Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-19-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
Snoop_Cat
Banned

Snoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default John Calipari Caught Cursing at Star Freshman, Terrence Jones

Apparently, Calipari was caught on national TV for calling Terrence Jones a "selfish mother f*cker".

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...n=ncaab-309526

Personally, I'm not endorsing cursing at one's players by any means, but Jones has a reputation for forcing shots and being a black hole on offense. I think it's being blown way out of proportion. At 19/20 years old, these guys aren't babies and let's get real coaches curse at their players all the time - practice, games, etc. Calipari was simply unlucky to be filmed.
Snoop_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: John Calipari Caught Cursing at Star Freshman, Terrence Jones

Who cares? My HS coach swore at us when we were freshman (tho not in games because parents would have gotten mad lol). Its not like he hit him.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
Snoop_Cat
Banned

Snoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Who cares? My HS coach swore at us when we were freshman (tho not in games because parents would have gotten mad lol). Its not like he hit him.

my thoughts exactly, no need really to publicize it like this
Snoop_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #4
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

There's nothing worse than listening to these sports reporters and announcers reporting on this and having the nerve to act outrage. You guys are in the sports industry, a coach swearing at his player is an absolute 100% non-story. And they know it. Almost nothing bothers me as much as false outrage.

There is an angle here though that could be made into something of a niche story in the hoops, and particularly recruiting circles. Calipari was just on the ESPN town hall Monday night in regards to MLK day, and the image of the black athlete. He was the only non-black on the panel, and while I don't think every white person in the world would've seemed out of place, Cal's sleazy persona, with his fancy tailored suits paid for by what is essentially the exploitation of young black (primarily) athletes, seemed particularly out of place. But he did provide a perspective, in that he is the premier college basketball recruiter out there, and he spends more time with the young black athlete than just about anyone. And on top of that, he sees it from both sides. The side where you have to push as a coach, and the side where you have to stroke as a recruiter. He understands the ego, the family pressure, the insane delusions in many cases of both the players and the families, the same from the social circles.
Anyway, one thing he did say was that one of his big recruiting pitches is that he assures these kids when he's recruiting them that he understands that there dream is to make it to the pros, and he'll help them get there with work, but also, he'll never do anything to hurt them in regards to getting there. And he explained that what he meant by that is that he doesn't dress down his players publicly. He may do it privately, but he doesn't do it in a forum that would affect their reputation in the eyes of pro scouts. After he said it, I thought about it, and it is true. He's generally considered a players coach, not only because of his system, but also because I couldn't recall him ever doing anything but heaping praise upon his players. This incident seemed to directly contradict that.

I met Cal many years ago when I was in HS. My coach was a friend of a few of Cal's assistants. Bruiser Flint, who later went on to be a head coach. And even closer to a guy named Ed Schilling, who last I checked was working as a trainer for one of the draft academies, and is an absolute hoops genius. They had talked about giving me an inside track for a walkon spot should I go there. Even then, I really didn't like the guy.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Who gives a shit.. Everyone knows Calipari is a d-bag and the player is receiving a free ride.

My coach called a teammate a ***** and a ***** cause the kid moaned that we had to do updowns after the kicker missed a kick in practice. I'm sure if anyone told anybody he would have been fired...
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Pussification of America
Anti Hero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
Pussification of America

Yep, We can sue for just about anything..
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:22 PM   #8
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

If I was a young college kid with pro aspirations, playing under a coach who has sent numerous guys pro, I'd do whatever the f*ck he said. He may be an asshole and he may be a sneak, but he knows what he's doing
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:24 PM   #9
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7

this.

I had coaches cursing at me in damn Little League.

Its no big deal and if he cant handle it he is a pansy.
kentatm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:12 PM   #10
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
If I was a young college kid with pro aspirations, playing under a coach who has sent numerous guys pro, I'd do whatever the f*ck he said. He may be an asshole and he may be a sneak, but he knows what he's doing

I think the problem is that he does seem to know what he's doing, but by his own admission, this isn't it. Had he spent all last year calling out DeMarcus Cousins in the press every day, he may have been able to plummett his stock enough to get him back to the school another year (had he been able to stay academically interested), and this is a small thing, but it's a little thing now that this kid's gonna have to deal with when he goes in front of scouts, is he a ball stopper?, can he be coached? These are the things Calapari swears he keeps off the table when he recruits you, and for the first time in a long time, he apparently wasn't able to hold it in check. I wonder if anyone will be able to hold it against him enough on the recruiting trail to win some small battle with him. A few cracks in the dam could go a long way. Recruiting is a little like a snowball.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:18 PM   #11
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Go Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation here

I have to say though, if I heard Cal call my son a mother****er I wouldn't be happy. It's Cal's fault for letting this get out. Cuss at em behind doors not where the public can hear. That's the issue. None of the players deserve to be cursed out on TV.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:54 AM   #12
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It's not a big deal. If Jones wants to be a star in the NBA he needs to listen to his coach.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:27 AM   #13
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Of course he's selfish. He's just there to try and impress NBA scouts, and he doesn't give a fukc about Kentucky... and it's not his fault. Kentucky knew when they recruited him he was one and done. No crying about it now.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:33 AM   #14
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Go Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
Of course he's selfish. He's just there to try and impress NBA scouts, and he doesn't give a fukc about Kentucky... and it's not his fault. Kentucky knew when they recruited him he was one and done. No crying about it now.

Exactly...not like Cal is recruiting guys off of character and willingness to commit to his program.

Also, I'm sick of people acting like these guys like Cal MAKE NBA players...Tyreke Evans and Derrick Rose would be NBA players without him.

Look at Brandon Jennings.

The coaches need THEM (in a basketball sense b/c those guys desperately need education, lol) not the other way around.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: