Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > WNBA Forum

WNBA Forum WNBA Forum, Women's Basketball Forum - WNBA message board

Old 07-13-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Default Is it hard to be a GM in the WNBA?

Quote:
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Archive The Charlotte Bobcats, after backing out of a trade with Toronto, have agreed to deal Tyson Chandler to the Dallas Mavericks.

Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com that the Bobcats and Mavericks reached terms on a deal that would send Chandler and Alexis Ajinca to Dallas for Erick Dampier, Eduardo Najera and Matt Carroll.

The Mavericks, sources said, parted with Dampier's $13 million non-guaranteed contract -- which Dallas has considered one of its most valuable trade chips -- because Charlotte was willing to re-acquire Carroll, who is due to earn $11.7 million over the next three seasons.

Dallas will now try to complete the signing of free-agent forward Al Harrington. The Mavericks, sources said, have extended an offer to Harrington starting at the full $5.8 million mid-level exception.
One source close to the situation said that the Bobcats will consider keeping Dampier for the short term, instead of waiving him immediately, in case another trade opportunity presents itself. Any team that has Dampier on its books can release him and instantly wipe $13 million off next season's payroll.
Sources said that Dallas, having determined that it would not be able to acquire any of its ambitious targets with the Dampier chip this summer, decided to make this trade to create as much financial flexibility as possible to keep pursuing a major trade score such as New Orleans' Chris Paul, whom the Mavericks have unsuccessfully chased for months.

Chandler actually fills two needs for Dallas, since he'll join Brendan Haywood in the Mavericks' center rotation and given that he will be playing on an expiring contract next season.

The Bobcats had agreed Monday to trade Chandler and Boris Diaw to Toronto for Jose Calderon and Reggie Evans as part of the Raptors' deal with Phoenix that will send Hedo Turkoglu to the Suns. But Charlotte, sources said, withdrew from the deal Monday night, partly because of a 10-percent trade bonus in Calderon's contract (which has nearly $30 million remaining over the next three seasons) and because coach Larry Brown was not in favor of the deal.

After losing out to Utah in the trade chase for Al Jefferson, Dallas immediately began pursuing Chandler.
Marc Stein covers the NBA for ESPN.com.

The only explanation I can come up with is that MJ and Larry Brown ate some psychedelic mushrooms for lunch.

We originally took on worthless Gana Diop and his ridiculous contract in order to dump Matt Carroll. Now we have both of them with both of their gargantuan contracts!

We now have 2 centers, 5 power forwards and no starting point guard. I just might shoot myself.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Default Re: Is it hard to be a GM in the WNBA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
The only explanation I can come up with is that MJ and Larry Brown ate some psychedelic mushrooms for lunch.

We originally took on worthless Gana Diop and his ridiculous contract in order to dump Matt Carroll. Now we have both of them with both of their gargantuan contracts!

We now have 2 centers, 5 power forwards and no starting point guard. I just might shoot myself.
huh, I think its harder to get a gm job than it is to do it, that is for sure. That being said, I think this move is reasonable for them. Not great, but neither was the other deal.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:56 PM   #3
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

I have a few mushrooms right now, they've been in my bag for a while and I haven't found the right time.

Sometimes I brush my teeth with listerine when I'm in a hurry, is this awful?
Lamar Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:50 AM   #4
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Doom
I have a few mushrooms right now, they've been in my bag for a while and I haven't found the right time.

Sometimes I brush my teeth with listerine when I'm in a hurry, is this awful?

As long as you're staying hydrated you're fine LD.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:12 AM   #5
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
huh, I think its harder to get a gm job than it is to do it, that is for sure. That being said, I think this move is reasonable for them. Not great, but neither was the other deal.

I agree, you are very limited in what you can do by the salary cap and what is actually available.

I think the biggest mistakes are made in the draft. after the first 20 picks it is pretty much a crap shoot, so you might as well take someone you like instead of 'best available'.

the Knicks took some heat for picking Andy Rautins at 39 or whatever, with people saying there were 'better players available'...really? who out there at that point in the draft is a game changer? No one, might as well swing for the fence with someone you like. A PG with a great stroke and lots of FIBA experience. Much better than a 6'7" 'post' who might give you ten minutes a night for a season.

If GMs did more picks like that, in the second round especially, they'd have more success. There are however a finite number of eligible players who can stick with a squad.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
If GMs did more picks like that, in the second round especially, they'd have more success. There are however a finite number of eligible players who can stick with a squad.

So true. And then even with the lottery picks it's often a crap shoot. You could end up with a bust or the injury bug can hit. (Oden, Griffen, et al.)
Old 07-16-2010, 04:50 PM   #7
Bruinlove
Banned

not if your name is Mitch Kupchak
Bruinlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinlove
not if your name is Mitch Kupchak

Yeah he's one member of the UNC family that has his shit together.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: