Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 05-15-2010, 11:55 PM   #1
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default How come i can only make the hard stuff

During my last game the only easy bucket I made was a breakaway layup off a steal. My other points were tough jumpers and 3's. However during the game I missed many easy layups and went 0-4 from the free throw line. Yeah I couldn't sink a free throw but I was 3-5 from the 3 point line. What do you guys think of this?
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:10 AM   #2
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board
Default Re: How come i can only make the hard stuff

We all have days like that. As long as it only happens once in a while then it doesn't matter. You have to be able to convert on easy opportunities though because that's how you win... The hard shots aren't always going to fall.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
dutchguy
uses velcro

dutchguy has no real reputation yet.

What a lot of people stop doing after they've played for a couple of years is shooting from real close and shooting on a lowered basket. Afraid it messes up muscle memory. If you shoot some every day and do this once a week it doesn't. What it will do is force you to not solely rely on muscle memory and hone your technique.
If you have a bit sloppy technique (nobody has a perfect shot) than you will make the shots you practice most, but mess up from spots that are not as familiar to you.
So practicing this 'kiddie stuff' might actually help.
dutchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:49 AM   #4
Underballer
Decent playground baller

Underballer is starting to rub some people the wrong wayUnderballer is starting to rub some people the wrong way

maybe all the hard stuff is all luck
Underballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:37 AM   #5
KG215
NBA Legend

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchguy
What a lot of people stop doing after they've played for a couple of years is shooting from real close and shooting on a lowered basket. Afraid it messes up muscle memory. If you shoot some every day and do this once a week it doesn't. What it will do is force you to not solely rely on muscle memory and hone your technique.
If you have a bit sloppy technique (nobody has a perfect shot) than you will make the shots you practice most, but mess up from spots that are not as familiar to you.
So practicing this 'kiddie stuff' might actually help.

This.

I stopped playing competitively about 3 years ago, and stopped playing regularly for about the next year-year and a half. The last 5 or 6 months, though, I've been playing once or twice a week, 2-3 hours each time. It was so weird walking out there, picking up a ball, going through my normal warm-up routine, and missing most of my short shots around the lane. I like to work myself form block to block shooting form shots, then back out to the second stripe, then to the elbows, and then to the short corner, and eventually out the three point line. Like you said, it's mostly muscle memory. The form and release felt good.

I still have my days where I miss a lot of mid-range and wide open threes, but for the most part, the contested and tougher shots go in pretty routinely for me. But that's how it was when I played competitively (high school, college) as well. Even the guy guarding me will start to pick-up on it and say something like "you only make it when I come at you." I've got a bad habit of baiting a defender to come challenge my shot and release it at the last second with his hand in my face.

Even though it's been 5 or 6 months, I'm still not making the bunnies and wide open 15-17 jumpers the way I used to. A lot of times I put too much on the shot and hit back iron or it goes off the board. Right now, I'm much more comfortable shooting from 20-25 feet out. Trying to work on getting my mid-range game back, though.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:03 AM   #6
DarkSephiroth
Alex Mak

DarkSephiroth has an OK reputation so far

For most people it's all mental. Your open shots were probably too open, and you ended up thinking about it way too much. Your contested shots you didn't overthink, and sank them. That's usually the case.
DarkSephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
devin112
Local High School Star

devin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected poster

Something I used to neglect doing was warm up w/ layups before the game. doing layups, finger rolls, left hand, high off backboard, etc...
devin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: