Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
Lakerlove420
a LAKER & a DODGER fan
 
Lakerlove420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: (805) So Cal
Posts: 2,564
Default Old-schooler ISH guys. bumping old threads. What's the problem.. Explain

About the topic of bumping threads...

I see that it does get to some people. I'm not sure why.
I kinda like it and I'll tell you why..

... because I'm new and probably have never seen it.
(probably the main reason you old-schoolers do not like it.
you've already seen it!

... if it's bumped..it's probably a good thread or has the possibility of a discussion. Just because it's been talked about before..It should be never spoken of again?

... I periodically (when main couple of pages are slow and old) will randomly just hit like page 500 or whatever. 08' or 09' whatever..just scan the titles and there might be a funny or something that I want to comment on.
(I don't see this as a crime or bad thing to make a comment on a message board)

I bumped an old one one time and all of a sudden there was a few people in there talking about how stupid it was to bump and all this crap.

I was like is the big deal.

it was my first time seeing it....had something to say.
That's it.. nothing more nothing less

I do not go searching for things to bump but I just don't think that it is a big deal.. so some of you guys that have been around for a few years please school me. Explain why this is a problem and why it gets to so many of you.. Maybe once I understand I would feel differently and think hard before ever bumping anything ever again.

Basically..just what's the deal? What is the unwritten rule??
Lakerlove420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops
 
lilbeastnani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chambs house
Posts: 3,037
Default Re: Old-schooler ISH guys. bumping old threads. What's the problem.. Explain

Good question. I too wonder why people get so butt hurt over bumped threads.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star
 
BankShot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,360
Default Re: Old-schooler ISH guys. bumping old threads. What's the problem.. Explain

If the bumper adds to or gives a new spin to the conversation that actually revitalizes the discussion, then thats perfectly fine and can be quite productive and entertaining.

If someone bumps with either a nonsense post or adding nothing to the conversation, its simply seen as a cry for attention.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
Legend of Josh
Banned
 
Legend of Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alch|e|mist
Posts: 10,231
Default Re: Old-schooler ISH guys. bumping old threads. What's the problem.. Explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
If the bumper adds to or gives a new spin to the conversation that actually revitalizes the discussion, then thats perfectly fine and can be quite productive and entertaining.

If someone bumps with either a nonsense post or adding nothing to the conversation, its simply seen as a cry for attention.

Case in point: starface bumping (not to mention, saving as favorites to his desktop) old LOJ threads.

Nice to know I'm loved though.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er
 
glidedrxlr22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: lakers r done
Posts: 5,260
Default Re: Old-schooler ISH guys. bumping old threads. What's the problem.. Explain

Yeah, sometimes there's no rhyme or reason to the bumping....personal agendas I suppose.
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #6
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom
 
boozehound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,429
Default Re: Old-schooler ISH guys. bumping old threads. What's the problem.. Explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
Good question. I too wonder why people get so butt hurt over bumped threads.
I dont think people are "butt hurt" over this shit. In today's example, I am genuinely curious as to why you bumped that thread. how did you find it? its not like you bumped it with a post that continued the discussion or anything.


It just seems odd that people bump random old threads, generally without a clear explanation of why they found it interesting/bump worthy.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
jaydacris
Rose
 
jaydacris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Knicks101
Posts: 19,217
Default Re: Old-schooler ISH guys. bumping old threads. What's the problem.. Explain

jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #8
Lakerlove420
a LAKER & a DODGER fan
 
Lakerlove420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: (805) So Cal
Posts: 2,564
Default Re: Old-schooler ISH guys. bumping old threads. What's the problem.. Explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
I dont think people are "butt hurt" over this shit. In today's example, I am genuinely curious as to why you bumped that thread. how did you find it? its not like you bumped it with a post that continued the discussion or anything.


It just seems odd that people bump random old threads, generally without a clear explanation of why they found it interesting/bump worthy.

I know that you and beastnani are talking about that other thread.
but I am actually interested in your thoughts on my original question..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakerlove420
... because I'm new and probably have never seen it.
(probably the main reason you old-schoolers do not like it.
you've already seen it!

... if it's bumped..it's probably a good thread or has the possibility of a discussion. Just because it's been talked about before..It should be never spoken of again?

... I periodically (when main couple of pages are slow and old) will randomly just hit like page 500 or whatever. 08' or 09' whatever..just scan the titles and there might be a funny or something that I want to comment on.
(I don't see this as a crime or bad thing to make a comment on a message board)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakerlove420
it was my first time seeing it....had something to say.
That's it.. nothing more nothing less

like this..what if this is the case ^^
just a comment.. In your eyes that is stupid?
What is it about it..If it's on the first page and it's old, it's wrong?

seriously I want to know
Lakerlove420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom
 
boozehound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,429
Default Re: Old-schooler ISH guys. bumping old threads. What's the problem.. Explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakerlove420
I know that you and beastnani are talking about that other thread.
but I am actually interested in your thoughts on my original question..





like this..what if this is the case ^^
just a comment.. In your eyes that is stupid?
What is it about it..If it's on the first page and it's old, it's wrong?

seriously I want to know
nah, I dont have a problem with it. if its a good thread with decent discussion/laughs I generally appreciate the bump. think how many words each of us has wasted formulating thoughts for a thread that will never be read again.


my life is a waste!
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #10
Lakerlove420
a LAKER & a DODGER fan
 
Lakerlove420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: (805) So Cal
Posts: 2,564
Default Re: Old-schooler ISH guys. bumping old threads. What's the problem.. Explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
nah, I dont have a problem with it. if its a good thread with decent discussion/laughs I generally appreciate the bump. think how many words each of us has wasted formulating thoughts for a thread that will never be read again.


my life is a waste!

yeah....thoughts lost forever

I hear you though..discussion/laugh worthy is ok.
Lakerlove420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #11
Lakerlove420
a LAKER & a DODGER fan
 
Lakerlove420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: (805) So Cal
Posts: 2,564
Default Re: Old-schooler ISH guys. bumping old threads. What's the problem.. Explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
If the bumper adds to or gives a new spin to the conversation that actually revitalizes the discussion, then thats perfectly fine and can be quite productive and entertaining.

If someone bumps with either a nonsense post or adding nothing to the conversation, its simply seen as a cry for attention.

also bankshot
seems you pretty much nailed it here early.
your response makes perfect sense.. .
Lakerlove420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:17 PM   #12
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star
 
BankShot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,360
Default Re: Old-schooler ISH guys. bumping old threads. What's the problem.. Explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydacris

Please tell me that actually happened and wasn't just set up for a movie or TV show
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #13
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops
 
lilbeastnani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chambs house
Posts: 3,037
Default Re: Old-schooler ISH guys. bumping old threads. What's the problem.. Explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidedrxlr22
Yeah, sometimes there's no rhyme or reason to the bumping....personal agendas I suppose.
Why does there have to be "rhyme or reason" for bumping an interesting old thread that got a ton of responses?
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #14
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom
 
boozehound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,429
Default Re: Old-schooler ISH guys. bumping old threads. What's the problem.. Explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
Please tell me that actually happened and wasn't just set up for a movie or TV show
its from the brilliant canadian show, trailer park boys. randy and his cheeseburgers
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:53 PM   #15
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba
 
rufuspaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 20,292
Default Re: Old-schooler ISH guys. bumping old threads. What's the problem.. Explain

rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:01 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy