Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Bigsmoke
Death Before Dishonor

Bigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputation
Default Nene is eying three teams; "Dallas and Miami are included"

Quote:
This was a Shootaround item, but I felt the need to extrapolate a bit more on it. Ken Berger reported that Nuggets center Nene is unhappy with the dragging Carmelo Anthony situation and could be looking to move on from Denver.

Nene, like Carmelo, has an early termination option and could make himself an unrestricted free agent this summer. The Nuggets might be looking at a similar situation with Nene in that they need to move him and get something back, rather just watch him walk for nothing.

Quote:
Berger said Nene has three teams that he's eying and listed one as being the Heat. It's probably unlikely the Heat have the pieces to put together a realistic trade for Nene that Denver would go for, but still, Nene on the Heat is a scary though.

Marc Stein of ESPN tweeted that a second team on Nene's list is the Dallas Mavericks. He also said the third remains a mystery right now, but assured that the Rockets would be players in trying to acquire Nene

But who could the third team be? The Mavs have some good pieces to make such a move, but why would they? Tyson Chandler is having a great year and behind them they have Brendan Haywood, who's making a lot of money to play backup. Even if the Mavs were just renting Nene for a few months, that's a pretty good logjam inside.

One team that could be a player for Nene is the Oklahoma City Thunder. They have assets in future first-round picks, a nice expiring contract in Morris Peterson and could potentially offer back a quality young player like Cole Aldrich or D.J. White. The question would be if the Thunder would be interested in re-signing Nene to an extension though, seeing as they still have to solve the Jeff Green contract situation and also extend Russell Westbrook this summer.

More than likely, Oklahoma City doesn't make that move because of the way Sam Presti approaches the future. He prefers to draft and develop, rather than trade away young players. If Nene could be had just for an expiring and a pick, it's a possible move for OKC. But Denver's going to want more than that.

Another potential third team on the list? the Trail Blazers. Portland has Joel Przybilla's expiring contract, a decent young assets like Luke Babbitt, Eliot Williams and Patty Mills, plus future picks. Or toss in Andre Miller who the team wants to move. (Though Miller and Chauncey Billups together doesn't make a ton of sense. Maybe they could flip Miller again for something else.) Again, the Nuggets would probably ask for Nicolas Batum, who they've had a fascination with lately, but Portland's not budging on him.

The Blazers could certainly use Nene though, you know, because of the injuries and all. Nene would have the opportunity to remain a starter and really would become an offensive focus for Portland. He'd probably have to live in fear that his knees might spontaneously combust, but the Blazers would be a nice fit.

Lastly, two other teams I'll throw in that could be fits: Phoenix and Golden State. Nene would work well in both systems and both teams would love to have a player of his caliber. The question is whether or not either could put together a satisfactory trade for Denver.

In the end, Denver is going to have to look long and hard about its future with Nene. He might be willing to re-sign, but apparently he's soured on the team a bit now and might be looking for something else. Denver's got to figure out his future, along with Carmelo, and make a decision.

It's been a fun first few months for Masai Ujiri, hasn't it?

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...48484/27226669
Bigsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Vancouver-Grizz
Where is MOTEN???

Vancouver-Grizz has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: Nene is eying three teams; "Dallas and Miami are included"

I don't see either team getting him.

If the new collective bargaining agreement is leaning towards a hard cap as the owner is demanding, there will be no-more midlevel exceptions and basically screwing up teams over the cap from signing more players. Teams over the current cap will be handicapped from making any more deals that implicates their payroll any higher.

I guess having a hard cap might improve the quality of the smaller market teams. Players need to get paid and not everyone will want to play for a championship team if there are no cheddar to eat. ;)
Vancouver-Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
novocaine
Decent playground baller

novocaine is considered somewhat coolnovocaine is considered somewhat cool

would be a good fit in OKC...
novocaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
wheyhigh
Banned

wheyhigh is a pretty well-respected posterwheyhigh is a pretty well-respected posterwheyhigh is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by novocaine
would be a good fit in OKC...
they could def. use a big
wheyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
kurple
NBA All-star

kurple has an incredible reputation herekurple has an incredible reputation herekurple has an incredible reputation herekurple has an incredible reputation herekurple has an incredible reputation herekurple has an incredible reputation here

Posted January 24, 2011, 2:17 am MT
There’s No Place Like Denver for Nuggets center Nene
By Chris Dempsey
View Comments
Print Print
E-mail E-mail

Oddly enough, Carmelo Anthony isn’t the only Nugget this season that has an opt-out clause in his contract for next season. There are two.

Nene is the other.

But unlike Anthony, Nene – a native of Brazil – has grown to love the city of Denver, state of Colorado and desperately desires to stay. He wants to extend his contract with the Nuggets and says those talks have begun to some degree. He does plan to not opt out of the final year of his deal, which will pay him $11.6 million next season.

It is the last of a six-year, $60 million contract he signed in 2006.

Nene was very clear on Sunday when he said “For me, I want to retire here.”

Asked specifically if he wants to extend his contract with the Nuggets, Nene said “Definitely. I love the city. But I can’t control it. So that’s why I said my agent is going to do what’s best for me. I want to stay here. I have friends, I have family. All the fans have been supportive, they’ve been good to me. That’s what I can say.”

Pressed on the subject, asked if he was sure he wants to remain a Nugget, Nene said “Who’s not sure? I’m doing my job. I’m very sure.”

Nene has enjoyed statistically his best season in the NBA. He’s averaging a career-high 15 points per game, and his 7.4 rebounds per game is close to a career-high. He leads the NBA in field goal percentage and is making his first real run at an All-Star spot for the first time.

While the focus is on Anthony, who is expected to be traded, Nene waits in the wings. He is a patient man.

“I don’t even think about that,” Nene said. “The only people who think about that is my agent and management of the Nuggets. Definitely they’ve been talking. For sure I know my agent is going to do the best he can do for me. I leave it first in God’s hands and second in his hands.”

Chris Dempsey: Twitter: @dempseypost or cdempsey@denverpost.com
kurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
Alonzo Magic
Mourning Glory

Alonzo Magic has a near all-star reputation hereAlonzo Magic has a near all-star reputation hereAlonzo Magic has a near all-star reputation hereAlonzo Magic has a near all-star reputation hereAlonzo Magic has a near all-star reputation hereAlonzo Magic has a near all-star reputation here

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=4f2a827

Al Horford can finally play the 4 spot and they give up JJ's ugly contract.

Knicks get melo only giving up one rotation player.

Nuggets stay competitive:

Lawson/Billups
JJ
Chandler
Kenyon
birdman

+ Eddy is an expirer.
Alonzo Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
creepingdeath
How does my Dirk taste

creepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Miami would be f*cking sick... barring injuries, finals lock. But they don't have the assets. Nene would be a nice fit for OKC, too.
creepingdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
kurple
NBA All-star

kurple has an incredible reputation herekurple has an incredible reputation herekurple has an incredible reputation herekurple has an incredible reputation herekurple has an incredible reputation herekurple has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonzo Magic

Lawson/Billups
JJ
Chandler
Kenyon
birdman

+ Eddy is an expirer.

But why on gods earth would the Nuggets do this? WHY would we want Joe Johnson? Why would we wan Chandler, when he's guaranteed to leave this summer..

And Nene won't be traded. His wife is from Denver, he loves it there.
kurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
Alonzo Magic
Mourning Glory

Alonzo Magic has a near all-star reputation hereAlonzo Magic has a near all-star reputation hereAlonzo Magic has a near all-star reputation hereAlonzo Magic has a near all-star reputation hereAlonzo Magic has a near all-star reputation hereAlonzo Magic has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurple
But why on gods earth would the Nuggets do this? WHY would we want Joe Johnson? Why would we wan Chandler, when he's guaranteed to leave this summer..

And Nene won't be traded. His wife is from Denver, he loves it there.

Yeah, it sucks for the Nuggets. Oh well, just watch the Hawks and Knicks.
Alonzo Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:55 PM   #10
HB40TheNextStar
More like Matt Boner

HB40TheNextStar is a pretty well-respected posterHB40TheNextStar is a pretty well-respected posterHB40TheNextStar is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonzo Magic

Lawson/Billups
JJ
Chandler
Kenyon
birdman

+ Eddy is an expirer.

Problem for Denver is that team won't contend with that lineup. It is going to be a ***** to rebuild with Joe Johnson's horrific contract holding you back.
HB40TheNextStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #11
ashbelly
NBA sixth man of the year

ashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Good, i wish he comes to miami. If he goes to the Mavs, that means we might get chandler.. But i really want nene, his athelticism complements our playing style.
ashbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #12
creepingdeath
How does my Dirk taste

creepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbelly
Good, i wish he comes to miami. If he goes to the Mavs, that means we might get chandler.. But i really want nene, his athelticism complements our playing style.
If Nene comes to the Mavs, he will be the backup for Dirk AND Chandler. It would also mean us either getting rid of Mahinmi or Haywood. I'd prefer giving the first more minutes.
creepingdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #13
wheyhigh
Banned

wheyhigh is a pretty well-respected posterwheyhigh is a pretty well-respected posterwheyhigh is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepingdeath
If Nene comes to the Mavs, he will be the backup for Dirk AND Chandler. It would also mean us either getting rid of Mahinmi or Haywood. I'd prefer giving the first more minutes.
haywood is still serviceable
wheyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #14
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver-Grizz
I don't see either team getting him.

If the new collective bargaining agreement is leaning towards a hard cap as the owner is demanding, there will be no-more midlevel exceptions and basically screwing up teams over the cap from signing more players. Teams over the current cap will be handicapped from making any more deals that implicates their payroll any higher.

I guess having a hard cap might improve the quality of the smaller market teams. Players need to get paid and not everyone will want to play for a championship team if there are no cheddar to eat. ;)

You are assuming there will be a hard cap and no more MLE, but also that everything else stays somewhat the same? Sorry if I'm skeptical. Are you really thinking that they will leave it at that? Make it as honest as possible, without giving big market teams the tools to create consistently good squads? If they are going to radicalize things they are going to radicalize more than that.

Obviously new rules like a hard cap, no MLE would be very disadvantageous for teams like the Lakers, the Knicks, Boston, Dallas, Orlando, Utah, Miami. It also seems to me that those teams are the teams bringing in a circumstantial amount of the league income, those teams might have a lot to say when it comes to decisions like this.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #15
asdf1990
College star

asdf1990 has no real reputation yet.

mike miller+house+anthony+fillers for nene

mario
wade
lebron
bosh
nene