Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > San Antonio Spurs Forum

San Antonio Spurs Forum San Antonio Spurs message board - San Antonio Spurs forum

Old 09-01-2010, 01:09 AM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default Majority of Spurs are young

The San Antonio Express-News reports:

From a Spurs roster once described as older than dirt has sprung a new cadre of players characterized as younger than saplings.

Unless additional 30-something players are signed before training camp opens on Sept. 27, only three Spurs — Antonio McDyess (36), Tim Duncan (34) and Manu Ginobili (33) — will be older than 30. Richard Jefferson and Matt Bonner turned 30 in recent months.

The rest of the opening night roster likely will include at least five players between the ages of 21 and 25.

“We used to talk about how old we are,” general manager R.C. Buford said. “Now we have (three) guys above 30 but a lot of fresh, new faces. It’s exciting to me, but it probably scares the coaches to death.”
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
TMT
#1 Spurs Fan

TMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Majority of Spurs are young

It surprises me how the average NBA fan will still call us old. Despite the fact that we have a relatively young surrounding cast, and have been building and scouting these young players for a few years.

George Hill
DeJuan Blair
Tiago Splitter
James Anderson
Gary Neal

You can also throw in names like Gee, Temple and Jerrells who are all very young.

But as long as we have Duncan and Ginobili, everyone will still view us as an "old team".
TMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:19 PM   #3
SinJackal
Banned

SinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT
It surprises me how the average NBA fan will still call us old. Despite the fact that we have a relatively young surrounding cast, and have been building and scouting these young players for a few years.

George Hill
DeJuan Blair
Tiago Splitter
James Anderson
Gary Neal

You can also throw in names like Gee, Temple and Jerrells who are all very young.

But as long as we have Duncan and Ginobili, everyone will still view us as an "old team".

Basically, yeah.

I've been trying to explain how the Spurs aren't "old" at all, for like months. I've stopped trying to explain to dumb fans about the obvious. Stupid fans are going to think the same stuff anyway. Big waste of time to even bother explaining it to them.
SinJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:26 AM   #4
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinJackal
Basically, yeah.

I've been trying to explain how the Spurs aren't "old" at all, for like months. I've stopped trying to explain to dumb fans about the obvious. Stupid fans are going to think the same stuff anyway. Big waste of time to even bother explaining it to them.

2 of your 3 key players are so called old.......it's not as much their age as their physical condition.....Duncan moves like a 38 year old now & he and Ginobili break down way too much........those young guys are good but cannot carry a team to a championship.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
SinJackal
Banned

SinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
2 of your 3 key players are so called old.......it's not as much their age as their physical condition.....Duncan moves like a 38 year old now & he and Ginobili break down way too much........those young guys are good but cannot carry a team to a championship.

Ginobili was great at the end of the season, so to claim he can't carry a team makes it obvious you either watched 0-2 Spurs games at the end of last season, and have a worthless opinion based on that.

Duncan was also still legit last year. He merely played less minutes than usual. His per minute production was almost the exact same as last year, and almost the exact same as his last championship season (other than shot blocking which is down a little). His per minute production is actually about the same as it was six years ago.

Stop looking at stats and pretending like you actually watched the games. You obviously didn't if you think those two can't carry a team anymore.
SinJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
TMT
#1 Spurs Fan

TMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation here

Duncan had a great year considering the physical shape he was in last year. 18 and 10 isn't too bad for a 34 year old. Not sure how much his numbers will decrease this year, but hopefully the slack can be picked up by Splitter. Duncan is still one of the best leaders in the league, and will do so next season.

For that stretch where Parker was out last season, Manu was one of the top 2-3 players in the league. He's still a great scorer in the league and excellent three point shooter. He's been able to stay relatively healthy as of late, and will be ready next season.

These two may not be the players they once were but they can certainly lead this team deep into the playoffs if put in the right position.
TMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
RAPSPURS
I hit open 5-footers

RAPSPURS has decent reputationRAPSPURS has decent reputation

I'd say that Duncan is a VERY important part of the Spurs over the next 2 years.
He can still produce and perhaps even more important is the mentoring of Blair and Splitter. (reminds be of Robinson with Duncan)

Parker is an interesting case.
rumours have been floating around that he may be moved which would open the door for Hill. I like Hill but I'm not entirely sure he's a #1 guy

dogfight at SG! not sure who will emerge to share with Manu
I'm hoping for Anderson but he may need a year or 2 to develop.

I like the direction the Spurs are going. Hopefully the "older guys" stay healthy long enough for the transition to complete.
RAPSPURS is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: