Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 02-16-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
Kungfro
Takeo Ischi

Kungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Dead Island trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZqrG...layer_embedded

Quote:
The Royal Palms Resort is perched on the remote island of Banoi in Papua New Guinea. It's a tropical paradise turned tourist magnet, remote and exotic. Not the sort of place you'd expect to find scattered caches of weapons, boxes of grenades, rocket launchers leaning against walls, and mounted machine guns. In an effort to preserve that reality, Techland, the developers of Dead Island, have stripped those handy gaming conventions away, leaving a stark reality in their place.

Rather than run-and-gun their way through a meat maze, players will be forced to scavenge for objects and use them to beat their undead foes into submission. There are precious few firearms scattered around the island (and even less ammo), so the majority of the combat will be intimate. Knives, machetes, bats, broomsticks, pipes – these are your defenses against the horde of infected monsters. It's survival horror with a melee action twist, and it's disgusting.

Start choppin'.

Publisher Deep Silver and developer Techland recently showed me an early build of Dead Island, and the zombies were horrifying in their varying states of decay. With each blow, their already sloughing flesh fell away in sprays of blood, revealing layers of muscle underneath. The publisher describes Dead Island as dark, twisted and gritty, and the tiny sliver I've seen seems to support those claims. This is not the campy world of Dead Rising.

Dead Island's developers call it a "first-person zombie-slasher/action-RPG." That's a mouthful, and it's still unclear what the balance will be among those descriptors. Players will be able to choose from a cast of pre-set characters, including a former rapper named Sam B (the only character revealed so far)

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/115/1150368p1.html

Can't tell how the game is gonna play by the trailer, but it's pretty cool nonetheless.
Kungfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Dead Island trailer

We literally can't be seperated by more than 5 seconds.
Thorpesaurous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
Kungfro
Takeo Ischi

Kungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
We literally can't be seperated by more than 5 seconds.

Guess we discovered it at the same time. I just saw a thread about it on 4chan's /v/ board.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kungfro
Guess we discovered it at the same time. I just saw a thread about it on 4chan's /v/ board.

I was sifting through gameinformer.com.

Great minds I guess ... huh?
Old 02-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Could that trailer be any more disturbing? Meh, zombies are cool I guess.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Lebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

This looks great, I may buy it if it gets good reviews.
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Like I said, I don't usually dig First Person, and I'd hate to find out this is a First Person Hack and Slash type of thing, like a FP version of Dead Rising, which I just couldn't get into. But the trailer is pretty cool, and it certainly warrants keeping an eye out.

It's made by the same guys who did Call of Juarez, which I kind of picked up during a dry gaming spell, in spite of it's being First Person, and sort of dug it. It wasn't great, but it was good enough to hook me in and get me to beat it. So that gives me some hope too.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:46 PM   #8
craigthomasb
College star

craigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation here

i liked it, now i hear its first person, meh

it would be great to have a bit of a 3rd person stealth element to it, say during the day you can sneak about, work out ways to defend yourself, then at night when they all come out you just gotta run, kill survive etc
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
ballup
Fool Disguised Genius

ballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Does anyone else feel as if guy is giving the little girl to the zombies?
ballup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #10
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Here's a decent sized write up on some game play elements. It sounds like it's a little schizonphrenic right now. Not sure which way it's heading. It sounds a little Dead Rising-ish, which like I said, I just couldn't get into at all. It felt way too Arcadey. But then at the same time they make it sound like there's some RPG elements, and some narrative, and some attempt at realistically approaching the weapons and stuff.

There's also some pics in here that make me wonder if it is in fact first person.

I still have high hopes.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/de...good-time.aspx
Old 09-06-2011, 03:59 AM   #11
Kungfro
Takeo Ischi

Lol, game just came out, and they accidently put out the developer build. Noclip is bound to the Y key.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2101468

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXxio...layer_embedded

Last edited by Kungfro : 09-06-2011 at 04:03 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #12
Maniak
... :\

Maniak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'll download on my pc, but wont bother buying it.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #13
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

The reviews have looked good but not great. But if you actually read any of them, it sounds like it's a great game that was hit by a few hard flaws. Mainly that it lacks polish. The in game menu navigations and general controls are consistently describe as clunky, but everyone also seems to agree that once you adjust to them, the experience itself is very rewarding. It sounds like a great layout for exploring, and it's getting a lot of Badlands comps in terms of it's leveling pseudo RPG design.

I'm still iffy about the first person, and it seems to be heavily geared toward multiplayer, both of which are not exactly what I look for in a game, but I may give a swing anyhow.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:32 AM   #14
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

glidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation here

I'm interested in this one also. I'm currently playing Deus Ex and Gears of War 3 soon....so I don't know if I'll have time for Dead Island. My love for zombies still doesn't fully convince me to pick this one up just yet. That and I've never been into 1st person melee games.
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #15
Maniak
... :\

Maniak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I hear its glitchy.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: