Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 05-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Adrian Peterson or Chris Johnson? Who Truly Is The Best in the NFL

Quote:
Personally...I am going to just come out and say it. I dislike Chris Johnson as a player. Overall...he has gotten by ONLY on his speed and offensive lineman. All he does is get pitches outside and just outrun everyone. If he doesn't do that, his wonderful rushing line will step it up tossing the defensive line around like rag dolls opening up holes the size of a Volkswagen for Chris to run through.

He also has the other terrifying running option in Vince Young to scare defenders, so there is almost always a spy or two on Vince. I guarantee you that when they use play action, the defense is waiting to see if it is a boot for Young to run with.

If that wasn't enough, the Titans have a number of good blocking receivers and tight ends including Alge Crumpler, Justin Gage, and so on. He has everything going for him.

Some might say the same thing about good ol' "All Day" correct? If you ask ANY Vikings fan, you will hear them tell you about how Adrian had to break tackles BEFORE the line of scrimmage on most plays. yes, the line was a very good one a few years ago, but the team got old fast.

They went from one of the best lines in football to crippling Brett Favre and ruining Adrian Peterson's reputation. Steve Hutchinson's far past his prime and Bryant McKinnie isn't doing his job anymore. This last year, Adrian Peterson had to break through tackles behind the LINE OF SCRIMMAGE! Ask just about any Vikings fan and you will see the truth.

There are a few other things that hurt him this year.....EVERYTHING HURT. He was actually playing injured through most of the season. He was having some ankle and knee issues making it more difficult to power through tacklers.

Everyone is always so quick to get on him about his fumbles. But, when you think about it, it comes up differently. If you count Adrian Peterson's fumbles vs. Chris Johnson's, fumbles you will find:

Adrian Peterson: six fumbles, five lost

Chris Johnson: three fumbles, three lost

Let's count those as lost points. Let's try taking away a touchdown for every fumble.

Adrian Peterson: Touchdown total before: 18. Total after: 13 (just counting lost)

Chris Johnson: Touchdown total before: 14. Total after: 11

Adrian still has more, so that, in my opinion, makes the fumble argument null and void.

Next thing is yards. Oh yes, the yards. That is what Chris Johnson has become famous for. He was the first person since Terrell Davis to surpass the 2,000 mark. He also has been lighting up the gridiron with 3,234 yards in just his first two seasons. Very impressive but there is one thing I must say...what good are yards if they don't lead to points? You get 2,000 yards, there should be plenty of scoring, yet the Titans were nowhere near leading in touchdowns scored....peculiar to me.

I am thinking that he is possibly the best in the NFL...BETWEEN THE 20'S.

He is fantastic for getting you almost all the way, but when do you really need a running back? You need a running back who will get it done on the three yard line. You need someone who can power through there and get that score. Chris Johnson did no such thing.

Adrian Peterson has done quite possibly the most a third year running back has done since LT's first years in the NFL. In just three years in Minnesota he has become the number seven all-time rusher in team history. He could very well be first by the closing of next season. He has earned himself 4,484 yards at a steady five yards per carry.

He is number 14 ranked on the team's scoring list. In just another three or four seasons....he could be second all time. He is on such a pace that if he were to play for ten seasons...he would have 133 rushing touchdowns. That is, as you should obviously know, a Hall of Fame pace.

He would actually be even higher if Chester Taylor hadn't been getting some carries. If no one has noticed Taylor was the third-down back so he snagged plenty of the receptions that Adrian Peterson is said to be incapable of getting. Third down is, for a number of schemes, a passing down. You could do a screen, out route, just about anything for a running back.

That's a big reason why some backs have so many receptions...because they are in on third downs. Adrian Peterson still succeeded with his two-down territory and got the job done there. Just imagine, if you will, how much gaudier his stats would be if he had been the third-down back this whole time.

IF you were to extrapolate Adrian's stats to include at least half of Chester Taylor's stats off of third downs (at the very least), you would get over the past two seasons much better stats. Please note these are based off of his average yards per carry on each season:

2008: Adrian could reach 2,000 yards rushing easily. He originally had 1,760 but I think he could easily have managed that 240 with another 40 or so carries. But anyway, back to his stats.

2,010 yards, 12 touchdowns, 262 yards receiving, and one more touchdown

2009: While it was a great season anyway, he could have done better without Chester Taylor taking the extra carries and receptions away. Just look at his stats!

1,726 yards, 21 touchdowns, 704 yards receiving, and one extra touchdown

That shows that many a great thing can happen to two-down backs. If AP had been given the ball on all three downs, he could have just completely exploded.

Chris Johnson is a great player in my eyes, but he is not the best I have ever seen. I believe that Adrian is the better player. He is much stronger, he blocks better, runs better between the tackles, and everything.

Yes, Chris Johnson could probably smoke AP in a race...but Adrian Peterson is faster than the defense anyway. Does it matter how much faster you can be at that point? He has the instincts and basically everything. If only he had the incredible line Johnson had...he would be the undisputed best running back in the NFL.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...est-in-the-nfl

^^^ good article

AD > all
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
jazz873
College star

jazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Adrian Peterson or Chris Johnson? Who Truly Is The Best in the NFL

If we are talking about whos the better rb then i may have to go with AP but its close. But if we are talking about better overall player i gotta go with CJ. I will take CJ. At least until ap figures out a way to hold onto the ball. 19 fumbles in 3 seasons .
jazz873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputation

They're both at the point where one cannot be better than the other...it's simply who you like more is who you will take.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:12 PM   #4
QUIZZLE
Sugar. Give me. Sugar.

QUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this board

It'd be a clear cut for ADP for me if he could keep his damn fumbles down. They're ridiculously close. Chris Johnson seems like a money hungry ***** that would hold out at any point in his career to get a few extra mill.

I believe Peterson's more durable, definitely a better guy, and I'll take a power back any day of the week.

AP>Chris Johnson
QUIZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
FatCurry
Can barely lace up my sneakers

FatCurry has an OK reputation so far

If AP can avoid dropping the ball I think he is a better all round back can go inside or out.
FatCurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:54 PM   #6
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
They're both at the point where one cannot be better than the other...it's simply who you like more is who you will take.

+1
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:24 AM   #7
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Chris Johnson, don't even have to think twice.
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:12 AM   #8
GatorKid117
Oh the Bealsanity

GatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseketball4life

This

AD for me gets shut down/stuffed far too often for my liking. Dude's a beast, but give me CJ all day (pun intended).
GatorKid117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:12 AM   #9
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

anyone who watched the Vikes last season would have seen that their o-line completely fell apart...

pretty much every time that Peterson got stuffed, it was just not his fault, nothing he could do...

ALSO, Childress never did anything creative with him...a damn 8 year old knew when Peterson was going to run the ball...

Quote:
Chris Johnson is a great player in my eyes, but he is not the best I have ever seen. I believe that Adrian is the better player. He is much stronger, he blocks better, runs better between the tackles, and everything.

Yes, Chris Johnson could probably smoke AP in a race...but Adrian Peterson is faster than the defense anyway. Does it matter how much faster you can be at that point? He has the instincts and basically everything. If only he had the incredible line Johnson had...he would be the undisputed best running back in the NFL.

^^^ for those of you that didn't bother to read the article...which is probably all of you

btw, I really like CJ...alot...he reminds me of Deion with that speed of his...everyone else is just in slow motion...CJ is awesome

I am skeptical that he can maintian though...

where with AD, I am 100% sure we are watching a HOF player...as long as he can stay healthy...when I watch AD, it just feels like I am watching history in the making...I don't get that from CJ yet...

if CJ can go back-to-back 2,000 yards...then I will be completely convinced...obviously
Old 05-25-2010, 12:40 PM   #10
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Silly article.

primetime you're skeptical of how long CJ can keep his speed. you're not skeptical of peterson durability? you're not skeptical of peterson's fumbling issues? dont try to be skeptical of anything CJ does and not apply the same argument to your boy peterson.

the problem with this argument is peterson fans and supporters of this best RB argument have thier minds made up. you bought into the hype of peterson whether warranted or not that now when there is a player with a legit argument to being as good if not better? you dont accept it. why? he's already a hof'er to you. so how dare anyone compare a rb who is explosive, productive and an impact player. let me find ways to spin why CJ is successful because when peterson is successful? its all him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine

+2

Last edited by GOBB : 05-25-2010 at 12:45 PM.
GOBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #11
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseketball4life

Agreed. And I'm not just saying that because he went to ECU.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:35 PM   #12
NoLayupsRule2

I use to think that CJ was more dangerous but AP was better. Now I think CJ is more dangerous and he's the better running back and the better player. I'll start off by saying CJ had 2,000 yards last season, he isn't fumble prone and he's very good at catching the ball.

I also heard that he has the most 80+ yard plays this decade. (00-10)
Old 05-25-2010, 06:04 PM   #13
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Silly article.

primetime you're skeptical of how long CJ can keep his speed. you're not skeptical of peterson durability? you're not skeptical of peterson's fumbling issues? dont try to be skeptical of anything CJ does and not apply the same argument to your boy peterson.

the problem with this argument is peterson fans and supporters of this best RB argument have thier minds made up. you bought into the hype of peterson whether warranted or not that now when there is a player with a legit argument to being as good if not better? you dont accept it. why? he's already a hof'er to you. so how dare anyone compare a rb who is explosive, productive and an impact player. let me find ways to spin why CJ is successful because when peterson is successful? its all him.
no I said "as long as he can stay healthy"...

I think it is more likely than not that AD will go through at least a couple years where he misses most the year to injury...that is just the way he runs...fearless...(also why he fumbles probably, he goes fo the HR every time)

I will put it like this, I am more skeptical of CJ being able to keep up the kind of back he was last year than I am of Peterson making the HOF. I am 100% sure he will make the HOF barring serious injury.

if CJ loses his speed then what are left with?...a shitty RB

and again, I want to make it clear that I love CJ as a player, I think he s awesome...I just need ONE more year of convincing...
Old 05-25-2010, 06:07 PM   #14
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLayupsRule2
I use to think that CJ was more dangerous but AP was better. Now I think CJ is more dangerous and he's the better running back and the better player. I'll start off by saying CJ had 2,000 yards last season, he isn't fumble prone and he's very good at catching the ball.

I also heard that he has the most 80+ yard plays this decade. (00-10)
article mentions how Peterson just lost 2 more fumbles than CJ...

Peterson lost 5 fumbles...

CJ lost 3 fumbles...

and 2 fumbles is alot in the NFL, no doubt, but it isn't like CJ is impervious to losing the ball...he drops them too...
Old 05-25-2010, 06:30 PM   #15
GatorKid117
Oh the Bealsanity

GatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation hereGatorKid117 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
article mentions how Peterson just lost 2 more fumbles than CJ...

Peterson lost 5 fumbles...

CJ lost 3 fumbles...

and 2 fumbles is alot in the NFL, no doubt, but it isn't like CJ is impervious to losing the ball...he drops them too...

I don't know what year the article is referring to but AD fumbled 7 times last season and twice in the PO. He lost 6 of those fumbles.

CJ fumbled 3 times and lost all of them like he said though. So that is 3 more losses which is quite big. You also have to take into account the momentum shifts and confidence issues after fumbling. Are you as a coach going to feel comfortable continuing to give him the ball? In the PO game, Peterson also fumbled on a exchange with Favre that was lost on the goal line. Until proven otherwise, he is a liability in ball security. That is a huge detriment to a RB.
GatorKid117 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: