Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 07-12-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Bye bye Boris

Quote:

Boris Diaw traded to Raptors

by David A. Arnott on Jul 12, 2010 8:08 AM EDT 37 comments
Jeffrey Phelps - AP
Boris Diaw goes in for a nonchalant layup.

View full size photo

Goodbye Boris Diaw. Now that you've been traded to the Toronto Raptors, here's hoping you and Andrea Bargnani won't get utterly destroyed when you try to play defense together. That first season with the Bobcats was a shock to the system, since you -- out of nowhere -- became a monster three point shooter and had your best run of play, ever. Last season, you went back to being the guy you always were, only with more three point attempts, and that guy is going to be useful to NBA teams for a long time to come, but we're better off taking our chances that Tyrus Thomas does more with his gifts in starter's minutes.

The trade also routes Hedo Turkoglu to the Phoenix Suns, and the Cats have received Dwayne Jones and part of the Chris Bosh trade exception. (What? We couldn't get Jared Dudley back?) Jones was with the Cats for a minute or two in 2008-09, and last season was a D-League monster. I'm not making this up: In 48 games, he averaged 17 points and 16 rebounds per game. Discounting for level and per-minute, he's no starter, but he might be a better rebounder than Tyson Chandler right now, which would make him an attractive candidate to soak up 10-15 minutes per night.
As for the exception, the original report doesn't say exactly how much it is, but if the Cats don't want to use it to sign someone (and luxury tax-ize themselves), it could be a good trade chip

I wonder if the trade exception frees up enough money to sign a decent PG?
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Laxlen
I brick open layups

Laxlen has not been impressing people
Default Re: Bye bye Boris

I'm a noobie at this NBA...

what's the scoop on Diaw?

Is he like Hedo but willing to actually play for the Raps cause that's the only reason I figure BC went after him.
Laxlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

Diaw is a great player when he wants to be. The caption under his picture in the article pretty much sums him up though (Going for a nonchalant layup). He's a great passer, he can shoot from anywhere on the court. In fact, I'd say he's a slightly less worse version than Hedo.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #4
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

Also, now that we're getting Jones, we have him, Chandler, Ajinca, Diop, Tyrus Thomas, and Nazr as our bigs. So I've got to wonder, if we go ahead and re sign Theo Ratliff, we've got to ship at least one of those and use the trade exception to get a PG.

In unrelated news, I was looking at our roster on Yahoo! and it said that Luther Head was on the team. Well, I hadn't heard anything about his signing so I Googled it, and guess what? He signed with the Hornets! Not us! I hate ignorant people.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Nazr was pretty solid for us last year, but I'm not against getting rid of either him or Chandler for some cap space to sign a good PG. But we've got to get a move on it.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
Rizko
EroticVanilla

Rizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Heres a link that shows all the free agents by position. It hasn't been updated and removed Steve Blake and Raymond Felton, but it should do.

PG's I like on the list are: Kenyon Dooling, Luke Ridnour, Kyle Lowery (a good defender, but a horrible shooter) Will Bynum, and Jason Williams.

Delonte West will also most likely become a free agent (his contract isn't guaranteed and I think the Cavs will use that fact to try and snaga play they like)

Do you think that the Bobcats would be willing to bring back Okafor and snag Darren Collison in the deal?

Something like: Tyson Chandler and Ajinca for Collison and Okafor?

Besides Collison other PG's who might be traded are: One of either Jarret Jack or Jose Calderon, Monta Ellis, and Mo Williams.
Rizko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
Rizko
EroticVanilla

Rizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

"Apparently its Calderon for Diaw, and TPE for Chandler."

Thats decent. It still gives them the 8-9 mil in capspace and they get a good PG. He can set play up, shoot extremely well, but a horrible defender (which isn't a big deal with Jackson and Wallace covering for his mistakes).
Rizko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
Brakas
I airball my layups

Brakas has an OK reputation so far

If this is true, then that is great news for the cats.
Brakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #9
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...enttracker2010

Here's the link I've been using to keep track of the FA action. I'm waiting for Bonnell to give us an article so I know exactly what's going on.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:10 PM   #10
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Diaw and Chandler would have cost almost 20 mil in payroll next season. We're definitely clearing room for something. CP3?
Old 07-12-2010, 04:01 PM   #11
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Nastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat cool

Sounds like you are getting Calderon and maybe Reggie Evans for Chandler, giving Diaw for the trade exception. Very smart moves. Clears Diaw out of the way(basically pays for T.Thomas in one brilliant stroke), gets you the passing PG you have long lacked and gets value for Chandler before he leaves(after brilliantly dumping Okafor for him). I really like the Charlotte lineup if they can find a cheap backup C to team with Ajinca behind Nazr.

C - Nazr,Ajinca,Diop(maybe FA additon)
PF - T.Thomas,Brown/Evans
SF - Wallace(Jackson),Graham,Mcguire
SG - Jackson,Henderson,Hughes(if brought back,should be IMO)
PG - Calderon,Augustine,Collins(could become a stud and take DJ's job sooner than later)

I like the look of that team. I'd bring back Ratliff, who likes playing for Brown and blocked 1.5 shots while with the team last year(on average obviously). Ajinca could blow up, but he,Nazr and Theo are all 15-25 minute guys respectively.

Diop should be waived IMO, maybe you can save 2-3 mil on a buyout.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #12
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus
Sounds like you are getting Calderon and maybe Reggie Evans for Chandler, giving Diaw for the trade exception. Very smart moves. Clears Diaw out of the way(basically pays for T.Thomas in one brilliant stroke), gets you the passing PG you have long lacked and gets value for Chandler before he leaves(after brilliantly dumping Okafor for him). I really like the Charlotte lineup if they can find a cheap backup C to team with Ajinca behind Nazr.

C - Nazr,Ajinca,Diop(maybe FA additon)
PF - T.Thomas,Brown/Evans
SF - Wallace(Jackson),Graham,Mcguire
SG - Jackson,Henderson,Hughes(if brought back,should be IMO)
PG - Calderon,Augustine,Collins(could become a stud and take DJ's job sooner than later)

I like the look of that team. I'd bring back Ratliff, who likes playing for Brown and blocked 1.5 shots while with the team last year(on average obviously). Ajinca could blow up, but he,Nazr and Theo are all 15-25 minute guys respectively.

Diop should be waived IMO, maybe you can save 2-3 mil on a buyout.

I think Theo will be back. Ajinca is probably going to do another stint in D-league. I'm certain we're not done yet.

I like Calderon because he can shoot and he doesn't turn the ball over. He's a defensive liability but when you reduce turnovers and have Crash and Jax on your team I think the positives are greater than the negatives. Defenses won't sag off him in the lane. That should result in some awesome highlight videos for Crash and Tyrus.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #13
acidbasesalt
Coward Saviour

acidbasesalt has decent reputationacidbasesalt has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
I think Theo will be back. Ajinca is probably going to do another stint in D-league. I'm certain we're not done yet.

I like Calderon because he can shoot and he doesn't turn the ball over. He's a defensive liability but when you reduce turnovers and have Crash and Jax on your team I think the positives are greater than the negatives. Defenses won't sag off him in the lane. That should result in some awesome highlight videos for Crash and Tyrus.

When a matchup such as Calderon vs. Rondo, Rose, or Wade at PG, I don't see the light coming...
acidbasesalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #14
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Nastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul

Very true, he'll find them for a lot of exciting finishes. Jackson will get more open looks too.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:21 PM   #15
jaggedmole
Can barely lace up my sneakers

jaggedmole has decent reputation

I like the look of our roster as well. We still need a 5 and we need some solid scoring off the bench. Hopefully Henderson or Graham can make that next step.
jaggedmole is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: