Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-29-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
Poodle
Banned

Poodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputation
Default How long do you think you could survive out in the wilderness by yourself?

basically like a situation Survivorman or that couple survivor show does. you get a backpack and a means to make fire. but no other survivor tools. lets say this is the thickest woods near your house, and once you leave you fail.

how long could you survive before you gave up do you think?
Poodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: How long do you think you could survive out in the wilderness by yourself?

I would give up in less than a day, probably. I have the skills and knowledge to survive as long as need be, but if it were just an experiment I'd be like "Alright, my wankbank is running out of material - screw this" and go back home.
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
chrisxuk

Default Re: How long do you think you could survive out in the wilderness by yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodle
basically like a situation Survivorman or that couple survivor show does. you get a backpack and a means to make fire. but no other survivor tools. lets say this is the thickest woods near your house, and once you leave you fail.

how long could you survive before you gave up do you think?

If surviving in the Wilderness was a matter of live and death, I think I'd do alright. As long as I had a female accompanying me, I'm sure we'd have no problem repopulating the human race.

If it was just for fun, a day or at most. Depends what was on offer for entertainment.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

huh, interesting. Depending on the environment and vegetative community, I could survive indefinitely.

Especially in th chihuahuan desert, but Im confident that I could outlast anyone else on this board anywhere in geographic north america.

avy bet?
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisxuk
If surviving in the Wilderness was a matter of live and death, I think I'd do alright. As long as I had a female accompanying me, I'm sure we'd have no problem repopulating the human race.

If it was just for fun, a day or at most. Depends what was on offer for entertainment.
yeah, presumably there is some prize or something to make it worthwhile for you?
Old 09-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
Poodle
Banned

Poodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
huh, interesting. Depending on the environment and vegetative community, I could survive indefinitely.

Especially in th chihuahuan desert, but Im confident that I could outlast anyone else on this board anywhere in geographic north america.

avy bet?

just curious but would you eat plants, go after animals, or try to find a means to fish?

i'm a noob at survival, just love the shows, i'm sure i couldn't compete with anyone that has any experience doing it. i'd probably last 2 days at most but i always wonder this when i'm watching any of those survival shows.
Poodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

avy bet?

Yeah, me too.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
heyhey
stay mad golden state

heyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
just curious but would you eat plants, go after animals, or try to find a means to fish?

i'm a noob at survival, just love the shows, i'm sure i couldn't compete with anyone that has any experience doing it. i'd probably last 2 days at most but i always wonder this when i'm watching any of those survival shows.

plants and shrubberies at first since hunting will take a lot more energy assuming you have no other tools than firemaking ones.

Fishing is a good option tho.
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:35 PM   #9
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:

in most environments, plants form the bulk of hunter-gatherer diet. solo "prey encounter" hunting is generally energetically inefficient (though it does provide necc protein and fats). But yes, the bulk of my initial diet would be plants, mostly geophytes (underground storage organs - bulbs -tubers). I would also construct fishing weirs and other low energy hunting methods.

most wooded environments have very limited directly digestible, high calorie above ground plant components (other than seasonal shit like nuts and berries). Small seed resources and geophytes are your best bet, but both take a relatively high investment in cooking/processing.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:42 PM   #10
JayGuevara
Hellbound

JayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Depends on the location and weather. Put me somewhere up north in Michigan in the dead of winter and I'll make it about 3 hours at most.
JayGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #11
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

KeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Really depends on where the wilderness is. I feel pretty confident that I could survive as long as I needed to in the pacific northwest wilderness, but I doubt I would hold up too well in the desert or stuck on a snowy mountain or something.
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #12
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
in most environments, plants form the bulk of hunter-gatherer diet. solo "prey encounter" hunting is generally energetically inefficient (though it does provide necc protein and fats). But yes, the bulk of my initial diet would be plants, mostly geophytes (underground storage organs - bulbs -tubers). I would also construct fishing weirs and other low energy hunting methods.

most wooded environments have very limited directly digestible, high calorie above ground plant components (other than seasonal shit like nuts and berries). Small seed resources and geophytes are your best bet, but both take a relatively high investment in cooking/processing.

I'm pretty sure Booze wins this one.....

Although I'm down for the avy bet.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:06 PM   #13
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I would own anyone east of the Mississippi.
DeuceWallaces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:25 PM   #14
Jasper
Bucks Brigade

Jasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I unlike Duece Wally would eat game and fish.
I was in the woods today ...(How was your hike today DW??)

As for surviving - I have been in a couple pinch's in my life and the toughest aspect of surviving in my region is that I am in the snow belt range - - -
but I usually ice fish 3-4 times a week , so I would increase it to 6 days a week and let the population increase on the saventh.
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:02 PM   #15
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper
I unlike Duece Wally would eat game and fish.
I was in the woods today ...(How was your hike today DW??)

As for surviving - I have been in a couple pinch's in my life and the toughest aspect of surviving in my region is that I am in the snow belt range - - -
but I usually ice fish 3-4 times a week , so I would increase it to 6 days a week and let the population increase on the saventh.

You make yourself look so ridiculous.
DeuceWallaces is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: