Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
MightyWhitey
Local High School Star
 
MightyWhitey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: nYc
Posts: 1,156
Default Knicks' D'Antoni won't expand rotation

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/knicks...QYAFav VeiFhK

Knicks' D'Antoni won't expand rotation

4:16 PM, January 19, 2011 ι By MARC BERMAN

HOUSTON -- Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni said despite the team looking tired from the dog days of January, getting punished on the boards and losing three straight games, he is not ready to expand the rotation.

He is not ready to try a dose of on-the-block Anthony Randolph and surely not eager to give center Eddy Curry a shot any time soon.

Randolph's agent, Bill Duffy, has expressed to Knicks president Donnie Walsh that his client prefers a trade if he is not going to play this season. Walsh may deal Randolph for a first-round pick, possibly to Minnesota, one he can potentially use in a future deal for Carmelo Anthony.

Duffy, in a text message Friday, said Walsh was keeping "an open mind.''

D'Antoni said Williams is playing too well in the backup power forward slot to even think of trying Randolph, the 6-11 athletic firebrand whose been banished from the rotation since mid-November. His removal coincided with the Knicks' 13-1 stretch following a 3-8 start.

"Right now, to be honest with you, I like what Shawne Williams is doing,'' D'Antoni said at the Wednesday morning shootaround before the Knicks faced the Rockets.

"If Shawne hadn't been doing that and we needed one more guy, (Randolph) would be the guy. Right now in the pecking order he is where he is. I don't want to go back to when we were 3-8 and playing guys five minutes here. I think Shawne has played really well, not just well. It's a big part of why we're OK.''

Williams made his season debut in Detroit Nov. 28 early during their turnaround. The 6-8 player provides defensive toughness, a deft 3-point shooting touch -- among the league leaders -- and a mistake-free game. Randolph doesn't shoot it nearly as well and was turnover-prone during preseason, angering D'Antoni with his low motor.

D'Antoni wants to keep the rotation to eight, nine guys. Bill Walker is on the bubble and his good play when Danilo Gallinari was injured moved him up into a bit role.

D'Antoni was asked if at the season's midpoint it's tough to drastically thrust in a guy like Randolph, Curry or rehabbing Kelenna Azubuike to a speedball offense after not playing all season.

"To me it is. It's almost impossible. You have to have 20 games to get back and get going," D'Antoni said. "If I felt one of those moves would make us better 20 games from now, I'd definitely do it. I don't know that. I can't waste 20 games. I have a certain philosophy and will stick with it. That's all I can do is be true to what I think."



Pringles wants to injure Amare and not expand the rotation to give Randolph at least 10 - 12 minutes? This man has to go.
MightyWhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,343
Default Re: Knicks' D'Antoni won't expand rotation

He's being kind of pigheaded, but not so much with Randolph...because Randolph sucks.

D'Antoni should definitely try to work with Mozgov more though. Especially considering how often Turiaf is hurt.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator
 
knickscity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Home of BullyBall!!!!
Posts: 9,327
Default Re: Knicks' D'Antoni won't expand rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter
He's being kind of pigheaded, but not so much with Randolph...because Randolph sucks.

D'Antoni should definitely try to work with Mozgov more though. Especially considering how often Turiaf is hurt.
Agreed.

Randolph just isn't ready. Sad, but true.

D'antoni is stubborn as hell.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
JrueHoliday11
jrue it up
 
JrueHoliday11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: modells
Posts: 604
Default Re: Knicks' D'Antoni won't expand rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
Agreed.

Randolph just isn't ready. Sad, but true.

D'antoni is stubborn as hell.

true, but we shouldnt trade him
JrueHoliday11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #5
earlofupstate
Good High School Starter
 
earlofupstate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Another state
Posts: 770
Default Re: Knicks' D'Antoni won't expand rotation

Some people just can't admit when their wrong. MD is one of those people.
Too stubborn for his own good. And ours.
earlofupstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:56 PM   #6
franchize
"The Residential Pit"
 
franchize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,711
Default Re: Knicks' D'Antoni won't expand rotation

Say what you will about Randolph sucking.Im no fan of his and I agree he looked out of place but cmon...he is no where near that bad to where he can't get any playing time what so ever.Its not like he's never produced.He was obviously good enough for you to pass up on Monta and trade David Lee for him instead.Him not producing for us at all is as much an indictment on D'Antoni's very limited coaching expertise as it is Randolph's skill set.@ the end of the day,he's 6'10" with a pretty good handle,he rebounds decently, he can defend multiple positions and can create his own shot.Im not saying start him but if you can't get one positive minute outta a guy like that then it's as much your fault as it is his.Furthermore,if he's THAT bad,why hesistate to trade him Walsh?Unless you plan on getting rid of Mike D'antoni,your pretty much assured your coach is NOT going to utilize him.Why let him rot on the bench and ruin his trade value,which is currently surprisingly high considering he's been totally ignored by our coach.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:51 AM   #7
New York Knicks
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,528
Default Re: Knicks' D'Antoni won't expand rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
Say what you will about Randolph sucking.Im no fan of his and I agree he looked out of place but cmon...he is no where near that bad to where he can't get any playing time what so ever.Its not like he's never produced.He was obviously good enough for you to pass up on Monta and trade David Lee for him instead.Him not producing for us at all is as much an indictment on D'Antoni's very limited coaching expertise as it is Randolph's skill set.@ the end of the day,he's 6'10" with a pretty good handle,he rebounds decently, he can defend multiple positions and can create his own shot.Im not saying start him but if you can't get one positive minute outta a guy like that then it's as much your fault as it is his.Furthermore,if he's THAT bad,why hesistate to trade him Walsh?Unless you plan on getting rid of Mike D'antoni,your pretty much assured your coach is NOT going to utilize him.Why let him rot on the bench and ruin his trade value,which is currently surprisingly high considering he's been totally ignored by our coach.

That's quite a stretch. He's tall, long, can run and jump. That's the extent of his basketball skills.
New York Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:51 AM   #8
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,343
Default Re: Knicks' D'Antoni won't expand rotation

He's actually not a bad dribbler for his size. He at least looks more fluid than, say, Wilson Chandler when moving at speed with the ball. The problem is he over-dribbles and ends up in trouble with the defense, and he'll get it stripped or make a stupid pass or it will go off his foot or something. I didn't watch him play much at all with the Warriors last year, so I can't really attest to his jumper, but I don't think I've seen him make more than one this season. It's not a very tight looking motion though, and he doesn't seem to follow through well, so I doubt it's particularly consistent.

I'll admit that when he got minutes earlier in the season, he looked like a really gifted and talented big athletic guy, sans a brain.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:49 AM   #9
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Sarcastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: #KnicksTank
Posts: 22,685
Default Re: Knicks' D'Antoni won't expand rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Knicks

That's quite a stretch. He's tall, long, can run and jump. That's the extent of his basketball skills.

You can find a place for that on a basketball court. I don't think he should be getting meaningful minutes, nor should he have plays run for him, but he should be able to do other things like hustle plays and just help defend. If anything just tell him to crash the boards when he is in there. He needs to get some minutes, if for only to prevent our regulars from getting cardiac arrest from playing so much.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:19 AM   #10
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator
 
knickscity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Home of BullyBall!!!!
Posts: 9,327
Default Re: Knicks' D'Antoni won't expand rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
You can find a place for that on a basketball court. I don't think he should be getting meaningful minutes, nor should he have plays run for him, but he should be able to do other things like hustle plays and just help defend. If anything just tell him to crash the boards when he is in there. He needs to get some minutes, if for only to prevent our regulars from getting cardiac arrest from playing so much.
This is exactly why he should be playing.

I find it hard to believe that he can't earn 10 minutes.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #11
franchize
"The Residential Pit"
 
franchize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,711
Default Re: Knicks' D'Antoni won't expand rotation

I don't get how it was a stretch.It wasn't like I said he was LeBron or Odom or something.He can put the ball on the floor better than most 6'11" guys.He is surprisingly a decent shot blocker given his skinny frame.Bottom line is the guy is 22 and avg 11 ppg,1.6 bpg and 6 1/2 rebounds in GS.You trade David Lee (your best player at the time) and he was considered the best player we got back.All you get outta him is 2ppg?I don't think thats on the player.Thats on the coach.So if I'm stretching so be it but he showed some skills for someone else obviously.

Anywho,rumor has it that it's the Pacers and not the Twolves that are going to get him.I wish they'd throw AJ Price in the deal too.Kill two birds with one stone.I'd even take Lance @ this point.I just can't stomach seeing a banged up Toney Douglas out there tryna be something everyone knows he's not.

Last edited by franchize : 01-20-2011 at 11:02 AM.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:55 PM   #12
New York Knicks
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,528
Default Re: Knicks' D'Antoni won't expand rotation

The problem is when he's out there, he tends to play 1-on-5 when he's not even good enough to play 1-on-1. Then on defense, he'll just ignore his man and run around chasing the ball. If someone can put a leash on that kid and tell him to just sit in the paint and block shots and grab rebounds, I'm all for it.
New York Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:09 PM   #13
knickballer
Very good NBA starter
 
knickballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 2010 offseason
Posts: 8,746
Default Re: Knicks' D'Antoni won't expand rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Knicks
The problem is when he's out there, he tends to play 1-on-5 when he's not even good enough to play 1-on-1. Then on defense, he'll just ignore his man and run around chasing the ball. If someone can put a leash on that kid and tell him to just sit in the paint and block shots and grab rebounds, I'm all for it.


Dude alot of players on our roster play 1 on 5. We don't have much "team" oriented players. Gallo, Turriaf, Fields and Douglas are our team players besides them most of the team just looks for themselves. I'm getting tired of Amare forcing every god damn shot although he's making them. I'm also tired at Felton just passing the ball to Amare and not passing the ball to anyone else. That's why his assist/turnover ratio is so high, I never see him passing the ball to Gallo, never..


I find it impossible that Randolph can't log some minutes considering we get bullied on the boards and inside. To be fair he hasn't really got much burn to prove him self and he's a better player than Shawne williams who's just there to hit the occasional 3.. I mean Shawne Williams and Bill Walker can find the floor why can't Randolph?

I can't stand lineups where he puts absolutely no bigs out there and our "center" is shawne Williams at times. He can't put in Randolph for those 5 or so minutes?
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #14
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Sarcastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: #KnicksTank
Posts: 22,685
Default Re: Knicks' D'Antoni won't expand rotation

If AR were 5'8" I could understand him not getting any minutes at all. But to have a near 7 footer (2 of them actually) just rot on the bench is inexcusable, especially considering that we get destroyed on the boards every game.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:49 PM   #15
New York Knicks
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,528
Default Re: Knicks' D'Antoni won't expand rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
I find it impossible that Randolph can't log some minutes considering we get bullied on the boards and inside. To be fair he hasn't really got much burn to prove him self and he's a better player than Shawne williams who's just there to hit the occasional 3.. I mean Shawne Williams and Bill Walker can find the floor why can't Randolph?
I'm sure Shawne Williams proved it in practice. Why should games be the audition? That's the grand prize. You should prove something in practice first. If he was playing well in practice, I can't see any reason why D'Antoni would bench him. Of course, we don't know what goes on there, so we can't really judge.
New York Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:28 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy