved every year and just posted a career high two days ago.

Antoine Walker is one of the most dangerous Triple Threat players in the league, averaging 19ppg, almost 9rpg and 4apg for his career.

Gary Payton is one of the best defenders period over the last decade.

James Posey is a very solid defensive player that shoots well from beyond the arc and has a career average of almost 10ppg.

And yes, even Jason Kopono was progressing nicely before he landed in Miami where he has to now play behind Walker and Posey.

How does that compare with the Cavaliers?

Z plays well, especially against premier centers, but disappeared in the playoffs last year, and his ppg has steadily declined each of the last 3 seasons. In fact he's averaging less than 10ppg this year so far. He's also been battling injuries, most recently re-ocurring back injuries ever since he entered the league when he was fighting foot problems and missed his first what? 2 seasons?

Drew Gooden has yet to show himself as a consistent player.

Lebron is well... Lebron, but one guy can't win it all.

Larry Hughes was very inconsistent last year, albeit that was a hard year for anyone who would break a finger and loose a younger brother. I'd count him an all star, assuming the finger is really ok now, but he still needs to take some more of the offensive load off Lebron.

Eric Snow is weak, period. He is OK defensively, but that's about it.

Varejo is a fireplug off the bench, but _statistically_ he contributes almost nothing for a guy playing 15-20 minutes a game for three straight seasons.

Donyell Marshall is in his best shape in recent memory, he formerly averaged double doubles twice in his career, but since he joined Cleveland, only seems to want to spot up for three and grab the occasional rebound.

Damon Jones is a bust.

David Wesley was 1 for 12 coming into the game against Boston, and was talking retirement before the Cavs signed him.

Pavlovic has been streaky for years and Brown wouldn't even play him last season.

and so far Brown doesn't seem to want to play Shannon Brown or Daniel Gibson for whatever reason. (And as I said in another thread, I don't agree with this. Early in the year is the time to play rookies, before you're in a playoff hunt.)

There's almost no comparison.

Can the Cavs win? Yes, there's always a chance, especially when you have Lebron to close out games and the "powerhouses" in the east are struggling (Miami, Detroit), but not unless some of the other players start showing up and showing up consistently.

Mathius
Damon Jones, the ''bust'' scored 29 last year. LBJ is a great player, and Drew Gooden and Big Z make one of the best front courts in the league. Cavs are a force to be reckoned with, they are in no way overrated.
shafir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:40 PM   #15
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafir
Damon Jones, the ''bust'' scored 29 last year.
Against one of the worst teams in the league last year, that added Renaldo Balkman who should have been a second rounder, and lost Jalen Rose, again one of the most versatile players in the game who has a career average of 14ppg and can play three positions.

Did you even watch the game? Every shot he scored on he was wide open. He finally made his shots for a change. The knicks are horrid.

If he scores 20 points again at any point in the season, I will come on here and apologize to you, but he is a BUST. He's making 4 mil a year in cap money alone to stand behind the three point line and hurl jumpers.

Quote:
LBJ is a great player,
I said that already. My point is, he can't do it all.

Quote:
and Drew Gooden and Big Z make one of the best front courts in the league.

Your dreaming. Z is getting old, he was benched again in the last game, they benched him when they made their run against Boston as well. Drew is a bum. Period. Show me some consistency from him and we'll talk.

Quote:
Cavs are a force to be reckoned with, they are in no way overrated.

Not unless they show some major improvement.

Were you talking about how great they were when they lost to the Bobcats?

Larry Hughes actually had a few spots in the last 2 games where he was aggressive and actually drove to the basket and scored, which is one of the most promising signs I've seen this season.

But the Cavs got lucky against Boston. Coming back from being down 25? Getting 14 points out of Sasha... not that he isn't capable of occasionally putting up some big point numbers, but actually when they needed it?

29 points from Damon Jones? He was the laughing stock of the league last season until he hit the winning shot against the Wizards in the first round. The Cavs _have_ to give him minutes or they look like morons for paying him so much.

Besides which, the Cavs _should_ have beaten the Knicks. That's a game they should win. They should have beat Charlotte too.

Mathius
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: