Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
carpevicis
Decent playground baller
 
carpevicis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 324
carpevicis has an OK reputation so far
Default Do they notice you?

I just got back from the gym and played some pickup 4 v 4 against some college kids, and I was expecting to be quiet like normal especially today cause i dropped a weight on my middle finger of my shooting hand yesterday, it felt terrible to bend, but anyways:

I ended up feeling it, hitting 11/14 or so off mid-range jumpers and transition baskets. I also played some fairly decent D, held my guy to low numbers and hit my teammates for some easy shots. But I'm wondering, will the people that watch me if I ever get that good notice what I'm doing? I'm not loud, not flashy or very attention gathering, I just hit my shots, get the smart plays and hustle for the ball. Will the recruiters, coaches and scouts know what the little things are, or are they all focused on the hyped flashy players?
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
Kumo
ISH Jump Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Behind you.
Posts: 2,404
Kumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Do they notice you?

I think they look for coachable players... aka you.

But, most of the really talented guys tend to be flashy as well.
Kumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
devin112
Local High School Star
 
devin112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,154
devin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Do they notice you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
I just got back from the gym and played some pickup 4 v 4 against some college kids, and I was expecting to be quiet like normal especially today cause i dropped a weight on my middle finger of my shooting hand yesterday, it felt terrible to bend, but anyways:

I ended up feeling it, hitting 11/14 or so off mid-range jumpers and transition baskets. I also played some fairly decent D, held my guy to low numbers and hit my teammates for some easy shots. But I'm wondering, will the people that watch me if I ever get that good notice what I'm doing? I'm not loud, not flashy or very attention gathering, I just hit my shots, get the smart plays and hustle for the ball. Will the recruiters, coaches and scouts know what the little things are, or are they all focused on the hyped flashy players?


ah...if coachs and scouts don't know what the little things are who would? sorry, but that's a really silly question. it's their job.
devin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:49 PM   #4
1manfastbreak
just win
 
1manfastbreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: 707 - 415
Posts: 3,512
1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Do they notice you?

if you are a good ball player people will take notice. id take production over flash any day.
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic
 
Swaggin916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 4,439
Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board
Default Re: Do they notice you?

If you make 11/14 shots people are going to take notice ha. A lot of people can catch fire though so coaches are looking for other things... and they may seem like little things but generally you can't teach really teach stuff like hustle so if it's obvious that you are working your butt off, that's a big positive for you.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,151
Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Do they notice you?

As a coach, one of the biggest messages I try to convey to my current players, former players, and potential players is that we look for the whole package. Nearly every player assumes putting the ball in the bucket is what will draw the attention of basketball higher-ups but scoring the ball is a foregone conclusion to us.

We know there's a bazillion people who can score well. We're always looking further than that. Does he dunk, then jog back in transition? When his teammate drops a pass, does he vilify him? Does he lock down on D? Is he open to criticism? When his teammate is in the open floor all by himself, will he sprint behind, just in case he misses?

Yes, spectacular offense will get a player noticed, but if that's all he's got, it'll make him "unnoticed" real quick.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES
 
NY-Knicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Knicks nation
Posts: 5,853
NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Do they notice you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
As a coach, one of the biggest messages I try to convey to my current players, former players, and potential players is that we look for the whole package. Nearly every player assumes putting the ball in the bucket is what will draw the attention of basketball higher-ups but scoring the ball is a foregone conclusion to us.

We know there's a bazillion people who can score well. We're always looking further than that. Does he dunk, then jog back in transition? When his teammate drops a pass, does he vilify him? Does he lock down on D? Is he open to criticism? When his teammate is in the open floor all by himself, will he sprint behind, just in case he misses?

Yes, spectacular offense will get a player noticed, but if that's all he's got, it'll make him "unnoticed" real quick.


well put.

You can get a lot of points by not giving up on a play like you mentioned with the fastbreak layup. You sprint on offense to get layups and you sprint back on defense to prevent layups.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #8
iamgine
...
 
iamgine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 11,022
iamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Do they notice you?

I always thought first and foremost coaches/scouts look for the things that they can't teach like athleticism, speed, court vision, leadership, hustle, etc.

Then they look for the things they can't teach very quickly like shooting, defense, teamwork.

The last thing is the easiest to teach like stamina, dribbling, position, free throws and other technical stuff.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:52 PM   #9
carpevicis
Decent playground baller
 
carpevicis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 324
carpevicis has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Do they notice you?

Thanks guys. I really just meant what college scouts look for. Another question, how does transferring high schools work? My dream is to play for Montrose Christian, but how does it work just changing schools in general?
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:42 AM   #10
1manfastbreak
just win
 
1manfastbreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: 707 - 415
Posts: 3,512
1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Do they notice you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
Thanks guys. I really just meant what college scouts look for. Another question, how does transferring high schools work? My dream is to play for Montrose Christian, but how does it work just changing schools in general?

pretty sure that every school district has its own rules and such you have to abide by
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:21 PM   #11
Lancerballer21
Serious playground baller
 
Lancerballer21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 413
Lancerballer21 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Do they notice you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
Thanks guys. I really just meant what college scouts look for. Another question, how does transferring high schools work? My dream is to play for Montrose Christian, but how does it work just changing schools in general?

Montrose Christian is a great basketball school. Do you live close to it?
Lancerballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:02 AM   #12
carpevicis
Decent playground baller
 
carpevicis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 324
carpevicis has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Do they notice you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerballer21
Montrose Christian is a great basketball school. Do you live close to it?

Nope, I live by Boston and I'd really like to play there, but it's not a huge deal to me because I'd rather play in college. Still, if I was good enough to play there I'd definitely choose to.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:19 PM   #13
Lancerballer21
Serious playground baller
 
Lancerballer21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 413
Lancerballer21 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Do they notice you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
Nope, I live by Boston and I'd really like to play there, but it's not a huge deal to me because I'd rather play in college. Still, if I was good enough to play there I'd definitely choose to.

I used to go to there summer camps when i was in elementary school, but i never even thought about going to any private school to play ball
Lancerballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:28 PM   #14
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish
 
Fallguy20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: bangin' in your boombox
Posts: 3,980
Fallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Do they notice you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
Thanks guys. I really just meant what college scouts look for. Another question, how does transferring high schools work? My dream is to play for Montrose Christian, but how does it work just changing schools in general?


... your dream is to play for a highschool team?


there is life after basketball
Fallguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:52 AM   #15
Splitz77
Good High School Starter
 
Splitz77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Washington
Posts: 891
Splitz77 has decent reputation
Default Re: Do they notice you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1manfastbreak
if you are a good ball player people will take notice. id take production over flash any day.


Id take Flashy Production over just production any day. Being productive wins games, but being productive and flashy at the same time fills up the stadium..
Splitz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:56 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy