Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-25-2010, 08:17 AM   #1
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Derek Jeter's contract up - Yankees suddenly fiscally responsible - Why?

Can someone explain to me why the Yankees all of a sudden, after giving irrespoonsible contracts with ridiculous back end money to A-Rod, Texeira, Burnett, CC (all of these have gigantic back end money that, with the exception of CC are probably all desitned to be 100% paying for past performance.) Yet, Derek Jeter - the Yankees cannot overpay him. They need to be responsibly and couldn't possibly overpay him.

What gives here? I get the fiscal responsibility, i guess. I don't get discovering it when arguably the most important player of your past 30 years is up for renewal.

Why? Why now?
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Derek Jeter's contract up - Yankees suddenly fiscally responsible - Why?

The contract they offered him is not fiscally responsible at all. $15 million per year for a 36 year old shortstop is beyond crazy. No other team will come close to matching that.

The Yankees are being completely fair in their negotiating. When he was a 26 year old player, they paid him almost $200 million. Now that he is a 36 year old shortstop, coming off his worst year ever, they are still offering him a contract in which he will be the highest paid player at his position.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
Done_And_Done
D & D

Done_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Derek Jeter's contract up - Yankees suddenly fiscally responsible - Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
The contract they offered him is not fiscally responsible at all. $15 million per year for a 36 year old shortstop is beyond crazy. No other team will come close to matching that.

The Yankees are being completely fair in their negotiating. When he was a 26 year old player, they paid him almost $200 million. Now that he is a 36 year old shortstop, coming off his worst year ever, they are still offering him a contract in which he will be the highest paid player at his position.

Co-Sign...

Something is terribly warped with our society when a 45 million dollar contract expended over the span of 3 years is considered a lowball offer to a 36 year old professional athlete. Some of these guys serious need a harsh reality check...
Done_And_Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

You guys aren't getting it. They hand out absolutely ridiculous contracts to average players and now they're playing hardball with the face of the franchise. Brilliant strategy.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
Sarcastic

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
You guys aren't getting it. They hand out absolutely ridiculous contracts to average players and now they're playing hardball with the face of the franchise. Brilliant strategy.

No, they hand out ridiculous contracts to players they expect to be good. The fact that those players don't live up to their contracts is a different story.

Again, they will be overpaying Jeter by about double what he would get anywhere else. They are not playing hardball with him. The only thing that is stopping him from signing the contract is his ego, since he has an obsession with ARod.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
They're offering him tons more than any other team in the league would be willing to offer. I don't see how they're playing hardball.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:43 PM   #7
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

People are really not getting it. They do this ALL the time. A-Rod has a contract that probably has 3 years where he will get $30 million and possibly not even be starting. Texeira had 2. Posada has 1. Burnett may wind up with 4 but even if he was pitching well, probably 2. The Yankees regularly give money at the end that is basically just increasing the base now by giving money at the end.

So for A-Rod - no problem. For Jeter - it's a problem. That's my point.

Note: What's with noting athletes get paid too much? NO ****ING SHIT. How is that relevent to what we are talking about?

Also, one thing i never get is how fans are very concertned that the players don't get too much. me, i don't care because the other outcome is the owner getting too much, not me or you getting a cheaper ticket deal.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:52 PM   #8
code green
C's Fan since Dee

code green has an incredible reputation herecode green has an incredible reputation herecode green has an incredible reputation herecode green has an incredible reputation herecode green has an incredible reputation herecode green has an incredible reputation herecode green has an incredible reputation here

the contract offered was more than fair for jeter. he hit for a career low (still an impressive .280 i believe) and his range is next to nothing compared to his glory days. that being said, hank steinbrenner and the rest of the yankee ownership have really handled the reaction badly. you can't publicly tell the face of your franchise to go out and see what the market is for him...sure, i'd be thinking it if i were them, but to flat out say it? stupid....
code green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #9
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

you gotta start being somewhat responsible at some point.

even the deal he is being offered is extremely generous.

he should take it and stop crying.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
NoGunzJustSkillz

NoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

LoL I never really paid much attention to the story besides article titles stating talks weren't going well. I assumed he was getting offered $7-$9m, but $15m
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:25 PM   #11
praneel
Stay Strong Droth

praneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation here

I think they should give him a 4 yr deal. Jeter will make up for it with the revenue he can produce for the Yankees.

They gave Posada a 4 yr deal when his deal was up? And it aint like they are hurting for money. I don't see why you would try this with Jeter?

Jeter is Mr. Yankee, its very smart to sign him because they will make money from all the milestones he will eventually hit if in a yankee jersey. Tshirts, mugs, pictures, etc.

What they should do is offer him a post-playing career gig. That would be a way to meet in the middle. The biggest issue is gonna be if he cant play ss, they can't move him to 3rd, or 1st? Maybe left field but how good is his arm back there?

And for the record, Tex is gonna be earning his contract also, that is a bad man. And a star defensively which often gets overlooked.
praneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:29 PM   #12
code green
C's Fan since Dee

code green has an incredible reputation herecode green has an incredible reputation herecode green has an incredible reputation herecode green has an incredible reputation herecode green has an incredible reputation herecode green has an incredible reputation herecode green has an incredible reputation here

you should hear them talking about this on NE sports radio. everyone's jizzing themselves at the thought of taking jeter away from the bronx.
code green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:35 PM   #13
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
No, they hand out ridiculous contracts to players they expect to be good. The fact that those players don't live up to their contracts is a different story.

Again, they will be overpaying Jeter by about double what he would get anywhere else. They are not playing hardball with him. The only thing that is stopping him from signing the contract is his ego, since he has an obsession with ARod.

Well no one else is expecting them to be good. I can't imagine they are either. Do you watch tv? Read the internet? They hand out millions to players that everyone else knows are on the downside or will crumble in the big market. Why start being responsible with the face of the franchise.

Quote:
They're offering him tons more than any other team in the league would be willing to offer. I don't see how they're playing hardball.

How is that any different than A-Rod or the other players they over pay. With this guy you actually have a reason to fork it over.

Makes no sense.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:41 PM   #14
niko
I Run NY.

I think people are missing my point. I'm not arguing Jeter's worth. I'm confused as to why, of all people the Yankees are making a stand with him when they had similar changes to make stands prior, or could make a stand later. People are answering whether they think Jeter is worth it or not, i'm asking what about Jeter specifically and this time is making the Yankees blink.

Jeter won't leave but DAMN it would be funny if he went to the Red Sox or something. I think i could listen to talk radio 24/7 if that happened.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #15
Sarcastic

Who are these bad players they were giving huge contracts to? The bad contracts I can remember are players like Giambi, Randy Johnson, and Carl Pavano. All of them were really good before they got to NY, and just either didn't perform once they got to NY or got hurt. It's not like they were giving $50 million to players like David Eckstein.

They gave a huge contract to Arod before the steroid thing came out. Looking back now, it's a bad contract, but at the time they had to do it. He was on his way to 800 home runs, and there was no one else on the market that can match his productivity. On top of that, he is a much better player than Jeter. Despite being injured last year, he hit 30 homers and 100 rbi, while missing quite a lot of time. He also signed that contract at a younger age than Jeter. In hindsight, the Yankees should not have paid him that much. They made a mistake. In business, if you make a mistake and learn from it, you should not make the same mistake again.

Jeter is basically asking the Yankees to make another mistake because he feels they owe him something. Well the Yankees don't owe him anything. The Yankees were successful before Derek Jeter. The Yankees were successful with Derek Jeter. And the Yankees will be successful without Derek Jeter.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: