Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-10-2006, 02:32 PM   #1
MoPet24
I hit open layups

MoPet24 has an OK reputation so far
Default Biggest Fear in Life = Presentations

Theres a saying that people are much more afraid of doing a presentation than dying. To me, it's somewhat eaisier if I know what i'm going to talk about. But to go up and talk about something i'm not familar with to a group of 100 stangers or even a class of 40, could get me somewhat nervous. But I tend to get used to it. After the first minute or 2, i'm not so nervous.

Anways, is this true to you? I would like to hear you opinions.
MoPet24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:05 PM   #2
craigthomasb
College star

craigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation here

i agree somewhat, i fear using the telphone, i ****ing hate it, if someone rings me im fine, but if i have to ring someone i hate doing it (only people i dont know that is)
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:14 PM   #3
jjswifty

jjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation here

OMG!! There are ppl like me. Im just like both posts.
jjswifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:26 PM   #4
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I love giving presentations. I just gave a 10 minute speech last week on "How to talk to women". Got a perfect score on it lol

Then again i'm a public relations major so talking in front of people just comes naturally to me
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:54 PM   #5
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

I always feel some degree of nervousness around people I dont know but for some reason I am never nervous giving presentations. and its an odd thing really. I mean when it comes to personal contact with strangers, there is always a bit of nervousness that I have learned to suppress and deal with. but with presentations I feel more comfortable than I do at any other time. just comes naturally to me I guess.

I know what you mean though. it sucks. when we have to give presentations in school.. I see people who I know to be confident, interesting people in everyday life get up there, look lost and nervous, and mumble for 5 minutes with their eyes down, figeting from side to side. its like a completely different thing.

Quote:
i agree somewhat, i fear using the telphone, i ****ing hate it, if someone rings me im fine, but if i have to ring someone i hate doing it (only people i dont know that is)
yeah I hate the telephone. I hate asking people to repeat themselves and my phone blows so I often have to.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:34 AM   #6
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

MK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this board

i hate giving speeches or presentations. if i could talk about sports in front of people, then i'd be ok, but i hate giving a speech over something stupid. i hate standing at the front of the room and have all the eyes on me. i had to do a speech over a inteview i did with my grandpa (we had to interview someone who was born before 1945) this past week for my english 1302 class. man was it ridiculously stupid.

as far as the phone thing goes, i used to hate talkin to on the phone, now it doesnt bother me as much.
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:11 AM   #7
Inspector Rick
Great young streetballer

Inspector Rick has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthomasb

You would hate my job. I work at a video store and every day I gotta phone the late list (people who havent returned their damn movies). At first it was a torturous process (I felt like a telemarketer harassing people at home), but you quickly adjust and get a whole spiel together "Hi, this is blah blah". Now, I dont mind doing it at all, kind of enjoy it actually.
Inspector Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:45 AM   #8
funkylikemonkey
Football In The Groin

funkylikemonkey has an OK reputation so far

I'm not to bad at public speaking, even in front of the entire school, but this are still people that I've met at least once. I might not be having the same opinion if I had to speak in front of a room of complete strangers.
funkylikemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:05 AM   #9
shafir
I>You. Get over it.

shafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected poster

Im great at public speaking, but thats probably because I was on my high school debate team, so im used to it.
shafir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:01 PM   #10
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

I actually prefer speaking to strangers than speaking in front of people I know. because if they're strangers I truly do not care what they think about me. but I know there are some people in the school that I have awkward relationships with and so there's that. and I'm going to be seeing all these people again so if I misspeak or something I'll hear about it later. I mean I laugh that stuff off but still, speaking in front of strangers is way easier because I could care less about them.

Quote:
Im great at public speaking, but thats probably because I was on my high school debate team, so im used to it.
Ive always wondered how debate team works. is there a crowd? I would have done that years ago if not for the fact that I hate everyone on the debate team.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:20 PM   #11
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

presentations are cake if i do the right research. The best way is to just not worry about it. Just go up there keep in mind what you know on the subject and how to say it and just go and say it. The only time i get nervous if i dont have anything memorized or dont kno anything about the subject. That is why when i had to take drama last year for a fine arts credit, i sucked b/c i didnt kno my lines because i didnt care and also i had a test in pre cal, physics, and AP us history. Soo all three of those have priority of drama and my mom told me to screw drama.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:21 PM   #12
eboloid
Flash Gordo

eboloid has an OK reputation so far

Presentations were an absolute horror for me in high school. I can vividly recall the time I had to do a ten-minute joint on Quebec in French class, my heart was racing more than it ever had, I could barely hear my own voice over my pulse, and my armpits just opened up, serious waterfall thing happening there. I don't think I've ever felt worse in my life. I think my conciousness more or less left my body, it was as if I was on auto-pilot throughout the speech, and watching myself from behind. Eerie.

Anxiety attacks aren't much fun. I'm having one right now just thinking about the experience.

I thought I was barely coherent through it all, but I got a B for it and my classmates said I was the easiest to understand of all the presentations. No idea how that happened. I nearly fainted a few times, too. Very strange.

Now, I just avoid people, works out much better that way.

Can't stand phones either, severe panic attacks whenever I hear one that I'm meant to pick up. Hopefully my next job will involve gutting fish alongside people I don't share a common language with. Crude signing is a great stress-reliever.
eboloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:28 PM   #13
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

Wow u guys are freaked out over phone calls. You're not even person-to-person. That sux.

But think of it this way. If it is some random person that ur calling, you are probably never going to see them in ur life so think of it that way and u wont screw up and if u do it shouldnt matter b/c u wont see him. If you are calling about getting a job, they kno what it is like. dont fear of calling and not getting the job b/c u wont see that person again in ur life unless u apply there. And if u do get the job than they wont care how u speak on the phone.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:24 PM   #14
craigthomasb
College star

craigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation here

i also hate saying my own name
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:12 PM   #15
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthomasb
co-sign

presentations are soo easy
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: