Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 07-25-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Default Dez Bryant won't allow "rookie hazing"

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl...ory?id=5409306

Quote:
SAN ANTONIO -- Receiver Dez Bryant has done everything right on the field during the first two days of Dallas Cowboys training camp, but he refuses to participate in an NFL rite of passage.

According to the rookie first-round pick, Roy Williams and the other veteran receivers can carry their own shoulder pads after practice.

Williams gave his pads to Bryant after Sunday's morning practice, but Bryant declined to carry them. Williams threatened to go to "step two" when talking to reporters.

"I'm not doing it," Bryant said. "I feel like I was drafted to play football, not carry another player's pads."

"If I was a free agent, it would still be the same thing. I just feel like I'm here to play football. I'm here to try to help win a championship, not carry someone's pads. I'm saying that out of no disrespect to [anyone]."

It's a common duty for rookies, who typically get some sort of hazing. Bill Parcells used to make first-round picks bring him water during breaks in practice. The Cowboys' rookie offensive linemen are given awful haircuts by the veterans at some point during each training camp.

"Everybody has to go through it," Williams said. "I had to go through it. No matter if you're a No. 1 pick or the 7,000th pick, you've still got to do something when you're a rookie.

"I carried pads. I paid for dinners. I paid for lunches. I did everything I was supposed to do, because I didn't want to be that guy."

What would "step two" be?

"We'll find out. Definitely going to find out," Williams said. "I don't know. I've seen guys take people's credit cards and go fill up their cards and wife's cards and everything. There's a lot of dirt that goes on in that locker room."
As a rookie, I would probably pay my dues and carry Witten or Barber's pads. But Roy Williams? Yeah, he should probably be carrying Dez's pads.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:23 PM   #2
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Default Re: Dez Bryant won't allow "rookie hazing"

Prick move.

Guy shouldn't take himself so seriously.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

oh noezzz...

this is going to be a very long year of media hyped Roy vs. Dez

I would like to see the situation live to see who was being the prick here...it could be that Roy was really being a prick, or maybe it was Dez...there is no way to know...
-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

dez isn't taking roy's pads he's taking roy's job, burr.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:46 PM   #5
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

I think "Step two" is washing jock straps.
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:33 AM   #6
takeittothehoop
ISH Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2V1GP
I think "Step two" is washing jock straps.
lol I can only imagine..

Dez doesn't have to do sh*t though..It's not like Wade Phillips is going to say "Do whatever the older guys ask you to do no matter what".

If he plays well during the season no one will even care about this..
takeittothehoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

I don't know. EVERY rookie goes through similar hazing. Why is Dez Bryant so special that he doesn't have to do the same stuff every rookie's gone through? According to the report, all it was was carrying shoulder pads.

Just when I was getting to the point of saying maybe I was wrong about Dez after he signed his contract so fast, he pulls something like this? The ONLY way I give him a pass is if Roy Williams was doing more than just telling him to carry his shoulder pads. But if that's all there was to it, Dez needs to grow up.
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
dez isn't taking roy's pads he's taking roy's job, burr.

Just what I was thinking.

Roy Williams should be carrying Dez's pads after his performance last season.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
Desperado
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2V1GP
I don't know. EVERY rookie goes through similar hazing. Why is Dez Bryant so special that he doesn't have to do the same stuff every rookie's gone through? According to the report, all it was was carrying shoulder pads.

Just when I was getting to the point of saying maybe I was wrong about Dez after he signed his contract so fast, he pulls something like this? The ONLY way I give him a pass is if Roy Williams was doing more than just telling him to carry his shoulder pads. But if that's all there was to it, Dez needs to grow up.

Yup.

Why shouldn't he have to go through the same stuff every rookie goes through? He ain't even a top 10 draft pick......should have just went through with it, get it over with instead of making himself look bad and steering up controversy.
Desperado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #10
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Him not being a top 10 pick is irrelevant. He could have been the consensus #1 pick and he is subjected to rookie hazing. Everyone before him has been apart of it so Dez shouldnt have an issue with him. I would understand if it was because of who it was not so much what was asked of him to do. Roy Williams is by far one of the most selfish players in the NFL and made that much known in Detroit. He has dogged it in Dallas and here he comes wanting to flex his veteran badge to make a rookie do something. Miles Austin? Fine, no problem. No hesistation. But Roy Williams? Just funny to me. You dont even carry your own f*cking weight in real games and you want me to carry your shoulder pads? Seriously? I'd still do it but it would make me feel some sort of way. If anything just motivate me more to take his job.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #11
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Him not being a top 10 pick is irrelevant. He could have been the consensus #1 pick and he is subjected to rookie hazing. Everyone before him has been apart of it so Dez shouldnt have an issue with him. I would understand if it was because of who it was not so much what was asked of him to do. Roy Williams is by far one of the most selfish players in the NFL and made that much known in Detroit. He has dogged it in Dallas and here he comes wanting to flex his veteran badge to make a rookie do something. Miles Austin? Fine, no problem. No hesistation. But Roy Williams? Just funny to me. You dont even carry your own f*cking weight in real games and you want me to carry your shoulder pads? Seriously? I'd still do it but it would make me feel some sort of way. If anything just motivate me more to take his job.
did you watch Hard Knocks with Dallas?

Pacman Jones hazed Felix Jones...dumped a bucket of water on him before he was going to bed at night...

Pacman Jones was a min-paid criminal nickle-back...as you know
Old 07-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #12
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Herm Edwards on ESPN just 2 minutes ago:

"This happens all the time in the NFL, there is always a rookie on the team that doesn't like the hazing, and as a coach you just have to look past it and let the players work it out themselves."

IT IS JUST BECAUSE IT IS THE COWBOYS!!!

you think if Germain Gresham refused his hazing any of us would hear about it???....no way, they don't have a media tornado in their camp...and no one would care even if it was reported...

the only reason this is getting any attention is because it is Dallas, I bet there will be several rookies that do similiar things THIS YEAR...
Old 07-26-2010, 06:55 PM   #13
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

It happened with the NYG and Jeremy Shockey when he punched a teammate Brandon Short I believe in the face. That made news/had an article just like this. So enough of the world against Dallas, all eyes on them theory. Dez is a high profiled athlete much like Shockey was coming out of the "U".

And I'm unsure about the tidbit on Pacman Jones and Felix Jones. Maybe there was a point made or something.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:01 PM   #14
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
It happened with the NYG and Jeremy Shockey when he punched a teammate Brandon Short I believe in the face. That made news/had an article just like this. So enough of the world against Dallas, all eyes on them theory. Dez is a high profiled athlete much like Shockey was coming out of the "U".

And I'm unsure about the tidbit on Pacman Jones and Felix Jones. Maybe there was a point made or something.
you said who is Roy to haze Dez..."Roy can't even hold his own weight"...ect

PACMAN WAS A MIN-PAID SCRUB NICKLE BACK!!!

point was, it shouldn't matter who the vet is that is hazing you, what their stats were, ect...there is no rule that states "only probowlers can haze rookies"....
Old 07-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #15
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by -playmaker-
you said who is Roy to haze Dez..."Roy can't even hold his own weight"...ect

PACMAN WAS A MIN-PAID SCRUB NICKLE BACK!!!

point was, it shouldn't matter who the vet is that is hazing you, what their stats were, ect...there is no rule that states "only probowlers can haze rookies"....

You obviously arent good at reading and compehending what was read. Reread my post. Your point is worthless.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: