Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 10-31-2010, 01:58 AM   #1
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Default Alabama WILL be in the Title Game if they run the table

Right now they are #5 in the BCS. If the Tide beats the remaining teams on their schedule the next several weeks including #1 Auburn and proceeds to win the SEC championship game, they'll get leaped over both TCU and Boise State and end up in Arizona for the title game and all hell will break loose.

No way the voters (or cartel as some people put it) are gonna stand for a TCU/Boise St. vs Oregon showdown for the nat'l title. It aint gonna happen.

The more I look at this, the more partisanship I actually see unfolding. I defended Auburn being jumped all the way to #1 this past week based on their win vs another highly ranked team, but it now looks more and more as if the Tigers were put at the #1 spot to give a "cartel" team like Alabama some justification for one of the top 2 spots if Alabama beats them and moves on to win the SEC title game. Propping a team to look good so that if they lose, the opponent looks good also. It's a win/win either way for "the cartel".

As long as Oregon and Auburn/Alabama wins out, Boise St and TCU are screwed. Count on it.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:19 AM   #2
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Default Re: Alabama WILL be in the Title Game if they run the table

It'll be the NCAA's worst nightmare if there are less than 4 undefeated teams (assuming Boise and TCU take up two of those).

Because I agree they will most likely put a one win SEC team over Boise and TCU. But that will open up a huge can of worms AND I wouldn't be at all surprised if they put Boise and TCU in a game together again. And if that happens there will be shit storm push for a playoff system.

But maybe not... if Boise or TCU end up 2nd in both polls maybe they'll have enough to come out of the computers in 2nd. But one thing is certain Auburn-Bama will determine a lot.

Now if Auburn loses AND Oregon loses we have a verrrrry interesting situation with two unbeatens.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:22 AM   #3
Jackass18
The Iron Price

I hope they get screwed over so there's more of an outcry for a playoff system.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:20 AM   #4
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

worst nightmare?

Boise goes undefeated every year and doesn't get in...

nothing will ever change...the system will always be garbage...

the ONLY sports sytem college or pro that doesn't have a freakin playoff system...lol
-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:27 AM   #5
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by -playmaker-
worst nightmare?

Boise goes undefeated every year and doesn't get in...

nothing will ever change...the system will always be garbage...

the ONLY sports sytem college or pro that doesn't have a freakin playoff system...lol

Right and that has caused us to reach this point with the outcry. Now they are ranked so high and thought of so highly that it will become a nightmare if the BCS ends up like the OP stated.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:38 AM   #6
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
Right and that has caused us to reach this point with the outcry. Now they are ranked so high and thought of so highly that it will become a nightmare if the BCS ends up like the OP stated.
I have personaly given up hope, seems like people have been crying out since I was born...
-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:26 AM   #7
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:11 AM   #8
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Eh if Boise State gets screwed it is on Boise State. They think they are too good to build their program the way Miami, Nebraska, FSU and others did, by playing true national powers on the road. Boise St. plays middling BCS programs, and expects that to impress people who no better. ESPN hypes them incessantly because Boise St. games are cheap, easily hyped because of their inflated record, and their victories lead to controversy their talking heads can seize upon.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

I hope you're right. As an Oregon fan, I'd be more worried having to play Boise State than Alabama. Oregon's offense would rape Alabama's defense. Yes, bama has a great defense, but they've never seen anything like Oregon has. Boise's defense is more suited to stop an offense like Oregon.
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:39 AM   #10
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
Eh if Boise State gets screwed it is on Boise State. They think they are too good to build their program the way Miami, Nebraska, FSU and others did, by playing true national powers on the road. Boise St. plays middling BCS programs, and expects that to impress people who no better. ESPN hypes them incessantly because Boise St. games are cheap, easily hyped because of their inflated record, and their victories lead to controversy their talking heads can seize upon.

Nebraska? Nebraska built their program by being Nebraska for the last 60 years. You're going to compare Boise to a team that has had conference/geographic connections with Oklahoma & Texxas for nearly a century?

Boise beats everyone that will play them. Tell Miami and FSU to play the home-and-home that Boise has offered to anyone that will listen. Thought so.

Va Tech is going to end up in a BCS game. Oregon State's ranked and better each week. Nevada will be Top 20 when they play Boise in a few weeks. Not to mention the results they and the likes of TCU and Utah have had in BCS games against the big powers, all of whom have had plenty of rest, reducing the "weekly struggle of playing the likes of Ol Miss and Iowa State" argument to a pile of crap.

ESPN plays a big role, you're right. The SEC is their product, so they hype it endlessly, pounding it into uninformed heads that they are inherently better than everyone else.

It's a closed door, old boy network, which has zero interest in delivering the best team. Instead, they'll once again deliver the team they've hyped the most from their handpicked choices.

For those that think Boise starting higher this year will matter or generate more outcry or change a thing...sorry. The games you watch don't determine the results of the college football season. A bunch of guys in blazers at a country club down south...with assistance from the humans that still dictate 2/3 of the BCS formula...decided in August who they wanted in the Make Believe Title Game. Their only challenge is making sure they get there.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:08 PM   #11
Dasher

Boise St. does have the leverage, or the history to demand home and homes. They have to go on the road like every other program who were at one time nobodies. Boise St. has never had to endure the grind of a real season. Play true road games against real teams in 2 for 1s and 3 for 1s like everyone else who has had to build their programs, and then they will have a leg to stand on with their complaints. Until Boise mans up, and plays anyone, anytime, any place, they have no claim to a National championship game.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:30 PM   #12
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

As they probably should.

Yes, I know Boise will be 12-0 and Alabama will be 12-1 if they win out, but going 12-1 in the SES is much more impressive than 12-0 in the WAC. I have absolutely zero problem with a 12-1 Alabama team playing for a national title over an undefeated TCU or Boise State.
KG215 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:35 PM   #13
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
Nevada will be Top 20 when they play Boise in a few weeks.

Nevada's schedule is a joke.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:45 PM   #14
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
Boise St. does have the leverage, or the history to demand home and homes. They have to go on the road like every other program who were at one time nobodies. Boise St. has never had to endure the grind of a real season. Play true road games against real teams in 2 for 1s and 3 for 1s like everyone else who has had to build their programs, and then they will have a leg to stand on with their complaints. Until Boise mans up, and plays anyone, anytime, any place, they have no claim to a National championship game.

Ah, history. Like MLB, the Bullshit Cartel Scheme likes to define itself by it's past. Because Bama, OU, Texas, Nebraska and Penn State controlling the sport when only 25 or so teams had sufficient budgets to attempt to compete is what should matter today.

It's amazing how Boise's opponents start out the year in the polls that are so important to those that support the current system...but are suddenly no good when they lose to Boise.

Nobody in the SEC built their program by playing all comers or 2/3 for 1's. They got it by signing a deal with ESPN.

You're among those with the antiquated, media driven notion that there's a big dropoff in quality between conferences. Those folks cite the depth of the big conferences because they can't tout the best vs best. Boise, TCU and Utah have put that myth to rest. So the whole argument hinges on "our 4-8 teams are better than yours". Nobody cares. So Ol' Miss might...I stress "might"...be better than Southern Utah. The results show what happens when the best teams from the respective conferences are matched up, both with plenty of rest. Ask Alabama or Oklahoma or Pittsburgh or...

The systems rigged. Always has been and, until such time when there's a financial motivation to change, it always will be. Those that say they support a playoff still buy tickets and merchandise to games that don't matter. The big schools lose money gladly on their bowl trips. Those trips exist solely to schmooze more donations from boosters and bring in recruits. The rich get richer and the monopoly thrives.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:47 PM   #15
Dasher

The system is not rigged. Teams know what they have to do to be contenders before the season starts, and that includes putting together the best schedule possible. Boise St. has not done that, and should not be rewarded for it.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: