Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 11-29-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
Real Men Wear Green
BathFrog of Doom

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default A team from Texas in the Big East?

No respect for geography.
Two funny things:
1. This mirrors the Cowboys/NFC East weirdness.
2. Big East Football is so lame that they are reduced to robbing the Mountain West for a respectable program. The fact that they get an automatic BCS bowl bid is one of the lesser-discussed, disgustingly wack issues with the BCS.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: A team from Texas in the Big East?

Well TCU doesn't have to worry about that BCS bid anymore and the Big East gets a top football program. Win win.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
PowerGlove
By Any Means

PowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

How come TCU and Boise didnt join the Big 12? I thought that was the perfect scenario.
PowerGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
No respect for geography.
Two funny things:
1. This mirrors the Cowboys/NFC East weirdness.
2. Big East Football is so lame that they are reduced to robbing the Mountain West for a respectable program. The fact that they get an automatic BCS bowl bid is one of the lesser-discussed, disgustingly wack issues with the BCS.
its not like a team in dallas fits in the mountain west either. the closest mountains are 500 miles away (unless you count the boston mountains in AR, which are almost as far and certainly not "west"). They should join the sunbelt or, really, the big 12.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Tough to see how this move really benefits TCU. Right now, a non-cartel member is guaranteed a BCS spot if it finishes in the top 12; or if it is ranked in the top 16 and its ranking is higher than that of a cartel conference "champion" with an automatic berth. This week, TCU is ranked higher than any team from the ACC, Big Ten, Big East or Big 12. The last couple years, TCU hasn't had any trouble meeting those criteria.

I guess it hedges their bets on a down year, as they should run roughshod over the Big East with little difficulty. There hasn't been a conference team since 2006-7 that could come close to competing on a make believe title level.

The travel is crushing on a couple levels, not the least of which is I could see it actually hurting their recruiting. There's no glamor spots in the Big East, though they will get more tv coverage. But lots of kids go where mom & Dad can make it to road games. Long way to Storrs, Ct from Ft. Worth.

Ultimately, it's a shame they have to make this move just to get the same deal as teams all over the nation, for whom losing a game doesn't mean you're out of contention. Looks like the Boise lesson really landed close to home. Lose on the road to the #19 team in the country in OT and you drop 8 spots, behind multiple teams with 2 losses.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:25 PM   #6
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

All programs from TCU joins the Big East which means they get a huge bump in basketball. Not only do they line up a yearly BCS birth in football but they get to join arguable the best basketball conference in the country and possibly open up recruiting lines in NY and the east coast for their basketball team.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT

Ultimately, it's a shame they have to make this move just to get the same deal as teams all over the nation, for whom losing a game doesn't mean you're out of contention. Looks like the Boise lesson really landed close to home. Lose on the road to the #19 team in the country in OT and you drop 8 spots, behind multiple teams with 2 losses.

I'm interested to get your opinion on this since I doubt I will almost surely disagree with it. While I may not necessarily agree that Boise should have dropped all the way to #11 for their one loss, hat makes you think that if they slipped up once and lost to Nevada, that they probably wouldn't slip up 2 or 3 times in a AQ conference? Nevada may be ranked 19th in the country but they aren't the 19th best team talent and skill wise. Don't get me wrong, the duo of Kapernnick and Tuau is a deadly one. Is it necessarily fair that they lose one game and plummet in the rankings? No. But I'd still take most 2 loss SEC teams over a 1 loss Boise, and I would take any 1 loss AQ school this year ahead of Boise.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
I'm interested to get your opinion on this since I doubt I will almost surely disagree with it. While I may not necessarily agree that Boise should have dropped all the way to #11 for their one loss, hat makes you think that if they slipped up once and lost to Nevada, that they probably wouldn't slip up 2 or 3 times in a AQ conference? Nevada may be ranked 19th in the country but they aren't the 19th best team talent and skill wise. Don't get me wrong, the duo of Kapernnick and Tuau is a deadly one. Is it necessarily fair that they lose one game and plummet in the rankings? No. But I'd still take most 2 loss SEC teams over a 1 loss Boise, and I would take any 1 loss AQ school this year ahead of Boise.

I'm not a big fan of "probably" being used to determine the value of a team. Whether it's bogus pre-season polls based entirely on "probably", or devaluing a team's entire season after a loss by saying they'd "probably" lose to other teams. "Probably" is human opinion. It has no place in sports...except D1 football.

19th ranked talent? Are you kidding? What does that have to do with anything?

Cartel conference teams lose to lower ranked teams, in much more decisive fashion, and don't drop like Boise did.

Your stance on this mirrors that of the old guys in blazers, smoking cigars, counting their money and wiping the sweat from their brows now that Boise has lost. With TCU's move to the Big Least, your ol boy network can flourish for years to come. Congrats.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:15 PM   #9
KG215

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
I'm not a big fan of "probably" being used to determine the value of a team. Whether it's bogus pre-season polls based entirely on "probably", or devaluing a team's entire season after a loss by saying they'd "probably" lose to other teams. "Probably" is human opinion. It has no place in sports...except D1 football.

19th ranked talent? Are you kidding? What does that have to do with anything?

Cartel conference teams lose to lower ranked teams, in much more decisive fashion, and don't drop like Boise did.

Your stance on this mirrors that of the old guys in blazers, smoking cigars, counting their money and wiping the sweat from their brows now that Boise has lost. With TCU's move to the Big Least, your ol boy network can flourish for years to come. Congrats.

Yes, you've pegged me. I'm part of the "ol boy network" and love it when teams like Boise and TCU lose. I couldn't be happier that we won't have to worry about Boise being in the national championship.

And the word "probably" is opinion, but it doesn't mean there isn't some sort of truth behind it. Talent wise, depth wise, skill wise, etc. Nevada is a borderline top 25 team this year and any other year.

Get over yourself man. Nevada doesn't recruit the same type of talent 75% of the schools do in the Big-Six conferences. They'd be no more than a 4th-7th type best team in most of those conferences, even this year. Boise State, IMO, is still a top 8-10 team, but that loss doesn't look good. It's the world we live in.

There's no evil conspiracy out there to keep the little guy down so the big boys can take all the spotlight. You throw out the word "cartel" like it's going out of style.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:42 PM   #10
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Talent is overrated.

I don't ever understand this in sports: "Right now they're the nth best team, but not the nth best team talent wise."

What would that matter? They are the nth best team. Regardless of their talent level they are there for a reason.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:09 PM   #11
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Yes, you've pegged me. I'm part of the "ol boy network" and love it when teams like Boise and TCU lose. I couldn't be happier that we won't have to worry about Boise being in the national championship.

And the word "probably" is opinion, but it doesn't mean there isn't some sort of truth behind it. Talent wise, depth wise, skill wise, etc. Nevada is a borderline top 25 team this year and any other year.

Get over yourself man. Nevada doesn't recruit the same type of talent 75% of the schools do in the Big-Six conferences. They'd be no more than a 4th-7th type best team in most of those conferences, even this year. Boise State, IMO, is still a top 8-10 team, but that loss doesn't look good. It's the world we live in.

There's no evil conspiracy out there to keep the little guy down so the big boys can take all the spotlight. You throw out the word "cartel" like it's going out of style.

"Get over yourself"? You might be advised to take your own advice. At no point did I say that Nevada's talent was 19th or 119th. I stated the fact: it's immaterial. When did it start to matter what a team's talent level is in regards to wins & losses? It's not enough to have opinion determine the value of teams that don't play each other. Now you want opinion to have weight in actual results?

You're dead wrong. There is a conspiracy. The BCS (which is designed to limit competition and fix prices ie a cartel) and their AQ's have enormous financial incentive to keep the party in-house. They hold "non-profit" status for bowls which are decidedly for profit. They charge the people they claim to be protecting...the students...full ticket price to provide free entertainment at bowl games where unsold seats mean tix can be had for 10% of face value. They get money from state budgets that are long past milked dry. The lists of financial double deals and shadiness go on and on. It's driven by greed, as all good conspiracies are. And if making sure the Boise's and TCU's of the world can't crash the party will protect their ill-gotten gains, you better believe they don't think twice.

But you're right. It has nothing to do with "spotlight". It's all money.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:49 PM   #12
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Oh yeah, that conspiracy. Is that why Boise undeservedly got more first-place votes than Auburn last week? Is that why they were barely behind in both polls? Come on, Nevada shouldn't have been 19 in the first place. Their schedule was a joke and their best win was friggin' Fresno State. A lot of teams could have went undefeated with that cupcake schedule, but Nevada couldn't even manage that. They lost to a Hawaii team that got destroyed by Colorado...

As for talent, that comes into play for the preseason poll and very early in the season. It lessens as the season goes on.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:57 PM   #13
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
Oh yeah, that conspiracy. Is that why Boise undeservedly got more first-place votes than Auburn last week? Is that why they were barely behind in both polls? Come on, Nevada shouldn't have been 19 in the first place. Their schedule was a joke and their best win was friggin' Fresno State. A lot of teams could have went undefeated with that cupcake schedule, but Nevada couldn't even manage that. They lost to a Hawaii team that got destroyed by Colorado...

As for talent, that comes into play for the preseason poll and very early in the season. It lessens as the season goes on.

Now wait a minute. If you're going to trust the system you have to trust the system through and through. The BCS number next to a team is absolute.

So any team at any rank, it would follow, has to be there.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #14
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
Now wait a minute. If you're going to trust the system you have to trust the system through and through. The BCS number next to a team is absolute.

So any team at any rank, it would follow, has to be there.

You'll find their logic is circuitous. The BCS is great as long as it favors the Big 6 teams, and is flawed with all it's ratings of smaller conference teams. The numerical ranking doesn't mean anything; it's the team whose name is next to the number.

You're responding to people who think the idea of 8 conference winners in a playoff is unfair, because it leaves out good teams who have a bad day. That doesn't apply, of course, to Boise.

But they do support an 8 team playoff...as long as the teams are hand-picked by a select group that stands to make the most money on the selections. Just don't call them a cartel.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:13 PM   #15
KG215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
Talent is overrated.

I don't ever understand this in sports: "Right now they're the nth best team, but not the nth best team talent wise."

What would that matter? They are the nth best team. Regardless of their talent level they are there for a reason.

That was a bad way for me to put it.

Look at it like this: If Nevada had this schedule, what would their record be this year?

@ Georgia
vs. Alabama
vs. Texas A&M (neutral site)
@ Auburn
vs. Ole Miss
vs. Vanderbilt
@ South Carolina
@ Mississippi State
vs. LSU

Do they even go 7-5 or 8-4?

I know that's more "speculation" but it helps my point. Nevada was ranked #19 because they got to 10-1 with a cupcake schedule. How do they do when they have one three game stretch where they play Alabama, Texas A&M? And Auburn along with another three game stretch where they play at South Carolina, at Mississippi State, and LSU?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: