Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 11-14-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Default Questions Running Through My Head

Feel free to answer as many as you want

1. Is Troy Smith for real? Takes over a 1-6 team and is 2-0 with them. 61%, 2 TD's, 0 INT's in those games along with 1 rushing TD. Is he the starter that the 49ers have been looking for or do you still see him as an NFL backup?

2. Is there 1 team in the league you would put in the top 3 of your own power rankings...and guarantee that they could stay there the rest of the season?

3. David Garrard may just be the league leader in QB rating after this week. Is anybody's mind blown? Mine isn't. Well, not completely. (by the way I would take Mike Jenkins off that team now )

4. 10 weeks in do you have any good grasp on how good these teams are? Chiefs, Raiders, Seahawks, Buccaneers, Jaguars, Titans, Texans

5. Will Mangini stay the Browns coach in 2011 with how well they've been playing? Is Holmgren still rumored to prefer someone else? Are there any "name brand" coaches out there that would bite on this roster with how well they've been performing or is a lot of this due to Mangini's work?

6. If Garrett leads the Cowboys to a 5-3 record or better, even without Romo, do you think the fans will want to keep him? Or still go after a big name?

7. In your opinion, has the Donovan McNabb trade been a failure? If you were Donovan McNabb would you want to re-sign with Washington? Did you feel the Eagles were dumb to trade him within their own division and do you still feel that way, or do you now think they were right to trade him where they could get best value regardless of location?

8. Have you ever seen a QB pass for 469 yards, 4 TD's, and 0 INT's only to lose by 20 points? (Matt Cassel)

Last edited by Posterize246 : 11-14-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:18 PM   #2
tpols
7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Questions Running Through My Head

1. I don't know haven't watched him but I wouldn't judge him off two games.

2. I would put the steelers up there to be a top three team.

3. The only game I saw garrard in was the one against the eagles where we raped him so

4. All of those teams you listed aren't that good. First round losses at best.

5. Mangini should stay.

6. Garret shouldn't be kept regardless because his shitty play calling was just as much a part of their terrible season so far as anything else. They need someone who commands respect.

7. In retrospect it was a great trade because michael vick is younger, fresher, and better. We should've shipped him to another divison/conference though just because washington would be a lottery team w/o him which equals easy division wins.
tpols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:18 PM   #3
tpols
7-time NBA All-Star

1. I don't know haven't watched him but I wouldn't judge him off two games.

2. I would put the steelers up there to be a top three team.

3. The only game I saw garrard in was the one against the eagles where we raped him so

4. All of those teams you listed aren't that good. First round losses at best.

5. Mangini should stay.

6. Garret shouldn't be kept regardless because his shitty play calling was just as much a part of their terrible season so far as anything else. They need someone who commands respect.

7. In retrospect it was a great trade because michael vick is younger, fresher, and better. We should've shipped him to another divison/conference though just because washington would be a lottery team w/o him which equals easy division wins.
tpols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:21 PM   #4
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Added question:

8. Have you ever seen a QB pass for 469 yards, 4 TD's, and 0 INT's only to lose by 20 points? (Matt Cassel)
Old 11-14-2010, 11:23 PM   #5
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

I think Garrett will have to do a lot to win the fans, but if he can win 5 games with Kitna that just might do the trick...
-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:23 PM   #6
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Added question:

that is really amazing...
-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:46 AM   #7
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

1. Is Troy Smith for real? Takes over a 1-6 team and is 2-0 with them. 61%, 2 TD's, 0 INT's in those games along with 1 rushing TD. Is he the starter that the 49ers have been looking for or do you still see him as an NFL backup? No idea. Haven't seen him play yet. I'm not going to get too excited about him, though, because he hasn't beaten a good team yet. His two starts and wins came by a combined 11 points over the Rams and Broncos. If he beats some quality teams down the road, then I'll start buying into him. He was a good game manager in college and even won the Heisman, even if he didn't deserve it.

2. Is there 1 team in the league you would put in the top 3 of your own power rankings...and guarantee that they could stay there the rest of the season? I would say New England and Baltimore, but even they aren't consistent on a week to week basis. Baltimore lost on a bogus non-offensive PI call on short rest in the Thursday night game, on the road against a very good Falcons team. New England, one week after getting throttled by the Browns, came out and carved up the leagues best defense. What gives?

3. David Garrard may just be the league leader in QB rating after this week. Is anybody's mind blown? Mine isn't. Well, not completely. Didn't Garrard lead the leage in QB rating two years ago? I just know he had a really good year two or three years ago. He was studly in the playoffs. So, I guess no, my mind isn't blown. Dude is a solid QB and has shown he's capable of doing this in the past.

4. 10 weeks in do you have any good grasp on how good these teams are? Chiefs, Raiders, Seahawks, Buccaneers, Jaguars, Titans, Texans
The Buccaneers, Jaguars, and Titans are the only three teams on that list I feel have the ability to win a playoff game if they get in, and even then they would need the right matchup. I don't think any of them are capable of just beating any team in a playoff game.

5. Will Mangini stay the Browns coach in 2011 with how well they've been playing? Is Holmgren still rumored to prefer someone else? Are there any "name brand" coaches out there that would bite on this roster with how well they've been performing or is a lot of this due to Mangini's work?
Mangini has shown in the past that he isn't completely undeserviing of that "Mangenius" moniker he got when he was with the Jets. He's got the Browns competing and playing a very high level, and they are a damn good 3-6 team. I don't really know squat about the Browns, but there's some talent there. IMO, there's probably only a handful of coaches in the league that could do what he's doign with this team.

6. If Garrett leads the Cowboys to a 5-3 record or better, even without Romo, do you think the fans will want to keep him? Or still go after a big name?
I think he would have to go 5-3 at the worst. We still don't know how responsible he was for that 1-7 start, but he certainly wasn't making things better. The Cowboys got a great win today, but how much of that was the team playing with a lot of emotion and wanting to prove something? And does anyone really believe - right now - that they will play this well for the rest of the season? The talent is there but they were a complete and utter mess through the first half of the season.

7. In your opinion, has the Donovan McNabb trade been a failure? If you were Donovan McNabb would you want to re-sign with Washington? Did you feel the Eagles were dumb to trade him within their own division and do you still feel that way, or do you now think they were right to trade him where they could get best value regardless of location?
Don't think it's been a failure, but a few more losses and bad peformances, and it's definitely flirting with "failure". I felt Philly was dumb at first for trading him in the division but I also had no idea Mike Vick was going to have this type of comeback.

8. Have you ever seen a QB pass for 469 yards, 4 TD's, and 0 INT's only to lose by 20 points? (Matt Cassel) In a word, no. That's unbelievable. And he didn't just lose, he lost bad.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:47 AM   #8
takeittothehoop
ISH Lurker

1. It's only a small sample size to judge Troy Smith. He's done well so far but he has to show the 49ers that he can be their guy at QB week in, week out.

2. Patriots

3. David Garrard hasn't been a great QB and he certainly isn't known for having a cannon arm but he got it done today. Jaguars still need a new QB going foward though.

Chiefs..8-8 or 9-7, playoffs are a mild possibillity
Raiders...Same as Chiefs, maybe one less win.
Seahawks...Who knows, I haven't been following them but they should be favourites in the NFC West.
Buccs...9-7, might miss out on playoffs
Jaguars..8-8, no playoffs. They're not that good I don't believe
Titans: 10-6, I think they will get their sh*t together now with Moss.
Texans: 7-9, I'm a non-believer and Kubiak will get fired.

5. I think Mangini has about a 60% chance of keeping the HC job with the Browns. He's done pretty well with very little talent this season.

6. Cowboys fans will want a big name, definetly. Names like Cowher, Gruden and Billick will make Cowboys fans drool.

7. I'd say the McNabb trade has been a success, the whole thing is being blown out of proportion IMO.

8. No I've never seen that, Phillip Rivers has put up those kind of numbers and his team has still lost this season though. Not by 20 points..
takeittothehoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:50 AM   #9
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Feel free to answer as many as you want

1. Is Troy Smith for real? Takes over a 1-6 team and is 2-0 with them. 61%, 2 TD's, 0 INT's in those games along with 1 rushing TD. Is he the starter that the 49ers have been looking for or do you still see him as an NFL backup?

2. Is there 1 team in the league you would put in the top 3 of your own power rankings...and guarantee that they could stay there the rest of the season?

3. David Garrard may just be the league leader in QB rating after this week. Is anybody's mind blown? Mine isn't. Well, not completely. (by the way I would take Mike Jenkins off that team now )

1. No, he is not the answer, he is just on a nice roll. He hasn't beaten any good teams, and they haven't been convincing.

2. Jets and Philly(only with Vick though)

3. Yes. It's a fluke. He is not THAT good.

4. All are pretenders except the Titans. They are the best of that bunch.

5. Mangini is doing a great job. He will be back next year.

6. The Cowboys will keep him if he does that good. Jones likes him, and that is what matters most.

7. I think we haven't seen the last of McNabb and he still has quite a few games in the division to do some considerable damage. Washington was correct to get him.

8. No, but I am sure it has been done before. The Chiefs got down by a lot early, and Cassel was just padding stats in trying to come back. The Chiefs had no option but to throw on every down.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:01 AM   #10
DeronMillsap
Banned

1. Is Troy Smith for real? Don't think he's for real but he might be the best that Niners have at the moment.

2. I think Falcons are for real in the weaker NFC. AFC, Pats, Steelers, Ravens and Jets...too many.

3. David Garrard is a an above average QB who has never constantly put up great numbers but always been a mistake-free. Remember a few seasons ago he had ZERO INT's through 10 games or something? I think he led QB ratings back then too. He's not a gun-slinger so even if he's having a bad game, his rating won't be too bad.

4. Chiefs, Raiders, Seahawks, Buccaneers, Jaguars, Titans, Texans...they're all mediocre.

5. Mangini should stay for one more season

6. Romo was pretty good late last season. Don't know any big name QBs that are availible. McNabb getting canned from D.C. after this season?

7. McNabb is done!

8. Don't think I have

Last edited by DeronMillsap : 11-15-2010 at 06:03 AM.
DeronMillsap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:18 AM   #11
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:

6. It's not so much the record, but moreso in how the team responds to Garrett's coaching style for the rest of the way. Judging from last night's performance, it's obvious that the Cowboys flat out stop playing for Phillips. The question is can Garrett continue to command the respect from his team and keep them playing hard for him. As long as the Cowboys play hard and minimize their mistakes, they're just as good as any team in the league and he'll definitely have a new contract.

A. People don't want to admit it, McNabb is an above average at best right now.
B. The Redskins are not even that good and would have lost to Philly if Vick didn't get hurt

8. This is because teams can't execute in the red zone.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:39 PM   #12
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

1. Troy Smith might be a temporary fix but I doubt he's our guy. In fact I expect Alex to start when he's healthy again because before he got hurt it seemed like he was their guy bar none. Troy has been doing a nice job but against fluff. As long as David Carr wasn't playing I think we'd have won those games with either Smith. I do think he shows some promise but I still get very nervous sometimes because he'll just sling that ball all over the place which can be good but also lead to some trouble so... I do like the W's though.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:41 PM   #13
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
1. Troy Smith might be a temporary fix but I doubt he's our guy. In fact I expect Alex to start when he's healthy again because before he got hurt it seemed like he was their guy bar none. Troy has been doing a nice job but against fluff. As long as David Carr wasn't playing I think we'd have won those games with either Smith. I do think he shows some promise but I still get very nervous sometimes because he'll just sling that ball all over the place which can be good but also lead to some trouble so... I do like the W's though.
Alex has been cleared to play again but is Troy's backup going forward and has "likely played his last game as a 49er."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/11/15/10/T...67&feedID=5936
Old 11-15-2010, 09:25 PM   #14
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Quote:
Alex has been cleared to play again but is Troy's backup going forward and has "likely played his last game as a 49er."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/11/15/10/T...67&feedID=5936

Yup I just saw that. I am very shocked cause it looked like he had the support of the locker room and management behind him but...

Now I have a bunch of questions myself pertaining to our future. Will we try to groom Troy Smith?

But the last game as a Niner has been said numerous times up to this point in his career. He could have bolted but wanted to stay so wouldn't be surprised if he does it again although why not go somewhere else? He'll get another shot somewhere.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:12 PM   #15
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:

I will handle this one....

I don't see any way, at this point, that Mangini isn't the coach next year. The improvements are vast and obvious. Now, a lot of that has to do with Holmgren/Heckert and the great personnel moves that were made in the offseason.

Those include getting rid of locker room cancers like Edwards, stealing Hillis for Quinn, adding Sheldon Brown/Scott Fujita/Tony Pashos, and drafting Joe Haden, TJ Ward, Colt McCoy and Shawn Lavau.

That is what you call an overhaul and there is no doubt that it made this a much better unit.

That said, the team has really rallied around Mangini. You hear people talk about him being a difficult coach to play for because he is so demanding of his players, but the FO has surrounded him with the kind of players that are willing to work the kind of relentless schedule that Mangini demands.

IMO, it has been the best coaching job in the entire NFL this year. Last year, the Browns went through the first three quarters of the season not just losing to teams, but not being competitive.

This year, we are 3-6 and very easily could be 8-1 or 7-2 with a few bounces. I've seen a lot of really bad teams over the years being a Cleveland fan. This isn't one of them. Actually, this team is good and will be battling for the playoffs next year, especially if we can add a No. 1 receiver and a legit pass rusher (the only two needs that we have).

Also, we have played THE most difficult schedule in the league and I don't care what anyone says. So far, the only team under .500 that we have played is Cincinnati. The other eight opponents were Tampa Bay, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, New England, New Orleans, Atlanta and NY Jets.

There aren't too many teams that would have a winning record against that brutal run.

Mangini has done a masterful job and it is clear that he has won over the locker room AND the front office. He won't be going anywhere.

People are throwing around the idea of Holmgren being interested in coaching again, but it isn't coming from any of the sources which I consider reliable. In fact, the people that I normally turn to when it comes to things like this are saying that there isn't any truth to it and Holmgren is very happy where he is.

I'm confident that he is going to stay here and continue to build on what has been an enormous success thus far.

The bottom line is, this team isn't just coming together, but we are very young across the board. If we can continue to grow with a head coach as demanding as Mangini and a FO as proven as Holmgren/Heckert, the future is very bright.

If Holmgren starts tinkering around with the coaching staff or if he leaves, things could return to mediocrity very quickly. I can tell you, though... There is a real excitement in Cleveland right now. You can feel it in the air.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 11-16-2010 at 06:39 PM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: