Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
Peteballa
Go Gators

Peteballa is a pretty well-respected posterPeteballa is a pretty well-respected posterPeteballa is a pretty well-respected poster
Default MVP is a joke

Proof - Jordan would have won it every year he was in the league if the award actually meant something.

MVP always goes to the "feel good" player of the year, the one that feels like he should be MVP.

Rose - Young, up and coming superstar, team has best record in the East, voters see no reason not to vote for him.

Except for the fact that, as great as Rose is, he isn't quite in the LeBron, Kobe tier of skill and impact. He just isn't the "most valuable player".

However, this argument is made every year. There are always people pointing out how flawed this award is, yet every season around this time there are heated debates about who should be the MVP, even though it really doesn't matter because the award is a joke.

PS - About Rose, I am not a Rose hater. I think he will win a few MVP's over the course of his career. I just believe this is premature and the credit for the Bulls success should be awarded elsewhere, like COTY (Thibs), and not an undeserved MVP; because, face it, as talented and already potent Rose is, he isn't the most valuable player in the NBA.
Peteballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
Rose
Moon Wizard

Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: MVP is a joke

I agree, and I'm sure a lot of others will say that it's a weak year. And that's honestly the reason why he's gonna get it.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
jasonresno
Banned

jasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

In a weak year he's the most justified option. Dwight and Dirk = 1b 1c.

Lakers have underperformed, same with Orlando, and the Bulls are doing what nobody thought possible...and Rose is a huge part of that.

Plus he's a feel good story and voters like that.
jasonresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
hkfosho
National High School Star

hkfosho has not been impressing people

MJ himself said Rose should be the MVP this year. And if he doesn't win it, "now he'll know I felt in all those years where I didn't win the MVP"
hkfosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
creepingdeath
How does my Dirk taste

creepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecreepingdeath is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Let's just wait until the last few games are over. If Dirk gets that #2 seed and keeps posting up the big numbers he's been putting on the statsheet for weeks now, he'd be more deserving imo. But I could live with Rose, too.
creepingdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
jasonresno
Banned

jasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkfosho
MJ himself said Rose should be the MVP this year. And if he doesn't win it, "now he'll know I felt in all those years where I didn't win the MVP"
MJ, Doc Rivers, Phil Jackson, Juwan Howard, Chris Bosh....
Old 03-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
Orlando Magic

Orlando Magic is considered somewhat coolOrlando Magic is considered somewhat cool

Feel Good Player of the Year Award... I like the sound of it. That about sums it up.
Orlando Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #8
Christofire
Banned

Christofire has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteballa
Proof - Jordan would have won it every year he was in the league if the award actually meant something.

MVP always goes to the "feel good" player of the year, the one that feels like he should be MVP.

Rose - Young, up and coming superstar, team has best record in the East, voters see no reason not to vote for him.

Except for the fact that, as great as Rose is, he isn't quite in the LeBron, Kobe tier of skill and impact. He just isn't the "most valuable player".

However, this argument is made every year. There are always people pointing out how flawed this award is, yet every season around this time there are heated debates about who should be the MVP, even though it really doesn't matter because the award is a joke.

PS - About Rose, I am not a Rose hater. I think he will win a few MVP's over the course of his career. I just believe this is premature and the credit for the Bulls success should be awarded elsewhere, like COTY (Thibs), and not an undeserved MVP; because, face it, as talented and already potent Rose is, he isn't the most valuable player in the NBA.

Yeah james impact is so great than he ran to miami to play alongside Wade and Bosh. James is losing ground as of late Wade has taken over the team. Also he disqualified himself from the race the moment he "took his talents to south beach" to become a very rich man's scottie man's scottie pippen
Christofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

NuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm not sure the award is a "joke". It's still the MVP. If your an All-Time great most of the time you'll find yourself winning one. Recently tho it's been kinda lame. When Shaq has one MVP and Nash has 2x there's probably a flaw in the system.

It's just a weak year for the MVP so Rose will see some undeserved hate. He should be in the discussion. Just probably shouldn't be the actual MVP at this stage in his career, at at his current level but not his fault. LeBron\Wade teaming up hinders two big time MVP candidates. Spurs not having anyone in there prime, no 1 guy truly elite takes another spot out of the running. L.A is having a down year in terms of wins vs other teams and Kobe's on a statistical decline. Magic aren't elite record wise so hinders Howard.

As much as it's a weak year for MVP I'm liking the surprise factor. Better than knowing LeBron was going to get it the past 2 years.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #10
drwax26
High School Starter

drwax26 has decent reputationdrwax26 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteballa

You clearly dont get the meaning of MVP. MVP doesnt just go to the best player in the league. How can a guy like Lebron win MVP when he isnt arguably the MVP of his own TEAM? Kobe isnt MVP because if anything the Lakers are looked at as underachieving so far this season as they have really only played consistently well since the All-Star break. Where as the Bulls have the 2nd best record in the entire league. Rose has improved his game and is the ONLY player in the league to average at least 24 points and 8 assist. I could still see a guy like a Dwight winning if the magic improve but if they stay in that 4th seed and dont have a top 5 record in the league i think the award is Rose to lose.
drwax26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
Orlando Magic

Orlando Magic is considered somewhat coolOrlando Magic is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwax26
You clearly dont get the meaning of MVP. MVP doesnt just go to the best player in the league. How can a guy like Lebron win MVP when he isnt arguably the MVP of his own TEAM? Kobe isnt MVP because if anything the Lakers are looked at as underachieving so far this season as they have really only played consistently well since the All-Star break. Where as the Bulls have the 2nd best record in the entire league. Rose has improved his game and is the ONLY player in the league to average at least 24 points and 8 assist. I could still see a guy like a Dwight winning if the magic improve but if they stay in that 4th seed and dont have a top 5 record in the league i think the award is Rose to lose.

The problem is there is no set criteria as clarified by the league for MVP. The voters just vote for whoever the hell they want and slightly change the reasoning on a yearly basis, and if you don't think so, you're kidding yourself.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #12
04mzwach
NBA sixth man of the year

04mzwach is considered somewhat cool04mzwach is considered somewhat cool04mzwach is considered somewhat cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po8ur7qWAnA
04mzwach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #13
jasonresno
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando Magic
The problem is there is no set criteria as clarified by the league for MVP. The voters just vote for whoever the hell they want and slightly change the reasoning on a yearly basis, and if you don't think so, you're kidding yourself.
Then why the uproar over Rose getting it? If there is not a definitive set of criteria he is as qualified as anyone.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:20 PM   #14
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

NuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando Magic
Feel Good Player of the Year Award... I like the sound of it. That about sums it up.

Best player of the year would be interesting. It'd be ridiculously hard to gauge tho seeing as how winning\best player pretty much go hand in hand for 99% of the population. It'd basically be going to one of the best statistical players on the best teams, much like the MVP.

Could you honestly see somebody on a borderline playoff team win that award? I personally couldn't. So it'd basically be the MVP with less pressure on choosing a player on a successful team.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #15
Orlando Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonresno
Then why the uproar over Rose getting it? If there is not a definitive set of criteria he is as qualified as anyone.

Because if at the core of your being, you don't think there's something wrong with him getting the absolute #1 tip top individual player award for the entire sport, much in the same way that Nash got two, Iverson got one, etc... then you just don't get it... and there's nothing I will ever be able to say to convince you otherwise.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: