Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-15-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Who hates giant tests that your future depends on?

Sweet Jesus. I think I'm studying for the biggest, most important test in my life right now. My anxiety builds up every time I think about it and I keep putting it off (Exhibit A: This thread). I'm studying for my Clinical Competency Exam to get my doctorate in clinical psychology. Pretty much I'll have 5 hours to write about a client vignette. The sample tests are 12 pages long and if you forget even small details (that are not even prompted on the test) you fail. There are 6 sections to the test. I'm still studying for section 1 which has taken 5 hours and I am still not even close to having that part down (probably the easiest portion of the test too given its contents). I have a week to prepare, but not much time to actually prepare on the weekdays. No test I've ever taken has needed to be so precise and have so much importance on my future.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Who hates giant tests that your future depends on?

They had a study on ABC News the other night about test-taking. They said that people who wrote down their fear of failures down before they took a test did 54% better than people who didn't write down the fear or failures or what might happen.

Basically you need to clear your mind of what's going to happen if you don't do well, so you have a better chance of doing well.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
SourGrapes
let's go lake show!

SourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
They had a study on ABC News the other night about test-taking. They said that people who wrote down their fear of failures down before they took a test did 54% better than people who didn't write down the fear or failures or what might happen.

Basically you need to clear your mind of what's going to happen if you don't do well, so you have a better chance of doing well.

i wonder if that study took into account that people who are thoughtful enough to do that are also probably thoughtful such that they'll study a lot more.

to myth: good luck. i bet that anxiety is indicative of someone who will do really well!
SourGrapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Stuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputation

yeah i feel you

good luck
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
heyhey
stay mad golden state

heyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

lol op since you are training to be a clinical psychologist. can't you do something about your own anxiety issues?

but it's crazy how a test can ruin years of hard work. good luck man. I'm sure you will prevail.
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #6
YouCallILose
Banned

YouCallILose has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsYouCallILose has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsYouCallILose has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsYouCallILose has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsYouCallILose has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsYouCallILose has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these parts

i have a hard time believing it's that difficult. my sister failed out of texas and ended up becoming a clinical neuropsychologist

Last edited by YouCallILose : 01-15-2011 at 07:56 PM.
YouCallILose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
Myth

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey
lol op since you are training to be a clinical psychologist. can't you do something about your own anxiety issues?

You haven't met a lot of psychologists have you? Many of them are pretty f*cked up. What do you think gets them interested in studying human behavior in the first place?

Seriously though, I think it is a healthy level of anxiety. Having no anxiety would be more indicative of a problem.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #8
Quizno
Biyombo Smash!!

Quizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation here

damn, honestly i got nervous just reading that lol. good luck man, study hard and it'll pay off. it always does.
Quizno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #9
GhostDeini32
serenity now

GhostDeini32 has decent reputation

Good luck Myth, hopefully this thread will give you some piece of mind and allow you to tackle the big test. I like your avatar, shit is funny.
GhostDeini32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:53 PM   #10
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here

I wish all of school was just big tests, because I always ace them. It's the in between stuff - lectures, papers, etc. - that bore the hell out of me.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:57 PM   #11
CaptainObvious.
Can barely lace up my sneakers

CaptainObvious. has an OK reputation so far

If you fail this test, you are screwed.
CaptainObvious. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #12
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious.
If you fail this test, you are screwed.

Thank you Captain Obvious, that is very settling. Actually, I can retake the test in about 3 months if I don't pass. Though, if I fail it twice, then I will be taking an extra year of school. If I fail 3 times, expelled.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #13
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

StroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I've never really taken a test that mattered, but yeah, that sounds like it blows.
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #14
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The biggest relief of my life so far was when I graduated school. Nothing raped my mind more than the pressure of school/tests. The "oh shit I have an exam!" dreams were the worst.

Now instead of tests, it's job interviews but it's definitely not as bad.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #15
wheyhigh
Banned

wheyhigh is a pretty well-respected posterwheyhigh is a pretty well-respected posterwheyhigh is a pretty well-respected poster

i have confidence in you.
wheyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: