Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 07-24-2010, 05:57 AM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default Should Austin Daye try to be a shooting guard?

An insanely tall SG?

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=6304
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
idizzle
Good college starter

idizzle is considered somewhat coolidizzle is considered somewhat coolidizzle is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Should Austin Daye try to be a shooting guard?

No. He should just play the forward spots and center.
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
el gringos
Good college starter

el gringos has not been impressing people

His highest ceiling is at power forward- if he grows into nicely he is a more mobile dirk like player- a lot of ifs but that's the only position he could be an all nba level player at
-----
He is a natural post defender, just needs strength- still needs strength and would need to be much quicker to defend the perimiter so the only spot he could be plus at is 4 w size- and on offense he is a perfect stretch four who can shoot but also pass and playmake
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:48 AM   #4
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I don't think Daye is best fitted to be a PF. He won't ever have the size to guard guys like Amare, Bosh, Gasol, Duncan, etc. etc. SF I could see a bit. I really like the SG experiement. He is a good outside shooter and a smooth scorer. He can post up the smaller SG's too. Defensively what he lacks in speed he makes up in size.

Joe D planned this out on purpose. Look at the size of our starters in the summer league. You had White who is 6'5", Daye at 6'11", Summers at about 6'9", Jerebko at 6'10" and Monroe at 6'10". That is a huge lineup to deal with. I'm not saying all these guys are going to be superstars but Joe D is trying to add size to the Pistons. If you read Daye's blog and read what Kuester has been quoted as saying Daye at SG is going to happen. His minutes will primarily be split between the 2 and 3 positions. I think this is a smart way to develop his game. I don't like comparing him to Dirk because he definitely isn't Dirk. His skills are different. I think it's a great way to try to use them. If this idea works, it could have a huge payoff for the Pistons. Rip is going to be traded. BG is not a full time starter. Within the next year or so if Daye can develop his game he has a really big opportunity here.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
I don't think Daye is best fitted to be a PF. He won't ever have the size to guard guys like Amare, Bosh, Gasol, Duncan, etc. etc. SF I could see a bit. I really like the SG experiement. He is a good outside shooter and a smooth scorer. He can post up the smaller SG's too. Defensively what he lacks in speed he makes up in size.

Joe D planned this out on purpose. Look at the size of our starters in the summer league. You had White who is 6'5", Daye at 6'11", Summers at about 6'9", Jerebko at 6'10" and Monroe at 6'10". That is a huge lineup to deal with. I'm not saying all these guys are going to be superstars but Joe D is trying to add size to the Pistons. If you read Daye's blog and read what Kuester has been quoted as saying Daye at SG is going to happen. His minutes will primarily be split between the 2 and 3 positions. I think this is a smart way to develop his game. I don't like comparing him to Dirk because he definitely isn't Dirk. His skills are different. I think it's a great way to try to use them. If this idea works, it could have a huge payoff for the Pistons. Rip is going to be traded. BG is not a full time starter. Within the next year or so if Daye can develop his game he has a really big opportunity here.
yeah, I see him as a 3/2. sure, hes not as fast as the top tier 2s, but hes long enough to make up some of that. Dude's handles are too good to try and force him into a 4. he'll never be bulky enough and it doesnt take advantage of his skill set IMO.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Exactly, and could you imagine a back court of Daye (6'11") and Stuckey (6'5")? There would be no team in the league that could put that kind of size on the court. With the way Charlie can shoot 3's too, we'd be stretching the floor all the time. Daye is just too smooth of a scorer to no try at that position.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:22 PM   #7
DetroitPiston
Soundcatcher

DetroitPiston is considered somewhat coolDetroitPiston is considered somewhat coolDetroitPiston is considered somewhat cool

As long as it's for versatility, sure. I see as more of a small forward anyway.
DetroitPiston is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: