Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-14-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster
Default So I'm about to start coaching....

I'm about to start coaching for the first time ever for a Youth Basketball league, ages 10-11. Supposedly, I've been put in the most competitive division which kind of makes me nervous being that I'm a first time coach. It's not like this is AAU or anything. No tryouts, one of those leagues where every kid that signs up in on a team I'm a basketball junkie so this is something I always wanted to try. Anyone here have experience with coaching? Any tips you can give me? Am I getting in way over my head?

For offense, I plan on just letting them loose but incorporate the pick and roll and screens. As for defense, basic man to man seems simple enough and I know how to run the 2-3 zone. Advice that yall can give me will be greatly appreciated.
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
sirkeelma
Local High School Star

sirkeelma has an incredible reputation heresirkeelma has an incredible reputation heresirkeelma has an incredible reputation heresirkeelma has an incredible reputation heresirkeelma has an incredible reputation heresirkeelma has an incredible reputation heresirkeelma has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: So I'm about to start coaching....

I prefer Run n' Gun type of offense. Young kids has fresh legs. But if you have a legit big man improve his D.
sirkeelma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
PowerGlove
By Any Means

PowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Watch out for those crazy parents.
PowerGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I coached middle school last winter. If they're 10-11 I'd probably even skip the 2-3 and get more basic with a 2-1-2. You said you're in a competitive division but they'd have to be pretty good to be nailing corner jumpshots consistently at that age.

You'll know more about what you can do with them after your first practice. You might have all this stuff in your head to do and then first practice be like "shit...these kids aint ready for this" or be too basic and think they can handle more. You could also say alright I'm going to run a man-to-man no matter what then show up to the game and the other team is 2x as athletic and your squad can't keep up.

I had an 11 year old on my team, played for Tim Legler's AAU team, and he was on like a 13 year old's level or so. You'll find soon enough that the team that wins games at that age 1) rebounds more and 2) makes layups. Everything else is just extra.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
50inchvertical
College star

50inchvertical has an OK reputation so far

First couple practices just have them do lots of running and push ups and the like. Just from that alone, you will be able to obviously see who has the most stamina and strength, but athleticism and grace overall which will then transfer to ball skills and how you use them on the floor. Like, you're not going to have the super tall but doofy uncoordinated guy handling the rock.

Teach them the press and have them press all game (or play what's called 100 defense which is just man to man, but you're with your man 100% of the time on defense so essentially similar to press).

You live in Houston, so I'm sure you heard about that team who beat the other by 100+ playing his third string (it was a HS) most of the game by pressing the entire game. Shit is hilarious because it works. You'll have other team's parents cussing at you and shit

And also takes advantage of single (or unfaithful) mothers, if you are good with their kids...; true story.
50inchvertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #6
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
... You'll find soon enough that the team that wins games at that age 1) rebounds more and 2) makes layups. Everything else is just extra.

yup, that's how i remember it when i played rec ball.
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:53 PM   #7
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Fundamentals. It's all about .. fundamentals
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:36 AM   #8
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I had a short coaching period and some assistant and most my teams were pretty successful.

Teach good rebounding, make sure they can make their layups, and the defense you'll figure out after your first little bit. I was lucky enough to have three kids with some of the fastest hands I've seen so our D turned out to be a lot of man (no one ran too complicated an offense) and we got a lot of fastbreak points off turnovers.

Oh yeah and turnovers are very common at that age... if you can cut those down you'll be golden.

More importantly be confident, don't worry about winning but more about teaching, and have fun. It's a blast man.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:30 AM   #9
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

chains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
Fundamentals. It's all about .. fundamentals
This.
You should just don't care about winning, it's all about teaching and the kids having a good time.
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:54 AM   #10
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

I would advise you to try to primarily plan a man defense. A lot of younger kids I see at least are being brought up without being drilled into playing proper man defense and are allowed to play zone from the get go. It's more beneficial overall for their development to learn how to guard their own man first.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:13 AM   #11
ZenMaster
Whap'em

ZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterZenMaster is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Are you only supposed to coach them one year or are you going to be with them for a few years?
ZenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #12
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballnoob
I would advise you to try to primarily plan a man defense. A lot of younger kids I see at least are being brought up without being drilled into playing proper man defense and are allowed to play zone from the get go. It's more beneficial overall for their development to learn how to guard their own man first.
I'd say that's a good plan (exclusive man-to-man defense). Until you get to high school, it can be quite easy to exploit the shortcomings of other teams simply because certain aspects of their games have not been developed yet. In short, a zone defense can work at that level not because of a defensive team's excellent execution, but rather simply because the age level of the offensive team often dictates their ability to bust it.

Therefore, like Bballnoob mentioned, I prefer teaching and practicing real-deal defensive techniques so my players can learn the fundamentals the right way. A lot of 5th grade teams could play a super lazy, essentially horrible zone defense and still dominate. I don't feel that will do them any good in the future. Developing the indomitable man-to-man defensive will now can serve them well for the future.

Also, other posters have mentioned fundamentals and that's clearly one of the number one things. I believe my duty as a coach is not necessarily just to win, but to teach the game, and to teach my players how to love the game. I say don't take things super seriously. I suggest not being the coach of 10 year olds who stalks the sidelines and pulls players anytime they miss a layup or blow a defensive assignment - it's not a good look.

It's a little bit of a funny situation, a balancing act. 90% of your kids are there just to have fun by any means possible. The funny thing is, winning is fun, so it's an interesting lesson to teach. With that said, I've also coached a handful of losing squads that still had a heckuva time.

Keep things in perspective, teach the game, foster a love for the game.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:30 AM   #13
chrisxuk

Old 10-15-2010, 10:18 AM   #14
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster
Are you only supposed to coach them one year or are you going to be with them for a few years?

It's just for one season. If all goes well, I'll try to coach next season too. Anyways, I just found out that we're going to have player evaluations/"tryouts" this weekend and the following week, we actually get to draft our team. Which is pretty cool because it kind of makes me feel like a GM also lol. Thanks for all the advice, everybody. Can't wait to get my Rudy T/Tex Winter/Phil Jackson on!
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #15
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

This sounds like the local town league I grew up playing in a lot. We did the draft thing. One thing to consider is that if you take a kid who's got a brother, you get them both, so there's some extra value there.

My guess is you won't get much in terms of practice time in gyms. So your big job will be energy. Stay up. Keep your bench up. Definitely instill a hard nosed man to man defensive concept. Do it for a few reasons. As said above, it's definitely better for development. But secondly. It gives some of the lesser kids a chance to excel strictly with effort. Even at the CYO middle school level. I always intall a box and one type defense, and a chaser double defense if for no other reason than I know I can use the back end of my bench for a few minutes a game just to run it. Man will help wear them out and let you use more kids. Preach pushing the ball on offense too. If someone is open and ahead of you ... pass it to them. That's a rule I still teach at the high school level.

If you do get gym time and are looking for some simple drills to run, feel free to PM me. I can probably talk you through some set ups.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: