Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 12-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
ljsbb27
Local High School Star

ljsbb27 is popular on this boardljsbb27 is popular on this boardljsbb27 is popular on this boardljsbb27 is popular on this board
Default Coach Thibs

What do you guys think of the job he's done so far?

Let's talk about his rotations, his substitution patterns, his timeout calling, and who he should and shouldn't be giving playing time to.
ljsbb27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
MaCC2MuCh
dont blink or i get by

MaCC2MuCh has decent reputation
Default Re: Coach Thibs

on a scale of 1-10 id give thibs a solid 7.....his rotations are decent...and subs out the starters late 1st qtr and gives the bench good minutes in the second.

while a considerably hard nosed coach,thibs gets along with his players and they have a high respect for him which alone is the reason why they've been able to come back from big defecits and win games....

very defensive minded and gets a ton of effort out of any team hes been a part of........also he has been pretty good with nice offensive schemes and lots of movement..

the only problem i have with thibs is that he is too loyal to some of his players like B scalabrine and K Bogans who both do absolutley nothing to warrant the playing time that they get....

overall thibs is a good coach who is only going to get better and hes a huge upgrade from vinny (no disrespect)....thibs may actually get to coach TWO full seasons....
MaCC2MuCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljsbb27
What do you guys think of the job he's done so far?

Let's talk about his rotations, his substitution patterns, his timeout calling, and who he should and shouldn't be giving playing time to.

I know the Bulls needed the heroics of Rose to pull off that come from behind win vs Houston but I really enjoyed that game that I watched it twice bec of their great ball movement and motion offense esp by Korver.
I give Thibs atleast an 8.5 bec overall, they are playing good on both offense and defense even if their 2nd best player was out for the first 14 games and they doing well on the very tough Western trip.
rotations are good IMO, esp letting Asik play to expose him not just for future battles but im at a loss on why he is not playing Kurt Thomas and JJ.
I know a lot of fans are upset that he is playing Scal but for me, its bec Scal knows his system, so he's less likely to make that stupid pass which leads to easy fastbreak points. Besides, its not like he is playing extensively, has been averaging like 6 mins/game the past 6 games, actually been sitting out games.
Again, I really think Thibs strongest points are his schemes and ability to prepare his team, creating plan B's and Cs, making good adjustments in the 2nd half of games, not allowing numerous layups, not committing a ton of mistakes etc.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:16 AM   #4
DrTheo
I airball my layups

DrTheo has an OK reputation so far

I would give Thibs an 8 , I am liking his rotations, however I think against teams with a big inside presence, Korver needs to play more minutes to space the floor. We need to find a way of beating these teams come playoff time and not let them receive the ball so deep in post.

I think his time outs are well placed, maybe need a few more plays out of time outs rather than just ISO DRose.

The defence is 10 times better than last year , and apart from last 2games, we are doing it without foul trouble.

Most importantly though, he is convincing in the role, he was a Headcoach waiting to happen where as VDN never seemed right to me.
DrTheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:48 AM   #5
Glide2keva
NBA sixth man of the year

Glide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation here

I give him a six.

He makes bad decisions sometimes, like the NY game, we could've won that game, but he raised the white flag way too early by benching Rose for no good reason.

He gives way too many minutes to Scal and insists on starting Bogans who worthless out there. Brewer, JJ and Korver can fill that void. Why is JJ buried on his bench, dude never gets in games anymore. And what is Thomas doing? Kurt Thomas, are we paying him just so he can hae good seats to the game?

His adjustments are solid, rotaions could be better by benchng certain players. Other than that, I like him overall.
Glide2keva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
ljsbb27
Local High School Star

ljsbb27 is popular on this boardljsbb27 is popular on this boardljsbb27 is popular on this boardljsbb27 is popular on this board

At times (too often) Thibs waits too long to call important timeouts and get our main guys back into the games either when we're digging ourselves into a hole or the opposing team is getting back into the game.

The other thing he does sometimes that I hate and am really not a big fan of is when he brings in the 2nd unit and has a squad of all reserves out there or that of one starter and four reserves. I don't like it. I don't like it when any coach does it let alone our Bulls head coach.

In my opinion you should always have atleast two starters out there. I'd like it if when Rose rested Noah rested.

So in the end of the 1st quarter-2nd quarter when you make some subs to give some guys some rest you'd have a lineup of:

Watson
Korver
Deng
Boozer
Asik

Then when you adjust that lineup and bring back Rose and Noah you can rest Deng and Boozer together and then have a lineup of:

Rose
Korver
Johnson
Gibson
Noah

(This is with Brewer being the starter and Bogans getting no floor time)

So when Rose rests Noah rests with him.

When Boozer rests Deng rests with him.

Obviously certain game situations call for adjustments but that's a simple guideline that I would try to follow.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
ljsbb27
Local High School Star

Anybody want to add any updated ratings on our guy? Is he getting better is he getting worse?
Old 01-07-2011, 12:59 AM   #8
Crystallas
Smile, you're on ISH

Crystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

His coaching skill is a 9.5
his sense of adjustment is a 5.
Rookie coaches need to learn, even if they have loads of experience as a right hand man.
Crystallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #9
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

TheGame414 has decent reputationTheGame414 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glide2keva
I give him a six.

He makes bad decisions sometimes, like the NY game, we could've won that game, but he raised the white flag way too early by benching Rose for no good reason.
I know you posted this a month ago but that decision was actually one of the most encouraging things Thibs did early in the season. It showed that he thinks like a real NBA head coach, and not a lifelong assistant who lives and dies with every possession and every game. Sometimes you need to ride your bench and be willing to lose a game for big-picture reasons. For one, you need your bench over the course of the season and you sometimes have to be willing to see if they can win a game for you. For another, if your starters are playing like crap, it's not a bad idea to send them a message, especially early in the season. Gregg Popovich is the master of this. That's a guy who knows when he's OK to lose a game to teach a lesson.

In that game, the Bulls' first unit was getting torched. Derrick had good numbers but was playing like crap, especially defensively on his slow rotations letting Toney Douglas go insane. The bench was what got the Bulls back into it and he decided to ride them the rest of the way. It was one of the smartest things he did the first few weeks of the season.

I know most of you posted your thoughts much earlier in the season but at this point I'd give Thibs a solid 8.5. I think he's been very good. He's settled into a good rotation and managed to get productivity out of Thomas and Asik with Boozer and Noah both missing huge chunks of the season. He's doing a great job of managing Derrick Rose's minutes. It would be easy to burn Derrick out and playing him 42 minutes a night, especially with how bad C.J. Watson is. But he's playing less than 38 minutes a night and is regularly getting lengthy rests at the start of the 2nd quarter, and if the Bulls are in good shape a good chunk of the 4th quarter, too. Even if they're struggling he doesn't panic and put Derrick back in too soon.

I worry that he might be too much like Skiles in the sense that they're both hardasses with terse personalities, and it could burn these guys out on him within a couple of years like with Skiles. But we'll worry about that in due time. For now, he's quickly established himself as an upper-tier head coach, in my opinion. He's a basketball lifer and X-and-O genius who has quickly embraced the necessity of looking at the big picture the way a head coach needs to.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:46 AM   #10
Chicago Brawls
Great young streetballer

Chicago Brawls is a pretty well-respected posterChicago Brawls is a pretty well-respected posterChicago Brawls is a pretty well-respected posterChicago Brawls is a pretty well-respected poster

We held the Detroit Pistons to 27 points in the second half.

Thats Thibs's value resumed.

I bet he did some cursing at the half too.
Chicago Brawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:23 AM   #11
Glide2keva
NBA sixth man of the year

Glide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Brawls
We held the Detroit Pistons to 27 points in the second half.

Thats Thibs's value resumed.

I bet he did some cursing at the half too.
Derrick said he did.
Glide2keva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #12
nightprowler10
Bring Back Bogans!

nightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

D-Rose looked physically angry towards the end of the first half. I love seeing that.
nightprowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #13
ljsbb27
Local High School Star

It's a matter of Thibs growing as a coach as our players grow as a team. Alot of new faces and a rookie head coach are going to have bumps in the road and we've had a few, but we're improving and that's what counts.

He has a few things that we as fans would like for him to correct, but the bottom line is that he's doing an awesome job, were getting better as a collective unit, we have a great record, and we have impressive wins.

It's only going to get better and I'm excited for that.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:37 PM   #14
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystallas
His coaching skill is a 9.5
his sense of adjustment is a 5.
Rookie coaches need to learn, even if they have loads of experience as a right hand man.

Winning 62 games, I think he learned from his mistakes quickly?
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: