Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 11-22-2010, 12:18 AM   #1
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Default If Mike Vick becomes a free agent....

The Titans should go really hard to get him. It seems like the situation could be lining up especially after the tantrum that Young threw today after the injury.

They would have Vick and Chris Johnson. Deadly runners and a very good deep passer and then a deep threat in Randy Moss? That would be a very exciting offense.

I'm not a Titans fan but that scenario just seems too good. I hope this happens.

What do you guys think?
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:21 AM   #2
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: If Mike Vick becomes a free agent....

There is no way the Eagles are not resigning him.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:24 AM   #3
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
There is no way the Eagles are not resigning him.

I argue the same thing but my friends have brought up how they have also won with Kolb so if Vick asks for to much they might let him walk and start Kolb.

I dont agree and I think they should keep him at all costs but I could see the small chance that he becomes a FA and if he does the Titans should hop all over him.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bano114
I argue the same thing but my friends have brought up how they have also won with Kolb so if Vick asks for to much they might let him walk and start Kolb.

I dont agree and I think they should keep him at all costs but I could see the small chance that he becomes a FA and if he does the Titans should hop all over him.

They'll franchise Vick, so it won't matter what he asks for. Kolb is signed through next season, and it's not that big a ticket by NFL QB standards. Both will be Eagles in 2011.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

The way Vick plays you need an above-average back-up for the games he'll miss but Kolb may be too good to be a career back-up and might get you a good player or first round pick in trade. Nice problem to have.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

The chances of him leaving Philly are extremely slim. He's already given hints at his strong desire to stay here when he's been questioned. And he's also said that the fact Philly is the one that gave him a second chance weighs extremely heavy and that returning the favor would factor into his decision.

He knows what he has here. He's got a coach who he trusts and knows how to show off all of his talents, a young/electric receiving core and overall weapons, a great relationship with his teammates, and a whole city on his nuts. Most importantly he has security. He doesn't have to go to another city and start all over again in terms of proving to the media and the fanbase that he's a "changed man."

And he's got a team where he knows he can win games. Which teams need a QB and would be willing to give up the money that he would command? Carolina, San Fran, Minny, Tennessee, and ARI are the only ones in desperate need of a QB and why would he leave his current situations to go to any of those teams? Minnesota is the only one that you could say is a QB away from being good again.

It's to a point where it likely won't even get to a bidding war or anything of that nature. Kolb's contract was front loaded and he's making less than 2M next season and at 27 will be a good trading piece. And for the record I'm still a Kolb fan. I'm not like GOBB and Rasheed who both believe he's an NFL backup, I think he's a middle of the pack NFL starter in the league and regardless of whether that's true or not he deserves that chance. He's won games he's started, he has had success, he's a former 2nd round pick, and he's rode the bench learning for too long.

But yeah, it's about 95% that Vick stays right where he's at.

Quote:
Still, if the Eagles hope to bring him back and can't agree to an in-season extension, Vick said the team's loyalty could factor into his decision to return.

"I think so," he said. "When nobody else wanted me, they did. I definitely have to take that into consideration when it's time to make a decision on something."

Last edited by Posterize246 : 11-22-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
Bring-Your-Js
I hit 30-footers

Vick will stay with the only team in the NFL who even considered adding him as a Third String QB and be payed handsomely in the process.

There isn't a single team in the NFL with more appealing pieces to Vick than the Philadelphia Eagles. From Lurie to Reid to the coaching staff... And the Weapons.... DeSean Jackson is 23 years old. Jeremy Maclin is 22. These guys are SPECTACULAR receivers and absolute perfect fits with Vick. Add in a 22-yr old McCoy, a reliable (save for one OMFG moment) 27-yd old Avant, Celek.. The whole bit.

Philadelphia is finishing #1 In Total Offense and Points for years to come.
Bring-Your-Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:52 PM   #8
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
The chances of him leaving Philly are extremely slim. He's already given hints at his strong desire to stay here when he's been questioned. And he's also said that the fact Philly is the one that gave him a second chance weighs extremely heavy and that returning the favor would factor into his decision.

He knows what he has here. He's got a coach who he trusts and knows how to show off all of his talents, a young/electric receiving core and overall weapons, a great relationship with his teammates, and a whole city on his nuts. Most importantly he has security. He doesn't have to go to another city and start all over again in terms of proving to the media and the fanbase that he's a "changed man."

And he's got a team where he knows he can win games. Which teams need a QB and would be willing to give up the money that he would command? Carolina, San Fran, Minny, Tennessee, and ARI are the only ones in desperate need of a QB and why would he leave his current situations to go to any of those teams? Minnesota is the only one that you could say is a QB away from being good again.

It's to a point where it likely won't even get to a bidding war or anything of that nature. Kolb's contract was front loaded and he's making less than 2M next season and at 27 will be a good trading piece. And for the record I'm still a Kolb fan. I'm not like GOBB and Rasheed who both believe he's an NFL backup, I think he's a middle of the pack NFL starter in the league and regardless of whether that's true or not he deserves that chance. He's won games he's started, he has had success, he's a former 2nd round pick, and he's rode the bench learning for too long.

But yeah, it's about 95% that Vick stays right where he's at.

Sounds good but when the Eagles and Vick agreed to terms? I'll be convinced.

Eagles better not even think about using the franchise tag. And believing what players say in quotes can be tricky. We've seen guys say one thing then at a split second do another.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:55 PM   #9
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
They'll franchise Vick, so it won't matter what he asks for. Kolb is signed through next season, and it's not that big a ticket by NFL QB standards. Both will be Eagles in 2011.

The dumbest decision Eagles could do is franchise tag Vick.

Give Vick a deal then trade Kolb. A high 2nd draft pick in 2011 and a 2nd/3rd in 2012.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #10
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
The dumbest decision Eagles could do is franchise tag Vick.

Give Vick a deal then trade Kolb. A high 2nd draft pick in 2011 and a 2nd/3rd in 2012.

I'm curious why you think franchising him is such a bad move.

As for Kolb, I'd be in no hurry to deal him if Vick is resigned. He's played great, but his style leaves him even more apt to be injured. In that situation, a quality backup like Kolb is invaluable.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #11
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
I'm curious why you think franchising him is such a bad move.

As for Kolb, I'd be in no hurry to deal him if Vick is resigned. He's played great, but his style leaves him even more apt to be injured. In that situation, a quality backup like Kolb is invaluable.

There are quality backups who will be lookin for work this offseason. Trade Kolb while his value is high now than keeping him as a backup. He too eventually becomes a free agent then what? Lose him for nothing? With free agent QB crop being a bunch of tuna cans, and some teams lookin for a young QB. Kolb would be perfect to dangle out there. Heck Eagles were getting some good interest last draft. I understand Vick could potentiall get injured but to repeat myself again there are backups to sign for cheap.

As far as franchising Vick being a bad move? The guy paid his dues for 2 years. Accepted whatever role given to him. Didnt complain/make a stink. Been a model citizen, productive. He's doing all the right things. Why not reward him with a contract since he has hasnt had one in years as opposed to slapping him with a franchise tag? That is going to rub him the wrong way in my book. And then the drama will begin. People want job security. He likes it in Philadelphia. He appreciates them giving him a chance just signing him as a backup. He is even giving them the first shot to keep him. And you tag him for 1 yr? Bad move. You need stability at the QB position. Lock him up and move on.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #12
HAzE024
KRYPTONATE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
There are quality backups who will be lookin for work this offseason. Trade Kolb while his value is high now than keeping him as a backup. He too eventually becomes a free agent then what? Lose him for nothing? With free agent QB crop being a bunch of tuna cans, and some teams lookin for a young QB. Kolb would be perfect to dangle out there. Heck Eagles were getting some good interest last draft. I understand Vick could potentiall get injured but to repeat myself again there are backups to sign for cheap.

As far as franchising Vick being a bad move? The guy paid his dues for 2 years. Accepted whatever role given to him. Didnt complain/make a stink. Been a model citizen, productive. He's doing all the right things. Why not reward him with a contract since he has hasnt had one in years as opposed to slapping him with a franchise tag? That is going to rub him the wrong way in my book. And then the drama will begin. People want job security. He likes it in Philadelphia. He appreciates them giving him a chance just signing him as a backup. He is even giving them the first shot to keep him. And you tag him for 1 yr? Bad move. You need stability at the QB position. Lock him up and move on.

I never understood why players hate being franchised so much. Last year a QB given the franchise tag would make over $16 million GUARANTEED (This year it will be even higher). I understand the nature of the NFL breeds the desire for long-term security, but do you think Vick would get a contract paying $16 mil AAV guaranteed? Sure its a risk as a player, but even in the off chance Vick gets a career-ending injury next year and gets cuts, he still gets $16 million. If he doesn't, (the more likely scenario) he clears $16 million and then gets his long-term contract (assuming he isnt a one-hit wonder)
HAzE024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:33 PM   #13
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

What about the 49ers, if he leaves Philly?
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:35 PM   #14
The GM
#ballislife

There is no way he hits the FA market, philly will either sign him to an extention or franchise him. Kolb will be shipped out because alot of teams are In need of a starting qb and adam sheff said a few weeks back he'll probably be worth a 1st & 3rd much like Shaub was a few years back.
The GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:04 AM   #15
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Shaub got a 1st and 3rd? Swore it was 2 2nd round picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAzE024
I never understood why players hate being franchised so much. Last year a QB given the franchise tag would make over $16 million GUARANTEED (This year it will be even higher). I understand the nature of the NFL breeds the desire for long-term security, but do you think Vick would get a contract paying $16 mil AAV guaranteed? Sure its a risk as a player, but even in the off chance Vick gets a career-ending injury next year and gets cuts, he still gets $16 million. If he doesn't, (the more likely scenario) he clears $16 million and then gets his long-term contract (assuming he isnt a one-hit wonder)

Vick will get a contract worth more than $16mil guranteed for 1yr. Thats nothing versus what he could get as a free agent untagged. Playing for 1yr and you get injured, have a poor/mediocre season could affect how much money you make the following offseason as opposed to the prior offseason (had u not been tagged).
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: