Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 02-08-2011, 01:10 AM   #1
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Kevin Love

Prior to this season I hadn't watched very much of him other than his play at the World Championships. Recently i've seen a lot of his games and I just wanted to dispel this theory i've seen floating around on here by some posters. Kevin Love is putting up historic numbers at 21/15 per game and he isn't grabbing that many boards because he's on a bad team or because he has bad rebounders next to him, he's grabbing 15 boards a game because he's a work horse. I watched him today dominate against New Orleans. He's not overly fast or athletic, but he works hard at boxing out, he has a nose for the ball, he's tough as nails, and puts up a solid effort on defense. Charles Barkley has a lot of dumb things to say but one thing he said last week I believe is very true. He said that inflated stats from turrible teams mainly come from the offensive end of the floor. Defense and rebounding are about effort, and Kevin Love is damn good at that. I'd take a guy like that on my team any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Last edited by bokes15 : 02-08-2011 at 01:17 AM.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:24 AM   #2
hayden695
NBA lottery pick

hayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Kevin Love

I haven't watched him enough to say whether it is stat padding or not, but I would still love to have him. Also historic is his three point % for not just a big man who crashes the boards, but for most players.
hayden695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:30 AM   #3
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

^^ I've seen about 5 or 6 games this season which is still not a huge sample, but I can say that based on how hard he works, his offensive numbers might take a dip on a better team because they don't really run the offense through him but his rebounding ability and his D is all effort. Not like Reggie's "get out of my way" type of rebounds. And yeah, 43% is ridiculously good from 3.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:16 AM   #4
raptorfan_dr07
Local High School Star

raptorfan_dr07 has not been impressing people

Exactly. He's never gonna be the most athletic guy on the floor, but he more than makes up for it with skill and his workhorse mentality. Definitely deserving of his All-Star selection, even if it was an injury replacement. I've got to agree with that Barkley bit as well. I can't stand hearing people dismissing Love's play because he's on a bad team.
raptorfan_dr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:02 AM   #5
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

lilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputation

One word to describe Kevin Love. Overrated. He's playing for a contract. I remember one year when Chris Kaman was in a contract year and he upped his production to 15/13/3 after putting up 10/7/1.6 his previous year. Then after he got paid his production dipped and went back to his normal level. I expect the same from K.Love. He's still on his rookie contract. He's trying hard to make history and to get paid since his stats are having nothing to do with winning.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

^^^How can being elected to the allstar game as an injury replacement constitute being overrated? I think someone sounds a little butthurt that this year Love will have achieved more allstar appearances then Bargs will in his entire career.

Love is exactly what I want in a C. I don't care if his offensive numbers drop on a good team, I don't want my centre to be my leading scorer anyway. The key is that he plays his role exactly the way you want a 5 to, which is more than can be said for the 5's we've got on this current squad of ours.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

FCardelle has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
^^^How can being elected to the allstar game as an injury replacement constitute being overrated? I think someone sounds a little butthurt that this year Love will have achieved more allstar appearances then Bargs will in his entire career.
This is the best proof that he is overrated. Most people considered him to be a secure all-star, but the coaches don't think the same.
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
One word to describe Kevin Love. Overrated. He's playing for a contract. I remember one year when Chris Kaman was in a contract year and he upped his production to 15/13/3 after putting up 10/7/1.6 his previous year. Then after he got paid his production dipped and went back to his normal level. I expect the same from K.Love. He's still on his rookie contract. He's trying hard to make history and to get paid since his stats are having nothing to do with winning.

Man, I can't take it anymore.

I sit by and watch you make stupid comments about Bargs being an all-star and I never say anything because I feel bad that everyone picks on you.
But this is too much. Why go after a player that is all heart and hustle and having an incredible season, a career type season.
The guy is exactly the type of player I would love to have.
He would actually be the perfect compliment for Bargs. I guy who would do all the dirty work that Bargs is too soft for.

You need to learn some respect.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #9
DJMason
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCardelle
This is the best proof that he is overrated. Most people considered him to be a secure all-star, but the coaches don't think the same.

But the fact that he wasn't voted onto the team by fans by definition means that he isn't overrated by them. VC was overrated being a starting allstar even whilst injured for half the year, as was Iverson for a number of years (including almost making it last year) and as is Yao Ming with China laughably making him a starter.

Kevin Love is not overrated league-wide. Maybe in Raptor country given the gaping hole at the 5-spot that we have, but certainly not league-wide.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #10
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

keantona has decent reputation

I remember people insinuating that Bargnani's pathetic offensive rebound numbers are because he shoots so many threes. Kevin Love scores more 3 pointers per game than Bargnani does, yet he manages to pull down 4 times as many offensive rebounds as Bargnani does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
He's trying hard

Yeah, that's definitely one of the differences between Love and Bargnani. But even ignoring the fact that one has perhaps the best mindsets in the NBA and the other has perhaps the worst, we're past the point that anyone can be taken seriously claiming Bargnani is comparable in quality to Love.
keantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #11
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

Quote:
But the fact that he wasn't voted onto the team by fans by definition means that he isn't overrated by them. VC was overrated being a starting allstar even whilst injured for half the year, as was Iverson for a number of years (including almost making it last year) and as is Yao Ming with China laughably making him a starter.

Kevin Love is not overrated league-wide. Maybe in Raptor country given the gaping hole at the 5-spot that we have, but certainly not league-wide.
Reserves are selected by the head coaches. I don't know who selects replacements.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #12
DJMason
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCardelle
Reserves are selected by the head coaches. I don't know who selects replacements.

I know this. But you don't bother hoping to be a reserve unless the fans haven't voted you a starter. Understand? He wasn't voted a starter by the fans, ergo they aren't batsh*t crazy about him, ergo he isn't overrated. Pretty simple logic, hopefully you can follow.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #13
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The only reason Kevin Love wasn't instantly selected as an All-Star was because Popovich took his own guy Duncan even though he is clearly on the downside (but still a very productive player).

Kevin Love is legit and I would love to have someone like that at PF for my team for the long-run. You still need strength and defense beside him at C but that should go for any situation and team... except for the Raptors of course. We're trying an alternative method and changing the way the sport is played!

The only knock on Love is that his individual defense could be a bit better but it's still his 3rd year, he came off only 1 year in college and has a good build for the position. The huge amount of defensive rebounds he tears down helps his overall defensive play too. I also question if his 3pt shooting is for real. If he can stay above 40% from there, that's amazing and he'll continue to be a efficient scorer. I just wonder if he'll keep it up.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #14
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

Quote:
I know this. But you don't bother hoping to be a reserve unless the fans haven't voted you a starter. Understand? He wasn't voted a starter by the fans, ergo they aren't batsh*t crazy about him, ergo he isn't overrated. Pretty simple logic, hopefully you can follow.
I couldn't follow your logic because I didn't think that somebody could suggest that Kevin Love could have been an all-star starter, no matter how much overrated he is. In addition, nobody takes seriously fans voting. Fans vote for their preferred players even if they know that they are playing like scrubs that season. It is a popularity contest.
My point was: Many fans think that Kevin Love should be an all-star, head coaches don't think so. Then, Kevin Love is overrated by the fans. I hope you can follow my logic this time.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #15
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Q, in regards to his 3 point shooting, I'm going to say he can keep it up.

I'm a huge UCLA fan, and Love fan, and I can tell you that during his one year in the NCAA he was an incredible outside shooter. He would shoot and hit threes on the reg, and now in his 3rd season in the NBA, it seems that he has extended his range out to the NBA three point territory.

So, I don't think it's a fluke year for his 3PT%, I think he just finally has the confidence and green light to be able to let go from behind the arc.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: