Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
Black Magic
I brick open layups

Default Where does the newer generation of rappers rank?

When people give there top 10-20 it mostly consist of rappers from the 80's and 90's but what about the newer rappers or current rappers where do they rank? Is it crazy to put someone like Kanye West in the top 10 or even top 5? I know guys like T.I. and Wayne have been rapping forever but I still consider them the newer generation. Only guys that get mentioned as a top 10 rapper are Eminem and Jay-Z.

T.I. has had huge commercial success with his albums, he had many #1 hit songs, and is a very popular rapper and his lyrics get better each time he puts an album out. I think T.I. could rank as a #10 or #11 all time rapper imo..

what about Kanye West, being so original and doing things differently also having huge commerical sucess and many hit records.. And of course you got Wayne who imo in say 5-6 years people will have to put him in the top 10... just wanted to get your guy's thoughts on where you rank these rappers and when they retire if they could climb that top 10 rapper list if they haven't already..
Black Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Default Re: Where does the newer generation of rappers rank?

Are Em and Jay-Z really part of the new generation? Both have been in the game nearly 15 years, Hova even longer.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
RekeHavoc
I airball my layups

Kanye has had the longevity and revolutionized hip-hop, definitely deserves a spot in the top 10 and he'll rise after he's out of the game for a while.
RekeHavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
Black Magic
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Are Em and Jay-Z really part of the new generation? Both have been in the game nearly 15 years, Hova even longer.

I would consider Em more of the new generation since his best stuff came in 2000-2003 imo.. Jay probably belongs more with the 90's rappers but for some reason I just see him as the new generation of rappers although he's been doing this forever lol
Old 12-16-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
Premeditated
Banned

this is by far going to be the golden era for hip hop. all types of talents are coming out. Kanye West alone is more cultivating than anyone in the past not name Jay z, Ice cube, Tribe Called Quest and Rakim.
Premeditated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
RekeHavoc
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Magic
I would consider Em more of the new generation since his best stuff came in 2000-2003 imo.. Jay probably belongs more with the 90's rappers but for some reason I just see him as the new generation of rappers although he's been doing this forever lol

What made Jay and Eminem so great, in my opinion, is that throughout their careers they adjusted to bring the same passion while re-inventing themselves or going in different directions to stay new and not old news. Some people view this as a negative, but that's why they've been so successful. A rapper like Nas, for example, isn't as keen as adapting with the rap game and people got kinda tired of him after some time, not to take anything away from his earlier records where he was truly one of the best ever.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
Wisdom Teller
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Wisdom... "Hip-Hop aint dead it just had a heart attack"

-Wisdom Teller
Wisdom Teller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #8
Black Magic
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by RekeHavoc
What made Jay and Eminem so great, in my opinion, is that throughout their careers they adjusted to bring the same passion while re-inventing themselves or going in different directions to stay new and not old news. Some people view this as a negative, but that's why they've been so successful. A rapper like Nas, for example, isn't as keen as adapting with the rap game and people got kinda tired of him after some time, not to take anything away from his earlier records where he was truly one of the best ever.

perfectly said! Thats why I was confused wheather to put them with the older rap group or this new one because they blend in perfectly with both.. you worded it perfect lol..
Old 12-17-2010, 06:06 AM   #9
NoName22
Larry Holmes status ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Magic
........I think T.I. could rank as a #10 or #11 all time rapper imo..

.....Kanye West.....,Wayne.....they could climb that top 10 rapper list if they haven't already..

NoName22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:10 AM   #10
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premeditated
this is by far going to be the golden era for hip hop. all types of talents are coming out. Kanye West alone is more cultivating than anyone in the past not name Jay z, Ice cube, Tribe Called Quest and Rakim.

Please give me a little background on yourself.

Because this statement right here screams "young out-of-touch white guy from the suburbs with no knowledge of Hip-Hop culture."

For real man, if you love Hip-Hop you have to understand how stupid and disrespectful your post is.

Last edited by Go Getter : 12-17-2010 at 06:12 AM.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:10 AM   #11
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Quote:
Kanye has had the longevity and revolutionized hip-hop, definitely deserves a spot in the top 10 and he'll rise after he's out of the game for a while.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:20 AM   #12
RekeHavoc
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Getter

If you don't think Kanye has helped to bring hip-hop music and culture places that it never has seen, I'm sorry for you...
Old 12-17-2010, 08:31 AM   #13
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Quote:
If you don't think Kanye has helped to bring hip-hop music and culture places that it never has seen, I'm sorry for you...

Explain to me how he revolutionized rap music....because in no way has he revolutionized Hip-Hop culture.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #14
VishaltotheG
Good college starter

T.I. and Kanye should be at the top, Jay-Z is next although he's way out of his prime. And if you count Mike Shinoda, he's up there too. Drake is the best of the worst. Eminem is pretty bad since he's been collaborating with people like Rihanna and Jessica Simpson. He's near Drake level but if he goes back to being good again, I'll put him in the top 10.
VishaltotheG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #15
Premeditated
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Getter
Please give me a little background on yourself.

Because this statement right here screams "young out-of-touch white guy from the suburbs with no knowledge of Hip-Hop culture."

For real man, if you love Hip-Hop you have to understand how stupid and disrespectful your post is.
oh i get it, you're playing the nostalgic role.What's a hip hop discussion without one of them.

btw, Kanye=God....deal with it.
Premeditated is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: