Rockets notes (Dec. 5) going into Warriors game
- Houston owns a 98-73 advantage in the all-time series over Golden State. The Rockets are 51-33 at home against the Warriors and 44-37 on the road. Houston is 3-3 all-time in neutral-site games with Golden State. The Rockets took the four-game series (3-1) in 2005-06. In the first game last season, the Rockets rallied back from an 11-point deficit in the fourth quarter at Golden State (12/14/05), pulling away in overtime, 111-105. Houston fell to the Warriors by a 94-89 score in the second game vs. Golden State (12/31/05). Yao Ming recorded the third "20-20" game of his career with 22 points and 21 rebounds in leading the Rockets to a 91-88 win in the third meeting vs. Golden State (2/24/06). In the final meeting of 2005-06, Yao scored 30 points and Luther Head added 26, including a career-high six 3-pointers, to help the Rockets come from behind for a 100-93 win at Golden State (4/7/06).
- Series Notes: Yao Ming has averaged 22.3 points (134 TP) and 15.7 rebounds (94 TR) over his last six games against the Warriors (12/17/04-4/7/06) ... Golden State was the only team Yao recorded multiple 30-point games against last season (30 on 12/14/05 at Golden State and 30 on 4/7/06 at Golden State) ... Tracy McGrady has averaged 29.2 points over his last five games against Golden State, including a 44-point outing at Golden State (4/5/05) ... the Rockets outrebounded the Warriors by a 61-32 margin at Golden State (12/14/05) ... Yao set a career high in defensive boards (17) vs. Golden State (2/24/06) ... Jason Richardson scored 39 points against Houston vs. Golden State (2/24/06), including 7-of-11 from beyond the arc to match Golden State's all-time mark for 3-pointers made in a game ... Baron Davis, who was out injured for the final two meetings of 2005-06, has averaged 24.5 points and 10.0 assists over his last four starts with Golden State against Houston, including a career-best 40 points at Golden State (4/5/05).
- Connections: Rockets guard Bob Sura played three seasons for Golden State (2000-03), where he averaged 9.5 points and 3.7 assists ... Greg Bittner, one of Houston's NBA advance scouts, was previously in charge of advance scouting for the Warriors (1997-99).
- With an 81-63 victory vs. Cleveland (12/2/06), the Rockets extended their current home winning streak to five games. It marks Houston's longest stretch of consecutive home wins since a five-game streak in 2003-04 (2/11/04-2/27/04). The Rockets also had a seven-game home winning streak earlier that season (11/8/03-12/9/03).
- After allowing just 63 points vs. Cleveland (12/2/06), Houston has limited its opponents to 79.6 points per game (398 total points) over the last five outings. The Rockets are also 7-0 this year when holding their opponent under 90 points in a game.
- The Rockets held the Cavaliers to 63 points on an opponent season-low 22 field goals (.282, 22-78 FG) against Houston vs. Cleveland (12/2/06). The 63 points matched Houston's all-time, single-game low for an opponent set when the Jazz managed just 63 points against the Rockets vs. Utah (1/3/04). Cleveland's field goals made (22) and field goal percentage (.282) rank as the second and third lowest all-time, respectively, in each category by a Houston opponent in a single game.
- With an 81-63 win vs. Cleveland (12/2/06), Houston has now held its opponent under 70 points in a game 10 times since Jeff Van Gundy took over as head coach. Prior to Van Gundy's arrival in 2003, the Rockets had limited opponents to less than 70 points only twice in franchise history.
- Milestone Watch: Tracy McGrady (3,996) enters this evening's game needing just four rebounds to reach 4,000 in his career.