Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 02-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Default Countdown to the Knicks...

...winning the Championship! Probably not this year, obviously, but maybe next year? 2013? 2014? Near future? Far future? Crazy time warp that sends them back to the 1850's somehow?

What's going to get it done? Year, roster, coach, and opponent-to-be-bested predictions in here folks.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Default Re: Countdown to the Knicks...

i hate that ppl in the media are already equating this as a failure because we may or may not win a ring.end of the day,with the guys we had,we werent even in the conversation.now we are.im so hyped to be a knicks fan right now
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
Draz
Like a Baoss.

I'm also hyped to be a knicks fan right about now to. With all the Rumors & pressure going down I felt like we needed something to relieve us somehow. We don't need a ring right now, were not chasing it. Were chasing an improving roster, some players that are dedicated to their position & nothing but that.

What we need is our management to kick in, now it's their turn. Get a new coach, get decent role players, we have 2 players that can take over the game whenever, however. We have actually 3. A decent player in Fields that can create if they leave him open, what we need is a Center.

With all of this said & done, we are the upcoming new team that will make sparks fly, when I say upcoming I'm not saying Wednesday, not next week, not a year from not years from now.
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:48 AM   #4
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
i hate that ppl in the media are already equating this as a failure because we may or may not win a ring.end of the day,with the guys we had,we werent even in the conversation.now we are.im so hyped to be a knicks fan right now
You hate that people in the media are expecting Melo and Amar'e to actually do something after all the clamoring? The whole point was to put the team into to contention, now (in the next two to three seasons). Can't win without "superstars", right? Well now you got the superstars; you better win. Short of that, and it's failure, plain and simple. I loved Patrick Ewing, but year after year of disappointment is never the plan.

The problem going forward is, how do you build around these two guys? "We want Me-Lo!" Well, he's here. Now what? You need size and great defense in at least two of the other spots. Landry Fields could turn into a good defender, but he also might get traded for Justin Bieber or something. Big, defensive centers aren't just sitting around out there. Not championship pieces, anyway - maybe some dumb stiffs like Earl Barron or Javale McGee, but Ben Wallace and Dikembe Mutombo are considerably rarer commodities. Do we get Dwight Howard? I'd trade five Carmelo's for him, but actually getting him in the big apple seems like a pipe dream. CP3's knees are going. Deron Williams maybe? Will they be able to afford him and still maintain any semblence of depth?

Does...

CP3/D-Will
Agua
Melo
Amar'e
Random 6'11" guy

...beat the Heat? Or the Celtics? Or the Bulls? Right now I'd have to say: No, eventually, and I have no idea.

Our most glaring weakness have gotten worse. This team still has some serious work to do. But at least we'll score a lot of points. And obviously the Melo jerseys will move nicely.

Anyway, assuming another major move is made (a smart major move), I could realistically see them as a threat as early as next season. If they get Dwight next year, they're instantly one of the favorites. If they get D-Will or CP3, I could see them making it into the second round or possibly farther. Depends on how what other teams do (Celtics age, Bulls get better, Magic get a good point guard, Hawks do anything at all with all that talent, some other team doesn't become awesome out of nowhere). So many variables.

And that's just the East. All the best teams and players in the West are either getting older or potentially moving to the East. Spurs, Mavs, Lakers older. Nash older. CP3/D-Will possibly to the East. The new up-and-coming teams seem to be the Thunder and the Kings. Maybe the Trailblazers. Maybe Oden gets healthy and gives them the most balanced, complete and dominant front court in the league. Solid as hell wing in Wes Matthews. Fernandez has been playing well for them lately and is obviously talented. Batum could break out and reach the potential he's displayed. You never know.

Depending on the timing, it might be easier for the Knicks to win the Finals than it would be for them to get to the Finals.

So, next two seasons things start to get serious (and franchize is excited ). I think, the year after that ('12-'13) real expectations set in (for the rest of the world, not just me). Knicks lose before the ECF, and people start wondering, what? Wait, this was supposed to work...

One thing I don't have a clue on is the coaching. I can't really see any serious candidates out there that have done more or as much as Mike D'Antoni has. JVG maybe. Never won. Jerry Sloan seems done. Never won. Rick Adelman's been to the Finals, but that was, like, a billion years ago, And he didn't win. Still, he's a good coach. Some young up-and-comer? Isiah Thomas?

Last edited by Scoooter : 02-23-2011 at 02:52 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:35 AM   #5
bluechox2
#knickstape

knicks are back and like always you have ny haters in the media shooting us down...it must be a bitter taste in their mouth to see ny suceed . They better air the whole player introduction on msg tonight...the gardens gonna be rocking.
bluechox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:52 AM   #6
Jasi
Quality?

Knicks are back and I don't think they overpriced to get Melo.

Most of the debate now is on that: "have the Knicks paid too much?".
But I think the most important point here is not this one.

Personally I would argue over the strategic consistency of adding Melo (one more big shooting forward star) rather than a big defensive C (Howard), and I think the choice to bet on Melo (betting on his capability to become a true, all-around, winning leader, I mean) has been caused more by the immediacy and ease of landing him rather than by a clear strategic vision.

This said,

MELO IS HERE
Jasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:51 AM   #7
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Where the hell is this all coming from?

The Knicks are not expect to compete for a championship this year or next.

This year we shouldn't EXPECT the team to go past the first round.

But I do think with these games coming up til the end of the season, that it should be enough time to develop chemistry to be able to compete.

I don't like mediocrity at all.

I think we have seen this team suck for a whole decade, and since their av average team, "that's better than what it was".

That isn't my bar, my bar is yearly contending.

I would have loved to have the youngsters here as well.

But the plan didn't work out in the summer of 2010.

And if anyone thinks that Melo was willing to lose over 40 million dollars to sign in the off-season, you are crazy.

Now we have the two stars, time to build.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #8
Clutch
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity

Now we have the two stars, time to build.

Time to sign a defensive center
Clutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
You hate that people in the media are expecting Melo and Amar'e to actually do something after all the clamoring?

No I hate when people act like if we don't win a ring this year or next year,this trade was a failure.Regardless,we got better.The guys we had we NOT going to win a ring and probably wouldn't have made it past the 1st round.Now,the notion is at least conceivable.That in itself makes this trade worth it.I was growing weary of other teams making major moves every year and we're rumored to be going after guys like Rudy Fernandez and Omri Casspi and Jeff Foster and Jared Jeffries and Joe Pryzbilla and Kurt Thomas etc etc etc.Guys that really won't make much of a difference.It's been a while since we made a move,invested a few decent role players and brought back a guy who's a difference maker.If this trade didn't get done,it woulda set us back a few years.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #10
bluechox2
#knickstape

maybe dalembert
bluechox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #11
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Im cool with Samuel Dalembert too.Lucky for us,Sacramento cut his playing time so his asking price/stock this summer has to go down.I wouldn't mind giving him maybe 3 or 4 mill.If he ask for anywhere near what he gets now, look at thim with the face and show him the door.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #12
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Where the hell is this all coming from?

The Knicks are not expect to compete for a championship this year or next.

This year we shouldn't EXPECT the team to go past the first round.

But I do think with these games coming up til the end of the season, that it should be enough time to develop chemistry to be able to compete.

I don't like mediocrity at all.

I think we have seen this team suck for a whole decade, and since their av average team, "that's better than what it was".

That isn't my bar, my bar is yearly contending.
But not this year or next. Gotcha.

I see where you're coming from. It's probably better to wait until Amar'e's knees are a couple of years older.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:48 PM   #13
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter
But not this year or next. Gotcha.

I see where you're coming from. It's probably better to wait until Amar'e's knees are a couple of years older.
Can you explain what you are trying to say?

I clearly missed it.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #14
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Can you explain what you are trying to say?

I clearly missed it.
I don't see why they shouldn't be expected to contend next year.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:00 AM   #15
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter
I don't see why they shouldn't be expected to contend next year.
I said I do expect them to contend.

But no, I don't think this team can win a championship as constructed.

Change of philosophy on offense and an awareness on defense can vastly improve this team.

Contender........ Orlando

Run for the championship.....Boston

Knicks...flawed playoff team

There are different levels to me.

I'm detecting there is something you really want to say.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: