Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 01-25-2011, 12:12 AM   #1
MightyWhitey
Local High School Star

Default Knicks beat Washington but in sloppy fashion

I will be positive and reflect on the obivous. They snapped a 6 game losing streak and needed this win. Was it there prettiest game? No. It actually looked pretty ugly all night long. But a win is a win and with the 76'ers catching up to the Knicks I am happy about winning.

Now a few things irked me about this game besides the poor officiating. In no particular order this is what I see are problems the Knicks can correct and overcome.

1) Felton has to give more bounce in his passes to Amare. He has to take Amare's 6'10" height into consideration when passing. Sometimes I wonder if he thinks he's passing to Mugsy Bogues in the paint with them weak ass pounces. Amare needs BOUNCES.

2) Whenever Bill Walker and Shawn Williams play together I feel like they are out there to out-do each other from behind the arc. They shoot more 3's in a quarter than most teams do in a game. That's great if every 3 pointer was good. But that isn't the case. So why doesn't Pringles tell these numb nuts idiots that they need to create plays, create better shot selections, and remember to rebound? An easily fixable situation.

3) Why isn't Fields shooting more? He is good and plays smart. So why isn't he given more ample opportunities to shoot? Especially when Felt keeps chucking up 3's that don't go in? Pringles gotta wake up from his 3-brick shooting slumber and realize that Fields is a smart player on the court who is willing to sacrafice his body every night. A very fixable scenario.

4) Free throw %'s going down the tubes. One thing Pat Riley used to preach to the 90's Knicks was that a free throw could win a game more than we take into consideration. I'm not asking for every Knick to shoot 100% crisp ft's. But I would expect Amare and Gallo and the rest of the team to better focus the importance of ft's. This can be fixed through practice, practice, practice.

5) Mozgov needs to enter the first half of the game for a total of 6 minutes to start and then slowly increase his time or keep him a steady 6 minutes. Amare is not a center. And I am tired of seeing him get rejected by center's whos wingspan can wrap around his body 3 times.Whether Mozgov sucks or not is not important. Amare is a Power Forward and would produce more in his rightful position.

Ok I'm done ranting. I'm happy the NYK won. I am hopeful that they can play strong against the Heat. And I think that they will go to the playoffs 6th in the East as long as they play a little solid defense in pringles defensiveless style of play.
MightyWhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:00 AM   #2
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Default Re: Knicks beat Washington but in sloppy fashion

First I want to say that Amar'e wasn't Mr. Turnover tonite.

Fields is an "off the ball" player. having plays called for him actually would kill his game.

I fully agree that Felton needs to gave a more crisp pass, he did connect with team tonite.

Free throws is one of Gallo strengths, he is still a very good free throw shooter, I can't quite agree with this one.

Sometime people miss every now and then.

Bottom line...Knicks played a bad team, and pretty much won by default.

I don't think they played bad, just their competition was bad, and even still the game was a virtual knot for over three quarters, hell the Knicks were down at one point in the third.

The Knicks were too "three point" happy tonite considering most of them didn't hit any at a good clip.

They got some competition on the way, we will see if this "win" inspires them or not.

BTW, One a side note, nice to see Gallo hit a few shots considering he did virtually nothing else for the team.

He is much better when he is setting up tents at the three point line.

No assists, no steals, no blocks.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:01 AM   #3
insidehoops
Administrator

ESPN.com reports:

The bleeding had stopped, but nobody is ready to pronounce the patient cured. Yes, the Knicks put an end to their six-game losing streak. But they did it against a Washington team that hasn't won a single road game all season (0-21). New York avoided dropping to .500 as the one-month countdown to the trading deadline arrived, and the front office will be keeping a close watch on the Nuggets' relatively easy five-game Eastern road trip to see if a stumble impacts their decision-making process regarding a possible trade of Carmelo Anthony. One sign of how out of it the Wizards were: Reserve forward Kevin Seraphin played the first quarter with his shorts on backward before his amused teammates pointed out his fashion faux pas and he discreetly (well, as discreetly as possible with cameras recording the moment) pulled his shorts off, turned them around and put them back on for the start of the second quarter.
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:44 AM   #4
New York Knicks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
BTW, One a side note, nice to see Gallo hit a few shots considering he did virtually nothing else for the team.
Sounds like all you did was look at the box score if you actually think that. at Chandler homers. He got to the line 8 times. He was aggressive from tip-off. Chandler, meanwhile, was chucking from the get-go. We're lucky he finally broke the slump cause he started with airballs and bricks. He was 1-7 at one point. He looked determined to break his slump so he was shooting the ball every time down. Even his 2 offensive rebounds came from his own misses. BTW, he didn't score on that possession. Chandler shot very well so I'm not gonna go overboard with this just to argue with a ridiculously biased mod that wouldn't even criticize Chandler during the slump. BTW, Chandler didn't even change his game up really. His shots just started falling. He's taking the same shots he's been taking.

Last edited by New York Knicks : 01-25-2011 at 02:51 AM.
New York Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:03 AM   #5
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

I thought Chandler was in for a long night when he was clanging and whiffing early, but it was nice to see him get it going. Ama're had a nice game, and I thought Felton's passing was as good as it's been in months. He was still looking for his own shot first, but he managed to pull off a P'nR with Amar'e. I liked Gallo's aggression and he hit some big shots at the end. All in all not bad. Not really good, per say, but the win is nice.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #6
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Knicks
Sounds like all you did was look at the box score if you actually think that. at Chandler homers. He got to the line 8 times. He was aggressive from tip-off. Chandler, meanwhile, was chucking from the get-go. We're lucky he finally broke the slump cause he started with airballs and bricks. He was 1-7 at one point. He looked determined to break his slump so he was shooting the ball every time down. Even his 2 offensive rebounds came from his own misses. BTW, he didn't score on that possession. Chandler shot very well so I'm not gonna go overboard with this just to argue with a ridiculously biased mod that wouldn't even criticize Chandler during the slump. BTW, Chandler didn't even change his game up really. His shots just started falling. He's taking the same shots he's been taking.
Dude, I haven't referred to Chandler none from last night.

Yes I did watch him forced bad shot after bad shot.

Chandler especially late has been launching them with no regard.

If I just looked at the box score and not the game only, I would have said " he shot overall better than Gallo".

I believe I have criticized Chandler during the slump.

Even Clyde And Breen said Chandler had been playing well prior to this slump.

I think Clyde used his usual term of Chandler is "thinking".

But since my posts are the focus of your visits here, pull them up.

And how am I biased?

Because I say Gallo does nothing on the defensive end, and very little on the offensive end, other than "score".

I have called both players role players, but since that means I'm calling Gallo a role player, It's all bad.

Dude come on, it's old.

They are both role players period.

They just have different "roles".

BTW... when I pointed out that Gallo's strength which is free throw shooting which actually was a response to another poster, you blindly ignored that and only quote the negative I said.

But yeah I'm biased.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Oh great. Another hijacked post that's about to turn into a Chandler/Gallo battle.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
Oh great. Another hijacked post that's about to turn into a Chandler/Gallo battle.
I have never seen this before.

The guys are role players, yet defended like stars.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:07 PM   #9
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Ok seriously...It was funny before but this is becoming a bit much.How the hell did this become a Chandler vs Gallo debate too.Enough is Enough.No1 had to look at the Box Scores.I live near DC.I saw the game on Comcast Sports.Can I comment on the game now? No1 in their right mine looking at the game,looking at the box scores,hearing it from the attendant in the parking lot,listening on the radio,etc would think that Gallo had a good game or that Chandler played poorly.No1 is tryna diss your little bff lol.Relax dude.Im pretty sure Mighty Whitey and everyone else who posted simply is just stating their views on what they saw.My goodness.

As for the game,
Gallo was trying hard out there but it wasn't his night.(I was literally lmao when he just threw it up and they called a foul on that fast break).He couldn't hit a 3 or even FT to save his life for most of the game.I love that he stuck with it though because usually,once he starts missing,you can put his face on a milk carton.He disappears. He fought until the end though and hit a big three late in the game.I think last night showed me alot about him though.I think his developing versatility is actually hurting his game.He needs to be deadly from 3 before he starts tryna do all this other stuff.He's just a good 3 point shooter.I think he needs to become a GREAT 3 point shooter to truly meet his potential.Right now,when he's open,it isn't automatic.I also noticed,he isn't a bad defender because of lack of effort.He has poor fundamentals.Thats not his fault.Thats poor coaching.

Amare was relentless and aggressive.He man-handled the Wizards.Although he was out of control some plays,when he missed,he attacked again.His defense was atrocious though.I was like c'mon Stat.He was out their tryna take BS charges and stuff.You're 6'10",athletic and muscular as hell...punch everything.He played like he went to Duke or something.

Chandler missed early but he was everywhere on the court.I think that's what seperates him from other guys on our team.When he misses he follows his shot.He got key blocks and rebounds and for some reason guarded almost everyone @ least once (thank to Mike D'anphony once again).

Fields,for all his great intagibles and heart,isn't aggressive enough on the offensive end.I think he is so blue collar that he forgets to be a threat on offense.He's like that person that helps others out so much that they don't give themself time to enjoy life.I see alot of Aaron Afflalo in his game.I think he should be getting around 13-15 ppg...Especially the way he rebounds and can put it on the floor.If he was more agressive offensively,I think he'd be the better fit with Melo moreso than Chandler AND Gallo.

Walker and Williams hoist 3's.Sometimes they go in.Sometimes they don't.I don't mind though.They don't play too many minutes or kill us with their play.Nice sparks off the bench.Going forward however,I dont see any reason to keep them both.

Felton is starting to feel himself a little too much.He's become really cocky lately.You can tell he is playing with a lot of confidence but he also thinks he's better than he really is lol.Also,he's an overrated defender.Wall and Nick Young were taking turns lighting him up lol.

Douglas plays so hard.I feel bad for him but he'll just simply not a pg.He's not a bum at all but we need to replace him.

D'antoni is a joke as a coach.I just realized last night that I've never seen him call time out to get on his team for not playing D.He only gets out his seat when we're on offense.We gave up two baskets because we didnt get back on D in about 30 seconds,the cameras zoomed in and he was sitting down yawning.Also,I can't figure out for the life of me what advantage he feels he gains by putting Felton and Douglas on the floor at the same time.Furthermore,you can't tell me that you can't find minutes in a game against the Wizards where Anthony Randolph and Mozgov can't play at all.I like JaVale McGee alot but it isnt like he is polished offensively. Mozgov coulda guarded him and gave our bigs some rest.

Turiaf is full of energy but lately he's been taking some off the wall shots.I wanted to shoot him when he took that ridiculous fadeaway with 3 seconds left on the shot clock.He had Gallo to his right and Chandler to his left.He plays so hard.Bless his soul but I wanted to hit him in his fragile @$$ heart when he took that shot lol

Overall,we played like a .500 team and beat a sub .500 team.One word that describes this win...appropriate.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:43 PM   #10
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

D'Antoni gets pissed and calls timeouts because of bad defense all the time. It just doesn't seem to work...
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #11
insidehoops
Administrator

Knicks end skid, keep Wizards winless on the road -- The AP reports: Amare Stoudemire shook the basket with his dunks. Raymond Felton found his shooters on the wings, and knocked down his own shots when left open. The New York Knicks looked right again, and it sure helped that the Washington Wizards do everything wrong on the road—even something as simple as getting dressed Monday night. Stoudemire ended a mini-slump with 30 points, and the Knicks snapped a six-game losing streak and dropped the Wizards to 0-21 on the road with a 115-106 victory... Felton ended his dismal stretch with 17 points and 15 assists as the Knicks (23-21) avoided falling back to .500 with what would have been their longest skid of the season—and with Miami visiting Thursday... Nick Young scored 22 points for the Wizards, now more than halfway to the NBA’s first winless road mark in an 82-game schedule. They are closing in on the longest road skid to open a season, 29 straight losses by the Dallas Mavericks during the 1992-93 season.

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/daily.shtml#ixzz1C5VKQwSu
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #12
New York Knicks
Banned

Quote:
I have never seen this before.

The guys are role players, yet defended like stars.
Pot meet kettle? You defend Chandler like he's your brother or something.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #13
New York Knicks
Banned

After Chandler's no-show vs. OKC, you said:
Quote:
Chandler especially.

Last night this dude was purposely putting up bad shot after bad shot.

He played like someone who is sabotaging the game n purpose.
Can't be because he just stunk it up. Gotta make up excuses for him right?

As a response, to someone bringing up a bad shot by Chandler
Quote:
Ensuring he doesn't get traded.

And how does Gallo do nothing on the defensive end? He's a player with a history of back problems and he has no problem taking charges and putting his body on the line. When Nick Young was lighting up Landry Fields, Gallo put himself on Young. If there's anything he does, it's hustle. I don't know how anyone can criticize that. He may not have any blocks but charges don't show up on a statsheet. And he's something like 3rd in the NBA in charges.

And wtf kind of compliment is, "his strength is FT shooting" as if you're insinuating he's Steve Kerr or something where that's the only thing he does. Pretty sure, franchize, a known Chandler fanatic, was offended when I called Chandler our Sefolosha, a one-dimensional player, but regarded as one of the best perimeter defenders in the NBA. Your kind of compliments are backhanded compliments. And your "criticisms" of Chandler, you try to twist it to make it more positive or something Chandler's "purposely" doing. Kind of like the way Kobe fans say, "yeah, he's missing on purpose" to make it seem like he can make those shots whenever he wants. Kind of like a "criticism" that's always followed by a "but" to attempt to justify it.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #14
New York Knicks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
As for the game,
Gallo was trying hard out there but it wasn't his night.(I was literally lmao when he just threw it up and they called a foul on that fast break).
Right, every time Gallo goes to the line it's cause it was a gift from the refs right? Can't be because he earned it, right? Not that it matters, because FTs are always a positive. But somehow for Gallinari it's a negative. Would you rather him take 2.6 FTA/gm like Chandler?

Quote:
He couldn't hit a 3 or even FT to save his life for most of the game.
He was 6/6 from the FT line before missing his last 2. Not sure what you mean by that. And he hit 2/3 shots from the field to close out the game. Should he have chucked all night and ignored his teammates to get himself going like Chandler did? At least Gallo was driving and drawing contact and keeping the defense on their feet.

Quote:
Chandler missed early but he was everywhere on the court.I think that's what seperates him from other guys on our team.When he misses he follows his shot.He got key blocks and rebounds and for some reason guarded almost everyone @ least once (thank to Mike D'anphony once again).
Don't know what key rebounds you're talking about, but Chandler, for the most part was getting uncontested rebounds. And his two offensive rebounds came in one possession off his own misses from point blank range and they ended up getting no points on that possession. Fields gets REAL rebounds that he just rips away from opponents and saves possessions. I will give you interior defense though since Chandler did that pretty well last night.

Quote:
Fields,for all his great intagibles and heart,isn't aggressive enough on the offensive end.I think he is so blue collar that he forgets to be a threat on offense.
There's not enough possessions for him to be aggressive with the ball. He had one moment on the break, where he took and made a pullup jumper. But other than that, he's doing just what he should be doing and that's filling the gaps, cutting, tipping rebounds, grabbing loose balls. Felton gets the ball for the majority of each possession. And that's by design. When it ends up in Amar'e's hands for ISO's (which happens often) that's usually when the play is broken and/or Amar'e calls for it. Not enough room for Fields to get the ball to create. That's not his strength anyway.

Quote:
Walker and Williams hoist 3's.Sometimes they go in.Sometimes they don't.I don't mind though.They don't play too many minutes or kill us with their play.Nice sparks off the bench.Going forward however,I dont see any reason to keep them both.
Williams is absolutely automatic from the corners (not so much from anywhere else). I'd actually prefer it if he started at PF. He runs pressure very well on defense and has forced a bunch of turnovers this season in the backcourt.

Quote:
Felton is starting to feel himself a little too much.He's become really cocky lately.You can tell he is playing with a lot of confidence but he also thinks he's better than he really is lol.Also,he's an overrated defender.Wall and Nick Young were taking turns lighting him up lol.
I'd rather that than going into a slump because you feel sorry for yourself like Chandler did prior to last night.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #15
New York Knicks
Banned

For the record, points-per-shot (the ratio of points vs. FGA) is a more accurate measure of efficiency than just FG%. Cause if we only went by FG%, players like Kobe, wouldn't be considered top players statistically.

Vs. Washington
Gallo 1.30 PPS (17/13)
Chandler 1.25 PPS (25/20)

So while Chandler scored more points, he also took 7 more FGA.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: