Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
The Myth
Banned
 
The Myth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 788
Default Quick question regarding MMA (Anderson & Lesnar)

I was not able to catch the fights on Saturday as I was out with my girl at the movies and such. So I just watched the PPV today, that is why this is being posted now.

So, lets get to the point.

Lesnar gets his ass beat for 1 round, then quickly makes short work of Carwin in round 2 with a submission. The majority of MMA fans across the internet come up with posts of how Brock Lesnar has been exposed, and the fight should have been stopped, and how Lesnar has no stand-up, and how he is not worthy of winning this fight. Excuse after excuse.

Anderson Silva goes on to get his ass beat for 4.5 rounds and taps out Sonnen for the miracle win. The majority of MMA fans reply to this fight with this;

Anderson Silva the best ever! The god of MMA! Everyone bowdown! Anderson Silva will never be dethroned etc etc.

There is no mention of Anderson being exposed, or anything of the sort. It was as if every MMA viewer that night knew Silva was going to win going into round 5.

Now this is not about how I believe Anderson Silva should get hated on for his fight, it was fantastic. I agree with the majority of fans about this fight. Silva is a warrior and the best p4p fight in the world, and it is a treat to watch everyone of his fights.

However, I think the MMA community should give credit to Lesnar when it is due. It is pretty funny to see most MMA fans hate of Lesnar because it is the cool thing to do Lesnar has done a lot for MMA since his presence but some fail to see that.

So why is that the same thing has happened to Anderson as it did to Lesnar (and even in a worse fashion) but yet the responses are totally different?

Anyhow, I thought this scenario was kind of interesting.

Last edited by The Myth : 08-09-2010 at 12:49 PM.
The Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
Poodle
Banned
 
Poodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,398
Default Re: Quick question regarding MMA (Anderson & Lesnar)

problem is there are just way too many homer fans in MMA. between Fedor, Silva, BJ, GSP fans, and the worst are Fedor fans imo, they're so extremely biased towards their boy they can't call it like it is. a lot of them despise Brock, they despise Dana, and its why you get illogical idiots trying to prop 1000x's more ghetto events/organizations and pretend to tell everybody either UFC sucks, or Strikeforce is better. But like i said there are a LOT of dumbass homer/bias fans in MMA, i dare say worse than NBA since fight fans are the biggest know it all condescending jackass's imo. the worst of which read Sherdog like its Bible, and repeat idiotic crap their fed like the UFC hate, or how all of these other leagues is good for the sport, not realizing that only applies to a fighters point of view, definitely not for the fans.

For how many times i've read dumbass MMA fans spout that shit about how 2+ leagues are good, happy/justifying fedor signing with Strikeforce, and making all of these dumbass excuses, the fact is there are a lot of know it all dumbass fans that don't think for themself. they'll make a 10000 excuses for fedor or silva, but put Brock on some scrub lvls. its the same idiots that hold that Pride grudge against UFC.....just take the know it alls with a grain of salt. thats my best advice about MMA, and even boxing, since boxing seems to have the same rabid fanboyism with the big names, given how many people were making Mayweather excuses with some obvious one sidedness trying to get the Pac-Mayweather fight done from Pac's camp

Last edited by Poodle : 08-09-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Poodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
tontoz
NBA rookie of the year
 
tontoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,428
Default Re: Quick question regarding MMA (Anderson & Lesnar)

There is a major double standard. It isn't like Lesnar got saved by the bell in the first round. He got back to his feet with a minute left in the first round and that was after pushing Carwin off him a couple of times.

As soon as he got Carwin to the ground in the 2nd he choked him out in no time.
tontoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.
 
bdreason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: HB, CA
Posts: 19,713
Default Re: Quick question regarding MMA (Anderson & Lesnar)

Probably because the rumor is Silva had 3 broken ribs entering the fight... and he still won.


I think Silva is overrated, and definitely has poor takedown defense.

Lesnar on the other hand is vastly overrated, and the hole in his standup game is more glaring than any weakness Silva may have.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #5
Zombles
Local High School Star
 
Zombles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,284
Default Re: Quick question regarding MMA (Anderson & Lesnar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Myth
Anderson Silva goes on to get his ass beat for 4.5 rounds and taps out Sonnen for the miracle win. The majority of MMA fans reply to this fight with this;

Anderson Silva the best ever! The god of MMA! Everyone bowdown! Anderson Silva will never be dethroned etc etc.

There is no mention of Anderson being exposed, or anything of the sort. It was as if every MMA viewer that night knew Silva was going to win going into round 5.

Hop on the Sherdog or MMAlinker forums for five seconds and you'll see the majority of people think Silva was exposed or that he got lucky against Sonnen or that his rib injury is a bullshit excuse; I don't know where you're getting any of this. Anderson Silva has become one of the most hated fighters among hardcore MMA fans. Partially because Zuffa pushes him so hard, partially because he started dancing, but mostly because they can't stand anyone but Fedor being #1.

But yeah Lesnar is probably THE most hated. Pretty much half of all the intense MMA fans today are disgruntled Pride fanboys who hate a fighter if he's American or he made his name in the UFC. If you're Japanese and wear rainbow tights you can flip the bird to your opponent and it's all good. Do the same thing as a former NCAA Division 1 champion and it's the end of sportsmanship as we know it.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
Brujesino
BoGawd
 
Brujesino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 209
Posts: 14,387
Default Re: Quick question regarding MMA (Anderson & Lesnar)

I swear it just depends on how you look at it.You say all you read was how Anderson fans were dayign how great he is he will never be beaten ever, i read it completly different i saw more anti silva stuff.


When you say all you heard is how lesnar has no standup, i read LESNAR IS THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME NO ONE CAN BEAT HIM NO ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year
 
fatboy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,809
Default Re: Quick question regarding MMA (Anderson & Lesnar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
Probably because the rumor is Silva had 3 broken ribs entering the fight... and he still won.
We'll see what the medical report/suspension list says.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #8
The Myth
Banned
 
The Myth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 788
Default Re: Quick question regarding MMA (Anderson & Lesnar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
I swear it just depends on how you look at it.You say all you read was how Anderson fans were dayign how great he is he will never be beaten ever, i read it completly different i saw more anti silva stuff.


When you say all you heard is how lesnar has no standup, i read LESNAR IS THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME NO ONE CAN BEAT HIM NO ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

True enough.
The Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
sunsfan1357
Word.
 
sunsfan1357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manteca/San Diego
Posts: 4,958
Default Re: Quick question regarding MMA (Anderson & Lesnar)

Yeah I've seen mostly hate on Anderson for almost losing to Sonnen.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #10
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year
 
fatboy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,809
Default Re: Quick question regarding MMA (Anderson & Lesnar)

What I've seen a lot of is people trying to point to the fact that Fedor never got dominated like that over the course of a fight. Why they're trying somehow to prop him up still as the best P4P fighter in the world after he lost and Anderson Silva got dominated but still won is beyond me. I'm a huge Fedor fan and couldn't care less about Anderson Silva.

But I do think the general reaction was similar to what happened after Brock's fight. A lot of people, and they're all probably dumbasses or have agendas anyway, seem to think that both guys got exposed and aren't long for the championship world. I could be wrong, but doesn't shit like that prove that they are true champions? I'd much rather see a champ with his back to fall, fight back, and win a fight than just see the kind of crap we've been seeing from Anderson since he fought Pat Cote (basically being bored and toying with guys that couldn't beat him if they brought someone else in the cage with them).

This fighting. It's not supposed to be easy. People are so hypocritical. The same people criticizing Anderson for looking bad and being overrated are probably the same people that complained that his weight class didn't have enough talent because he was making them all look bad. Now he finally has someone give him a run for his money and now he's overrated.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:37 PM   #11
Poodle
Banned
 
Poodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,398
Default Re: Quick question regarding MMA (Anderson & Lesnar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
I swear it just depends on how you look at it.You say all you read was how Anderson fans were dayign how great he is he will never be beaten ever, i read it completly different i saw more anti silva stuff.


When you say all you heard is how lesnar has no standup, i read LESNAR IS THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME NO ONE CAN BEAT HIM NO ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOBODY here said that tho. only ones that MIGHT have when i wasn't reading were WWE fans. IF anything during the whole Fedor - Brock smack talking Fedor fans acted like there wasn't even a possibility, most laffed at Brock having a chance against Fedor. and those of us that thought he had a chance, if not a good one, were VERY reserved with how we said it, along the lines of "Brock can win, IMO he has a really good chance"., then Fedor fans would laugh, mocking whoever said that. HONESTLY the ONLY ones talking shit like that were FEDOR fans

people reinvent so much here its sick. just like how Nico and knicks101 constantly try to reinvent the whole Nate Rob situation that went down during the season in the NBA forum where they were hating on him so much, talking about how much he sux, how they want to just release him, and saying he shouldn't be getting any time in the league and wouldn't amount to anything. most ISH knick fans were saying that early on that season. Then he blows up for 33 pts or something like that on a nationally televised game if i remember right, that a lot of them were watching, and all of a sudden they start talking shit like "we'd BETTER get something for Nate", "i kind of hope he doesn't leave", blah, blah, blah double speak....and now in hindsight these jerkoffs act like i just talked shit about how great Nate was, like i was wrong, when they were the ones that changed their tunes on him. a lot of people are f'iin jokes here and just jump opinions, don't hold themselves accountable for what they've said, and just make up BS later on reinventing shit.

anyways to get back on topic i dare anyone to find where someone here was talking that kind of shit about Brock being so great. Fedor fans were some of the biggest know it all dickheads there are in sports, and the way they talked him up like he could never lose, even after he lost the way they made excuses for him or denied they ever acted so confident he couldn't lose after the fact was just lame. and that stuff happens way too much here...

hell i wouldn't even call Brock fans people who actually like him. more people who respect his size and strength and know how hard it is to beat someone that physically dominating.
Poodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:42 PM   #12
Poodle
Banned
 
Poodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,398
Default Re: Quick question regarding MMA (Anderson & Lesnar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
What I've seen a lot of is people trying to point to the fact that Fedor never got dominated like that over the course of a fight. Why they're trying somehow to prop him up still as the best P4P fighter in the world after he lost and Anderson Silva got dominated but still won is beyond me. I'm a huge Fedor fan and couldn't care less about Anderson Silva.

But I do think the general reaction was similar to what happened after Brock's fight. A lot of people, and they're all probably dumbasses or have agendas anyway, seem to think that both guys got exposed and aren't long for the championship world. I could be wrong, but doesn't shit like that prove that they are true champions? I'd much rather see a champ with his back to fall, fight back, and win a fight than just see the kind of crap we've been seeing from Anderson since he fought Pat Cote (basically being bored and toying with guys that couldn't beat him if they brought someone else in the cage with them).

This fighting. It's not supposed to be easy. People are so hypocritical. The same people criticizing Anderson for looking bad and being overrated are probably the same people that complained that his weight class didn't have enough talent because he was making them all look bad. Now he finally has someone give him a run for his money and now he's overrated.


i think it just proves most of all how anyone can lose at any time in MMA. whether its a sub like that, or gettiing caught like lidell always does, even if someone is dominating the other fighter, at any moment either fighter could lose. thats pretty much the golden rule of MMA...too bad when some of us were saying that about fedor before he lost, a lot of people kept citing his undefeated record to pretend he could never lose.
Poodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:22 PM   #13
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.
 
Real Men Wear Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brighton, MA
Posts: 19,704
Default Re: Quick question regarding MMA (Anderson & Lesnar)

Lesnar is the (young) Shaq of the MMA. Sure, Frank Mir is more skilled overall but he can't beat all that size, power and explosiveness. And it's not like Lesnar has no skills, he's just not well-rounded. Big deal. Who takes David Robinson over the Diesel?
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #14
Pharcyde
Big like Magic
 
Pharcyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 2,283
Default Re: Quick question regarding MMA (Anderson & Lesnar)

Because Lesnar's fight could have been called in the first, the guy was dead and not even defending his face for a long time.
Silva on the other hand was never close to being knocked out because Sonnen doesn't know how to hit.
Pharcyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #15
sunsfan1357
Word.
 
sunsfan1357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manteca/San Diego
Posts: 4,958
Default Re: Quick question regarding MMA (Anderson & Lesnar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Lesnar is the (young) Shaq of the MMA. Sure, Frank Mir is more skilled overall but he can't beat all that size, power and explosiveness. And it's not like Lesnar has no skills, he's just not well-rounded. Big deal. Who takes David Robinson over the Diesel?
Lesnar isn't all that young, he's already 33 (Fedor is one year older I think), but I see your point. I think the lack of striking skills he displayed against Carwin though was so apparent that it made lots of people lose confidence in him. He can always improve, but he has to do it quick if he wants to stay on top long.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:35 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy