Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 03-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Default Talks break down...

Really? How about they stop being such greedy ***** and work out a deal. A potential lockout will leave the door open for another sport to potentially dethrone the NFL(NBA, MLB?).

It would be a weird sight not watching football this coming fall.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
irondarts

Default Re: Talks break down...

Well, i won't be watching ESPN for a while, as it's going to turn into the NFL Labor channel 24/7, **** i'm sick of hearing about this bullshit.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
Well, i won't be watching ESPN for a while, as it's going to turn into the NFL Labor channel 24/7, **** i'm sick of hearing about this bullshit.

Well I haven't been watching BSPN's special labor coverage

Can anyone tell me what the main problem is? I'm hearing that the players will sue the NFL for antitrust now.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Motherf-ckers.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Blame the owners on this one. How much more money do they want?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Blame the owners on this one. How much more money do they want?

A billion dollars, greedy sons of *******.

If you didn't figure it out by now......

I'M MAD.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Quote:
The NFL Players Association has filed papers to decertify, effectively disbanding the union and giving it the chance to sue under antitrust laws if there is a lockout.

The move follows a 16th day of federally mediated negotiations in which the union, presented with a proposal from the league's owners group late Friday afternoon as a 5 p.m. decertification deadline approached, rejected the offer as "significant differences continue to remain," union chief DeMaurice Smith said. Without decertification, the union would've had to wait six months to file a suit after the expiration of the collective bargaining agreement.

Smith had said 10 years of audited financial records must accompany any request from the owners for an extension before the deadline , which was allowed to pass.

"We told them that please let us know by 5 p.m. today," Smith said. "We're going to head back to the office, and I'm sure we'll have further comment later on."

The owners' group convened among themselves late Friday afternoon to discuss the next steps, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

"They have financials. They just want to get to court," a management source told ESPN business analyst Andrew Brandt.

As the sides continued to negotiate in Washington, Smith told players during a conference call earlier in the day the plan was to decertify, a source told Schefter.

The league's collective bargaining agreement was set to expire at the end of the day.

Meanwhile, New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees rejoined the talks Friday, also reiterating the union's desire for the NFL owners to open their books.

Brees was among a group of about 20 people, including Smith, who walked over from the union's nearby headquarters. Brees and Smith were flanked by several other current or former players.

"To our fans -- I give you my word that we as players are doing everything we can to negotiate with the NFL towards a fair deal," Brees tweeted before the start of Friday's meetings. "The NFL brought this fight to us -- they want $1 billion back, we just want financial information to back up that request."

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and nine of the 10 members of the owners' labor committee, along with various league executives and lawyers, also arrived as talks resumed at 10 a.m. ET.

The NFL has said the union was offered unprecedented financial data, including some the league doesn't share with clubs. The league thought it was the first step in the beginning of financial transparency, but it was not transparent enough for the NFLPA.

"They refuse to give that information to us. They think we should just trust them. Would you?" tweeted Brees, who joined talks for the first time Wednesday. "We have a responsibility to our players -- past, present, and future, to advance this league forward, not take 3 steps back."

The CBA originally was supposed to expire last week. The sides agreed to push that deadline to Friday; if a deal isn't reached, there could be another extension.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6205936

Quote:
[Editor's note: The NFL has issued a statement regarding the events of March 11. The entire text appears below.]

The fastest way to a fair agreement is for both the union and the clubs to continue the mediation process. Unfortunately, the players’ union has notified our office that at 4pm ET it had “decertified” and is walking away from mediation and collective bargaining, presumably to initiate the antitrust litigation it has been threatening to file. In an effort to get a fair agreement now, the clubs offered a deal that would have had no adverse financial impact upon veteran players in the early years and would meet the players’ financial demands in the latter years.

The union left a very good deal on the table. It included an offer to narrow the player compensation gap that existed in the negotiations by splitting the difference; guarantee reallocation of savings from first-round rookies to veterans and retirees without negatively affecting compensation for rounds 2-7; ensure no compensation reduction for veterans; implement new year-round health and safety rules; retain the current 16-4 season format for at least two years with any subsequent changes subject to the approval of the league and union; and establish a new legacy fund for retired players ($82 million contributed by the owners over the next two years).

The union was offered financial disclosure of audited league and club profitability information that is not even shared with the NFL clubs.

The expanded health and safety rules would include a reduction in offseason programs of five weeks (from 14 to nine) and of OTAs (Organized Team Activities) from 14 to 10; significant reductions in the amount of contact in practices; and other changes.

At a time when thousands of employees are fighting for their collective bargaining rights, this union has chosen to abandon collective bargaining in favor of a sham “decertification” and antitrust litigation. This litigation maneuver is built on the indisputably false premise that the NFLPA has stopped being a union and will merely delay the process of reaching an agreement.

The NFL clubs remain committed to collective bargaining and the federal mediation process until an agreement is reached. The NFL calls on the union to return to negotiations immediately. NFL players, clubs, and fans want an agreement. The only place it can be reached is at the bargaining table.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-of-mediation/
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #9
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Damn I was hoping Kolb would get traded.

Still pumped for the draft.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:41 PM   #10
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

I blame both sides...

Quote:
The NFL has said the union was offered unprecedented financial data, including some the league doesn't share with clubs. The league thought it was the first step in the beginning of financial transparency, but it was not transparent enough for the NFLPA.

"They refuse to give that information to us. They think we should just trust them. Would you?" tweeted Brees, who joined talks for the first time Wednesday. "We have a responsibility to our players -- past, present, and future, to advance this league forward, not take 3 steps back."
NO Brees, I wouldn't trust them...

you are still gettting the money you wanted from your contract though right?...SO WHO GIVES A F*CK!!!???

as for the supposed info they won't share....that is too hazy to even comment on...the NFL claims they shared numbers, the players say it wasn't enough info...that leaves us fans clueless for the most part on that as to who is screwing who...

just meet in the middle already...
-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #11
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by -playmaker-
I blame both sides...

NO Brees, I wouldn't trust them...

you are still gettting the money you wanted from your contract though right?...SO WHO GIVES A F*CK!!!???

as for the supposed info they won't share....that is too hazy to even comment on...the NFL claims they shared numbers, the players say it wasn't enough info...that leaves us fans clueless for the most part on that as to who is screwing who...

just meet in the middle already...

I don't care anymore, they just need to get a new CBA. What's happening right now if bad for the NFL, the players and the fans.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #12
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
I blame both sides...

I dont see why. Fans should be on the players side. Not the filthy rich owners who want even more money. Get real. And Brees got what money?
Old 03-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #13
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Quote:
I dont see why. Fans should be on the players side. Not the filthy rich owners who want even more money. Get real. And Brees got what money?

THIS!
Old 03-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #14
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
I'm just saying that he signed a personal contract that HE and THEY agreed upon right?...his contract with the Saints, whatever that is...after he signed that contract he shouldn't care what the Saints owner is taking home...for the most part anyway...

I mean, both sides are going for more money, they are both being greedy...they are fighting over money...I'm not saying the owners shouldn't share more...or that they aren't greedy f*cks...just saying that if the players wanted, they could just keep what they originally agreed to keep...
-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #15
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
I'm just saying that he signed a personal contract that HE and THEY agreed upon right?...his contract with the Saints, whatever that is...after he signed that contract he shouldn't care what the Saints owner is taking home...for the most part anyway...

His contract isnt guranteed in full plus it was did over where Saints can void 2012, 2013 years. Drew Brees was seeking an extension before the CBA deadline and got nothing.

Drew not caring what the owners take home is funny. Owners are saying they dont get enough. Players say prove it. Open the books so we can see if what you are asking justifies what you have been getting. They dont seem to want that. Them opening books of parts they didnt ask to see is irrelevant.

Drew also has to make sure its fair for his peers, teammates.

Quote:
I mean, both sides are going for more money, they are both being greedy...they are fighting over money...I'm not saying the owners shouldn't share more...or that they aren't greedy f*cks...just saying that if the players wanted, they could just keep what they originally agreed to keep...

Owners are the greedy ones. Side with the players. Owners are crying broke. They are the ones that want things changed, different. Not the players. Players are fine for the most part with how things were going. Owners werent.

Here we are.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: