Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 06-22-2010, 06:44 AM   #1
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Training Program

Guys,

I have to hand in a report in high school, got a couple of months to do it. My subject is creating the best possible training program for a basketball player.

First;
What physical abilities do you rank the highest in basketball?
(for instance vertical jumping ability, acceleration, conditioning, upper body strength, core strength for balance).

I am approximately 6'3 (in shoes). I don't know the exact measurements, will post that later on this week. I weigh 195 pounds. Most of you guys know my playing style but I'll still post it;

- shooting guard
- often playing in the low post or face ups in the high post
- get almost all of my points in the paint (drives or post-ups)
- not a great passer and decent ballhandler
- rebounding is very, very important to me and I am really good at it
- I have the instincts (timing and anticipation) to block shots but I don't have the jumping ability to block 5+ shots a game.

What physical abilities are most important for my playing style?
I am strong, especially for my position but I am slow for a guard and don't have much hops.

Thanks
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Training Program

also; this is mainly for Swaggin and ABPrints, but if anyone knows the answer please respond .

I have seen a lot of football players doing the wall acceleration drill. It is an effective drill (mainly for acceleration of course) and is it bad for your knees?
Old 06-23-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
also; this is mainly for Swaggin and ABPrints, but if anyone knows the answer please respond .

I have seen a lot of football players doing the wall acceleration drill. It is an effective drill (mainly for acceleration of course) and is it bad for your knees?

Re: wall drill, to me it is a form drill, focusing on knee and hip movement. I don't see issues with knees doing this drill.

As for the OG question. I will look through my old workouts from previous clients and post something up for you if I had anyone similar to your parameters.. I am sure swag will too.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

I am going to do the program myself so it is basically the best possible training program for my playing style. I will post the results in this thread. I got professional help some time ago and my feet are not in the right position, so I need extra soles. And I put too much pressure on my knees by training too hard and I am getting help to fix this. I need to do exercises like squats so that is useful. I will start doing the program once I become fully healthy. It's too bad that I will need to start from the beginning, I can't start squatting and deadlifting 200 pounds.

Yeah, I really like the wall drill, it just feels like a great exercise. Will put that in the program as an acceleration/speed exercise.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

exact measurements

with shoes: 6'3
without shoes: 6'2

195.8 pounds
Old 06-23-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far

I would not put oo much emphasis on the wall drill however, it is a linear exericse and basketball is multidirectional.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABPrints
I would not put oo much emphasis on the wall drill however, it is a linear exericse and basketball is multidirectional.

no I wont. Will just be a part of it. Just thought it would be a great exercise to include in the program. I will put a lot of cutting exercises in there for the multidirectional part.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:13 PM   #8
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
Guys,

I have to hand in a report in high school, got a couple of months to do it. My subject is creating the best possible training program for a basketball player.

First;
What physical abilities do you rank the highest in basketball?
(for instance vertical jumping ability, acceleration, conditioning, upper body strength, core strength for balance).

Agility and acceleration. If you can move quickly in short spaces, you can at least play defense effectively.

Quote:
I am approximately 6'3 (in shoes). I don't know the exact measurements, will post that later on this week. I weigh 195 pounds. Most of you guys know my playing style but I'll still post it;

- shooting guard
- often playing in the low post or face ups in the high post
- get almost all of my points in the paint (drives or post-ups)
- not a great passer and decent ballhandler
- rebounding is very, very important to me and I am really good at it
- I have the instincts (timing and anticipation) to block shots but I don't have the jumping ability to block 5+ shots a game.

What physical abilities are most important for my playing style?
I am strong, especially for my position but I am slow for a guard and don't have much hops.

I would say based on your style of play, quickness and strength would be the most important factors. So... the best workout program would a mix of something like a vertical jump program mixed with agility drills and different forms of strength training (focusing heavily on core and lower body but definitely not neglecting upper body).

If you were more of shooter, then I would say agility and endurance... if you were a cutter/finisher I would say acceleration and vertical jump... pretty much no matter what style you play tho, having good quickness and acceleration is extremely beneficial. If you are a big man tho and your main thing is boarding, then I would say agility isn't all that important.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:01 PM   #9
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Agility and acceleration. If you can move quickly in short spaces, you can at least play defense effectively.

I would say based on your style of play, quickness and strength would be the most important factors. So... the best workout program would a mix of something like a vertical jump program mixed with agility drills and different forms of strength training (focusing heavily on core and lower body but definitely not neglecting upper body).

If you were more of shooter, then I would say agility and endurance... if you were a cutter/finisher I would say acceleration and vertical jump... pretty much no matter what style you play tho, having good quickness and acceleration is extremely beneficial. If you are a big man tho and your main thing is boarding, then I would say agility isn't all that important.

yeah I thought it would look like this. My strength is above average so I will focus a lot on acceleration, cutting and agility to get quicker. And of course the core strength, I've got to do a lot of work.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:08 AM   #10
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

What's up guys?

It's been a while since I posted in this forum or worked on my training program but it's progressing. My knee on the other hand is not .

I was looking for the Nike SPARQ section on nikebasketball.com yesterday to find some useful exercises. I found a few but there were complete training programs on the football site. Of course I would add/substract a couple of exercises since I am a basketball player or I prefer another exercise but I think this might be good to look at and very useful. Football and basketball physically are very alike (speed, acceleration, strength, vertical leap, agility and quickness, etc. etc.).

What do you guys think?

http://www.nike.com/nikeos/p/usnikef...m#week=1&day=1

I would like to do this four week program to see where it takes me. I am probably going to make a 6-8 week program in the end.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:12 AM   #11
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Of course I won't be able to do the deadlifts, hang cleans, power cleans, etc. due to knee troubles. I have to do squats (without weights) for rehab purposes. I can build on that later.

Those exercises are very important though.

I like the speed ladder, use that a lot right now and that it focuses a lot on speed. It is an all-around program. What exercises should I add or take out of there?

I do way more stretching and working with a foam roll just to make my body feel good. Right now I am doing more strength training than this program provides, but I probably don't need it.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:31 AM   #12
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far

Ok so does this sound right: you're a rebounding guard who is stronger and more physical than other guards and often spend time in the post.

I'd work on core/lower body strength. That's key for rebounding as well as playing in the post where quick movements aren't as emphasized as strength.

Since you're recovering from injury I'd stay away from any kind of heavy lifting until you're 100% or you'll risk aggravating it. Do lots of body weight exercises but try to incorporate things like Airex pads, Bosus and physioballs so you can work on core balance.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #13
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Yes, that sounds right. The only problem is that other players and even some coaches don't want me to play that way. I want to be the best all-around player I can be and for me to become that player I need to make my weaknesses my strengths. I am slow, especially the acceleration and have a bad verticle jump. I want to be able to get faster, which is really important for me right now. My feet on defense are way too slow as well, so I am training a lot with the speed ladder. The lateral quickness has to improve. I also need to be able to react quicker in order to become a better defender, working with tennis balls (exercises can be found on the nikebasketball version of sparq).

I use physio balls, medicine balls, etc. etc. a lot. I do a lot of weight lifting these days since I can't do much leg training. I focus on upper body and mostly on core strength and balance. That will change once I get cleared by the doctor.

To sum it up, I want to become a better player by focusing on the weaknesses. That will make me a much more polished offensive player and at least a decent defensive player. I don't want to be one dimensional.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #14
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

Yea I would work on that speed latter and also hip turning drills. In football practice they used to have us get in our stance and then they would tell us which way to go while moving backwards... you see it a lot at the combine too. If you can turn you hips quickly then you can slide with them and contest their shot.

The exercises on that page look good... I personally love the Ickey shuffle and the 2 feet per hole lateral movement for bball. They help with lateral quickness and that's more helpful than straight line quickness. All those are very useful though... Whether you are playing football or bball, they will help you be more quick of foot and explosive, which is the name of the game.

What's the problem with your knee again? How are you able to ladder drills but not weight lifting?
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:46 AM   #15
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

First of all, I need soles in my shoes because my feet are flat (= knees are out of position) but more importantly I have played ball for years, practically every day until I started to grow 10 inches a year. Afterwards my knees became horrible, it is the overuse of both knees. Pretty bad too. I've had it for over a year now.

My physical therapist allows me to play basketball, football, running as long as my knee feels great. No sprinting tho. But I haven't heard anything about not being able to do the speed ladder. Right now I won't do it because my knee is really f-cked up but on some days I will, mostly focusing on form instead of doing too much. I have to do strength training, don't get me wrong here, just not those exercises. I have to do knee and leg strengthening exercises (squats, leg press, leg extension) 4 times a week.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: