Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 11-26-2010, 08:45 AM   #1
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Ohio St. Prez willing to talk against TCU, Boise St., etc...but play? Not so much.

Talking a bad game.

So, here we have one of the powers behind the BCS speaking up. Guy would actually prefer the old "system" (it's not even worthy of that label) to playing for the title. Some of his better quotes:
Quote:
"...[H]aving been both a Southeastern Conference president and a Big Ten president, that it's like murderer's row every week for these schools. We do not play the Little Sisters of the Poor. We play very fine schools on any given day. So I think until a university runs through that gantlet that there's some reason to believe that they not be the best teams to [be] in the big ballgame."
So, basically he's saying if you don't come from a BCS school you shouldn't be considered for the Championship...which is how the BCS is supposed t work, but he made a mistake coming out and saying that the system is designed to be unfair.
Quote:
(on Ohio State's run to the 2007 title game): "You know, it's a mystery. We were No. 1, then No. 11, then No. 7 and we ended up playing for the national championship. I think I kind of like that mixed-up mystery."
Worth noting and left unmentuioned is that State didn't belong in that game and got completely annihilated by SEC schools twice in the title games.

Please, someone with some power, fix college football. Please?
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:18 AM   #2
dak121
College superstar

dak121 is considered somewhat cooldak121 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Ohio St. Prez willing to talk against TCU, Boise St., etc...but play? Not so much.

I would love to see Ohio State play either Boise St./TCU. Both of those teams would beat them by double digits.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Ohio St. Prez willing to talk against TCU, Boise St., etc...but play? Not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Talking a bad game.

So, here we have one of the powers behind the BCS speaking up. Guy would actually prefer the old "system" (it's not even worthy of that label) to playing for the title. Some of his better quotes: So, basically he's saying if you don't come from a BCS school you shouldn't be considered for the Championship...which is how the BCS is supposed t work, but he made a mistake coming out and saying that the system is designed to be unfair.Worth noting and left unmentuioned is that State didn't belong in that game and got completely annihilated by SEC schools twice in the title games.

Please, someone with some power, fix college football. Please?

Unfortunately, college football has given all the power to the illegal cartel that controls the BCS.

Hold out hope for the anti-trust lawsuit Boise is pushing.

LOL at the "very fine" teams OSU plays. There's one team in the Big 10 right now that would have a chance vs either Boise or TCU, and it's Wisconsin, not Ohio St. Michigan St is as average a 10-1 team as you'll ever see, Iowa is ok, and everyone from Penn State down is overwhelmingly underwhelming.

If you haven't read the recent Sports Illustrated cover story about why we don't have a playoff system...basically, because the AD's amd presidents of the Big 6 conferences and the bowl games are making a fortune off this system...take the time to do so. Listening to Bill Hancock, the BCS chairman, talk about the "relevance of the regular season" and "what's best for the student-athlete" makes me want to puke.

Last edited by JMT : 11-26-2010 at 10:46 AM.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #4
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak121
I would love to see Ohio State play either Boise St./TCU. Both of those teams would beat them by double digits.

Agreed.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
dak121
College superstar

dak121 is considered somewhat cooldak121 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
Unfortunately, college football has given all the power to the illegal cartel that controls the BCS.

Hold out hope for the anti-trust lawsuit Boise is pushing.

LOL at the "very fine" teams OSU plays. There's one team in the Big 10 right now that would have a chance vs either Boise or TCU, and it's Wisconsin, not Ohio St. Michigan St is as average a 10-1 team as you'll ever see, Iowa is ok, and everyone from Penn State down is overwhelmingly underwhelming.

If you haven't read the recent Sports Illustrated cover story about why we don't have a playoff system...basically, because the AD's amd presidents of the Big 6 conferences and the bowl games are making a fortune off this system...take the time to do so. Listening to Bill Hancock, the BCS chairman, talk about the "relevance of the regular season" and "what's best for the student-athlete" makes me want to puke.

That is the hypocrisy of big-time college football. Conferences reeling hundreds of millions a year, coaches getting paid 7 figures per year on average and most players take podunk majors while getting in "trouble" with the NCAA for taking a ride on a golf cart, visiting someone's house for a friendly BBQ and all sorts of small time nonsense.

It's one big reason why I'm not that angry about Cam Newton's father asking for money. The whole system is corrupt to the core.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
That is the hypocrisy of big-time college football. Conferences reeling hundreds of millions a year, coaches getting paid 7 figures per year on average and most players take podunk majors while getting in "trouble" with the NCAA for taking a ride on a golf cart, visiting someone's house for a friendly BBQ and all sorts of small time nonsense.

It's one big reason why I'm not that angry about Cam Newton's father asking for money. The whole system is corrupt to the core.

Add in the phony "non-profit" status of the bowl games, and that schools are forced to buy thousands of tickets, at face value, for games that are nowhere near sold out. They cite an example where the band members from a school are charged $65 each to provide free halftime entertainment...for a bowl game with 20,000 empty seats, whose tickets were going for less than $5 each online.

Coaches and AD's get roughly the equivalent of an extra month's pay if their teams make even the most insignificant bowl game, while the schools typically lose money on the experience. The projected $700-800 million extra a playoff would generate would be divvied up between ALL schools...not just cartel members...so of course it's "not about the money".
Old 11-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #7
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
TCU athletic director Chris Del Conte responded to critical comments by Ohio State's president by suggesting the Buckeyes are jealous and challenging them to settle it on the football field.

Ohio State president Gordon Gee made news Wednesday by telling The Associated Press that if TCU and Boise State go undefeated, they wouldn't deserve to play in the Bowl Championship Series title game because their schedules aren't difficult enough.

"I sat back and just thought about our football program and our coach and realized that to start throwing stones at your house, they must be jealous," Del Conte said. "We have a phenomenal football program. ... And someone now starts taking shots at TCU? That means we've arrived."

TCU is 11-0 this season and sits at No. 3 in the BCS standings. Boise State is 10-0 and No. 4. One of those teams could get a shot at the national title should No. 1 Oregon or No. 2 Auburn lose one of their remaining games.

Del Conte said he'd love to put the Buckeyes on TCU's schedule.

"Anytime. Anyplace. Anywhere," he said. "Buckeyes against the Horned Frogs. Tee it up. Let's go."

Gee said teams who aren't in BCS conferences aren't challenged on a weekly basis, so they aren't worthy of playing for a national title.

"Well, I don't know enough about the X's and O's of college football," said Gee, formerly the president at West Virginia, Colorado, Brown and Vanderbilt universities. "I do know, having been both a Southeastern Conference president and a Big Ten president, that it's like murderer's row every week for these schools. We do not play the Little Sisters of the Poor. We play very fine schools on any given day."

Del Conte doesn't think Gee's argument is valid.

"Especially when I start to look at their nonconference schedule made up of the MAC schools -- that'd be Ohio, Eastern Michigan. I had no idea they were going out and testing themselves week in and week out.

"The schedule that we have in front of us, whether it be playing Baylor, Oregon State, SMU and our league games -- Utah, BYU, Air Force -- we have played a tough schedule."

Boise State president Bob Kustra, in an interview with the Idaho Statesman, also took exception to Gee's position.

"I just hope that when he speaks about his research profile or the quality of his university he's a little more believable than he is about athletics, because he's just so wrong on this one," Kustra said.

link
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
There's one team in the Big 10 right now that would have a chance vs either Boise or TCU, and it's Wisconsin, not Ohio St. Michigan St is as average a 10-1 team as you'll ever see, Iowa is ok, and everyone from Penn State down is overwhelmingly underwhelming.

A Boise State team that probably should have lost to a mediocre VT team? TCU, who didn't look all that good for most of the SMU game and nearly let SDSU to come back and win? People are just overhyping these Boise and TCU teams because of a 'root for the underdog, stick it to the big boys' bias. I'm not saying they can't hang with the big schools, but to act like most big schools wouldn't stand a chance against them? Ah ha. A crappy Oregon State team had a chance at beating TCU, but only 1 Big 10 team would have a chance? What a load of shit. What OSU's president said was stupid, but damn you come off worse than he does.

If Auburn comes back and beats Alabama are you going to add to your conspiracy theory how Alabama let Auburn win?
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #9
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

UtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
A Boise State team that probably should have lost to a mediocre VT team? TCU, who didn't look all that good for most of the SMU game and nearly let SDSU to come back and win? People are just overhyping these Boise and TCU teams because of a 'root for the underdog, stick it to the big boys' bias. I'm not saying they can't hang with the big schools, but to act like most big schools wouldn't stand a chance against them? Ah ha. A crappy Oregon State team had a chance at beating TCU, but only 1 Big 10 team would have a chance? What a load of shit. What OSU's president said was stupid, but damn you come off worse than he does.

If Auburn comes back and beats Alabama are you going to add to your conspiracy theory how Alabama let Auburn win?

Virginia Tech is 9-2 right now, I know the ACC isn't a top tier conference, but VA Tech has been good lately.
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:

You'll never find a post...not one...where I infer there's anything fishy going on on the field of play. The conspiracy exists in the boardroom, a point on which I've been quite clear.

You, on the other hand, have multiple posts where I've seen you cry about crooked refs. Took me about a minute to find one in the college football thread:

Re: 2010 College Football Thread

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow, ass-to-mouth got yet another gift. Maybe the refs shouldn't make it so clear that they're giving the game to A&M...

Back to the point. It amazes me that you still don't get it. The fact that you and I and everyone else differs on which team would beat which team is exactly what's wrong with a system whose results are 2/3 based on human opinion.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:58 PM   #11
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
You, on the other hand, have multiple posts where I've seen you cry about crooked refs.

I used actual numbers to back my stance. I've referred to a player getting suspended for a legal hit and how no other player in the conference has been suspended. There's footage of an A&M player trying to sexually assault a Husker during that game, but not only did that conveniently not draw a penalty, but he also conveniently didn't get suspended. I'm not the only one that feels this way. Many NU fans do, as well, and there's been a number of articles written about it. Fans of opposing teams have even commented about it. Some think the refs are just being anti-Pelini, though. Let me guess, the numbers are just a giant coincidence? Where have you backed your stance?

You act like the voters screw Boise and TCU over even though Boise actually undeservedly got more 1st place votes than Auburn and they're pretty damn close in both polls. That might change with Auburn beating Alabama, though.

Quote:
Back to the point. It amazes me that you still don't get it. The fact that you and I and everyone else differs on which team would beat which team is exactly what's wrong with a system whose results are 2/3 based on human opinion.

How don't I get it? I've already stated that the system sucks, but your head is so far buried in the sand that you don't hear it.

Last edited by Jackass18 : 11-27-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:41 PM   #12
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:

How don't I get it? I've already stated that the system sucks, but your head is so far buried in the sand that you don't hear it.

Yeah, a discrepancy in penalties against your team is a sure sign of crooked refs.

As you've stated, what you want is to have a playoff between the same teams that are represented in this sucky system. So you're comfortable with 2/3 of the decision being based on human opinion. I want to take human opinion out of the equation.

The system sucks, and instituting a playoff...where the contestants are determined by the same sucky system...is nothing but putting lipstick on a pig.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:57 PM   #13
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

seriously, STOP crying about the penalties in that game.

Nebraska has been one of the most penalized teams in the nation EVERY SINGLE YEAR Pelini has been coach. Nearly every penalty was an obvious call. The only truly bad call was the roughing the passer and refs have been calling everything this year that looks anything close to a blow to the head. As for the overblown crotch assault, you sound like you never even played. Way worse stuff goes on in piles and its always the guy retaliating that gets flagged. Deal with it you big damn cry baby.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:29 PM   #14
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

IlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Not true at all.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:51 AM   #15
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
seriously, STOP crying about the penalties in that game.

I was defending what I stated, idiot.

Quote:
Nebraska has been one of the most penalized teams in the nation EVERY SINGLE YEAR Pelini has been coach.

A&M leads the Big 12 in penalties and is near the bottom for all teams. What's your point?

Quote:
Nearly every penalty was an obvious call.

Wrong.

Quote:
The only truly bad call was the roughing the passer

Wrong.

Quote:
As for the overblown crotch assault, you sound like you never even played.

Yes, I've played, but I never tried grabbing on another guy's junk in a pile. Maybe in your bum**** leagues molesting other players was fine, but everywhere else it's considered cheap bullshit that has no place in the game.

Quote:
Way worse stuff goes on in piles and its always the guy retaliating that gets flagged.

Don't give me that stupid cliche like it makes it right. They could and should go back and review those things.

Quote:
Deal with it you big damn cry baby.

Yeah, discussing something on a messageboard is considering crying. Wow, aren't you so damn cool for saying that... I've been over it for a long time. We already ****ed up our season by losing to Texas. If we hadn't wet the bed against them, then maybe I'd actually be really crying about it.

Last edited by Jackass18 : 11-28-2010 at 03:17 AM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: