Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 11-29-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Default Is the running back position the deepest It's ever been?

I've only been watching the NFL seriously for about a season and a half now, so I honestly can't recall a batch of RB talent this deep. Feel free to bring up past eras.

I could rattle off about 15 names off the top of my head that are elite RB's, with another handful who are up and coming. That's a lot, no?

I mean, there's at least 4-5 guys that have an argument for best back in the league and it always seems to be changing.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:52 PM   #2
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Default Re: Is the running back position the deepest It's ever been?

I'd like to know who the 4 guys that are battling for best running back in the league.

I only see Chris Johnson & AP.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:00 AM   #3
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

^ Based on this year, Adrian Foster and Peyton Hillis
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:08 AM   #4
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

RB's are a dime in a dozen. You can easily find RB's in later rounds and turn them in to stars and they are also many times a product of their offensive line.

I'll give you two players and determine who the better player is:
Player 1: 199 rush, 905 yards, 11 Rush TD, 4.5ypc, 46 rec, 416yard, 2 rec TD
Player 2: 223 rush, 973 yards, 9 rush TD, 4,4 ypc, 27 rec, 105 yards, 0 rec td

Player 1 is Peyton Hills and player 2 is Chris Johnson who some label as the best in the game...

Last edited by knickballer : 11-30-2010 at 12:13 AM.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:41 AM   #5
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Peterson is the best RB in the NFL, I don't care what his numbers say compared to Hillis or Foster and he is not a "dime a dozen"...neither is CJ
-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:59 AM   #6
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Quote:
Originally Posted by -playmaker-
Peterson is the best RB in the NFL, I don't care what his numbers say compared to Hillis or Foster and he is not a "dime a dozen"...neither is CJ

Exactly.

I agree that running backs are a dime a dozen, but not these guys.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:03 AM   #7
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
RB's are a dime in a dozen. You can easily find RB's in later rounds and turn them in to stars and they are also many times a product of their offensive line.

I'll give you two players and determine who the better player is:
Player 1: 199 rush, 905 yards, 11 Rush TD, 4.5ypc, 46 rec, 416yard, 2 rec TD
Player 2: 223 rush, 973 yards, 9 rush TD, 4,4 ypc, 27 rec, 105 yards, 0 rec td

Player 1 is Peyton Hills and player 2 is Chris Johnson who some label as the best in the game...

Chris Johnson is still better than Peyton Hillis, despite his stats being lower this year. Hillis will never be able to get 2k yards. Never.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:59 PM   #8
TennesseeFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
I'd like to know who the 4 guys that are battling for best running back in the league.

what year do you think this is?
TennesseeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
I've only been watching the NFL seriously for about a season and a half now, so I honestly can't recall a batch of RB talent this deep. Feel free to bring up past eras.

I could rattle off about 15 names off the top of my head that are elite RB's, with another handful who are up and coming. That's a lot, no?

I mean, there's at least 4-5 guys that have an argument for best back in the league and it always seems to be changing.

I don't think it's the talent so much as the evolution of the game and devaluation of the RB position. It wasn't that long ago that every team wanted a stud RB who got the ball 30 times a game. They paid top dollar for those guys. But the rules that have benefitted the passing game have changed the value of the position. If even a top flight RB is only goin g to hold up for 4-5 years, why not have cheap, interchangable parts? So there are more guys, with more chances to stand out.

I love the earlier post re Hillis never being as good as CJ because "Hillis will never get 2000 yards". How many TD does Johnson have this year? Yards? Hillis is getting his with a bad team that's overachieving. And CJ??? It's the fantasyifictaion of sports.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:08 PM   #10
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
I don't think it's the talent so much as the evolution of the game and devaluation of the RB position. It wasn't that long ago that every team wanted a stud RB who got the ball 30 times a game. They paid top dollar for those guys. But the rules that have benefitted the passing game have changed the value of the position. If even a top flight RB is only goin g to hold up for 4-5 years, why not have cheap, interchangable parts? So there are more guys, with more chances to stand out.

I love the earlier post re Hillis never being as good as CJ because "Hillis will never get 2000 yards". How many TD does Johnson have this year? Yards? Hillis is getting his with a bad team that's overachieving. And CJ??? It's the fantasyifictaion of sports.
CJ is more talented, and will have a better career than Hillis...that is no fantasy...the way Hills runs his career will be about the same length as Marion Barber's...

sometimes stats don't paint the real picture...

I seriously doubt anyone really considers Foster to be a better runner than Peterson...inculding Houston fans...cause he isn't
Old 11-30-2010, 04:13 PM   #11
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
CJ is more talented, and will have a better career than Hillis...that is no fantasy...the way Hills runs his career will be about the same length as Marion Barber's...

I don't necessarily disagree, but I find that he'll "never get 2000 yards" is a pretty ridiculous standard by which to make the argument.

I'm pretty sure Eric Clapton is a better guitarist than I am...though I'm pretty good. But "because I'll never have as many guitars as he does" isn't really a viable reason.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:50 PM   #12
Stinky Dog
Local High School Star

Quote:

I seriously doubt anyone really considers Foster to be a better runner than Peterson...inculding Houston fans...cause he isn't
I think Arian Foster is better than Chris Johnson and I'm not a Houston fan. It's not outlandish at all, guys come from no where. CJ may be the faster back but when it comes to vision, power, hands, and various other attributes I'd rather have Foster. He's a more complete football player. He's having a MUCH better year.
Stinky Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #13
Stinky Dog
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine

You're also a huge idiot tool who blindly follows whatever everyone else says.
Stinky Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:04 PM   #14
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

I think the depth at RB is being displayed more than any other time because basically every team splits carries. Only a few guys get 90% of the carries every game. Even Peyton Hillis would most likely be splitting carries if Hardesty wasn't hurt.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:05 PM   #15
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Dog
I think Arian Foster is better than Chris Johnson and I'm not a Houston fan. It's not outlandish at all, guys come from no where. CJ may be the faster back but when it comes to vision, power, hands, and various other attributes I'd rather have Foster. He's a more complete football player. He's having a MUCH better year.
he isn't Marlo...half the reason Foster beasts like he does is because of Andre...

put CJ on that offense and watch the f*ck out...

Foster is a special player though, no doubt...the difference between him being in the game and Slaton is like night and day...but I am not even close to being ready say he is a better RB than CJ is...
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: