Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-19-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
jrong
Revolution untelevised

jrong has a near all-star reputation herejrong has a near all-star reputation herejrong has a near all-star reputation herejrong has a near all-star reputation herejrong has a near all-star reputation herejrong has a near all-star reputation here
Default Anyone else think Jalen Rose planned this?

He could have easily contained the noise with a disclaimer that he was expressing his feelings as he felt at the time. Hell, maybe even Grant Hill's response was orchestrated because he's reaping benefits too.

Ok, the Grant Hill thing probably not. But, it's the best thing that could have happened for Jalen. Because the publicity for his film due to this "story" has been intensely magnified.
jrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Anyone else think Jalen Rose planned this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrong
He could have easily contained the noise with a disclaimer that he was expressing his feelings as he felt at the time. Hell, maybe even Grant Hill's response was orchestrated because he's reaping benefits too.

Ok, the Grant Hill thing probably not. But, it's the best thing that could have happened for Jalen. Because the publicity for his film due to this "story" has been intensely magnified.

He defiantly said it to get pub for the film. Worked like a charm....DRAMA!!!!!!!
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
sprainedankle
I airball my layups

sprainedankle has no real reputation yet.

Self-servicing "documentary" done by 4 of the Fab 5. It's plain to see what it is. He knew he couldn't call someone an Uncle Tom and a ***** and then pass it off as nothing.
Duke dominated them on the court. He's weak as hell for talking shi!t now.
sprainedankle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
jrong
Revolution untelevised

jrong has a near all-star reputation herejrong has a near all-star reputation herejrong has a near all-star reputation herejrong has a near all-star reputation herejrong has a near all-star reputation herejrong has a near all-star reputation here

All Grant would have had to have done to quash this is say it's clear Jalen was speaking as he felt then through the lens of a kid growing up with his experience. Instead not only did he reply defensively, he used some pretentious language in the editorial as if to say I'm smarter than you.

ETA: And for Jalen Rose, it's working out better than he could have ever possibly imagined.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
YAH trick YAH
Local High School Star

YAH trick YAH has decent reputationYAH trick YAH has decent reputation

Yeah I think so. Deadspin had a post on this yesterday actually. An ESPN analyst producing a documentary about himself on ESPN. Then said quote is put out in the open before it airs by ESPN, and Rose is then asked repeatedly about the quote that ESPN only had access to in the first place.

All just a bunch of drama to get hits for the documentary. And I think he did say that was what he felt like when he was younger right? I haven't even watched it yet.
YAH trick YAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
LMFAO
Serious playground baller

LMFAO has decent reputationLMFAO has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisoner
He defiantly said it to get pub for the film. Worked like a charm....DRAMA!!!!!!!
not in my case. I would not watch this trash now if paid to do so.
LMFAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
LMFAO
Serious playground baller

LMFAO has decent reputationLMFAO has decent reputation

Quote:
All Grant would have had to have done to quash this is say it's clear Jalen was speaking as he felt then through the lens of a kid growing up with his experience. Instead not only did he reply defensively, he used some pretentious language in the editorial as if to say I'm smarter than you.

ETA: And for Jalen Rose, it's working out better than he could have ever possibly imagined.
hows that chip on your shoulder? Or did Grant Hill's manliness just knock it to the ground. BTW just because an educated man is black does not make him pretentious when he express himself out of the depths of his education. Would you call his response pretentious if he were white? I think not.
LMFAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:09 AM   #8
jrong
Revolution untelevised

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMFAO
hows that chip on your shoulder? Or did Grant Hill's manliness just knock it to the ground. BTW just because an educated man is black does not make him pretentious when he express himself out of the depths of his education. Would you call his response pretentious if he were white? I think not.

Anyone who quotes Latin in an op-ed about this kind of subject matter is being pretentious. And, yes, I would call anyone out for it. In fact, if he were white, the word we use for a person like that is "douche".

Whether Hill realizes it or not, he played into the stereotype that the young Jalen Rose had of him....
Old 03-20-2011, 01:11 AM   #9
ukfan22
Great young streetballer

ukfan22 has decent reputation

And now Duke plays Michigan tomorrow.
ukfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:47 AM   #10
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Anyone who quotes Latin in an op-ed about this kind of subject matter is being pretentious. And, yes, I would call anyone out for it. In fact, if he were white, the word we use for a person like that is "douche".

Whether Hill realizes it or not, he played into the stereotype that the young Jalen Rose had of him....

Who cares whether Hill played into some kind of stereotype or not. He was personally insulted by no fault of his own and he defended himself I find it funny that posters here who constantly defend there e-rep whenever another poster calls them out, thinks worse of an NBA player who does the exact same thing.

NEWSFLASH - When a person feels insulted oftentimes they don't take the time to put a comment into proper context. If I was Hill and I kept hearing over and over again that somebody called me an Uncle Tom, I wouldn't be too pleased either.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:51 AM   #11
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
Who cares whether Hill played into some kind of stereotype or not. He was personally insulted by no fault of his own and he defended himself I find it funny that posters here who constantly defend there e-rep whenever another poster calls them out, thinks worse of an NBA player who does the exact same thing.

NEWSFLASH - When a person feels insulted oftentimes they don't take the time to put a comment into proper context. If I was Hill and I kept hearing over and over again that somebody called me an Uncle Tom, I wouldn't be too pleased either.
Hill should have been intelligent enough to call out the stupid media who took the comment out of context and made it much more insulting than it was ever intended rather than lashing out at Rose... Who clearly was stating the way he felt as an 18-year-old competitor.

The whole thing is just f#cking ridiculous. It may be true, though, that Jalen may have been smart enough to cook up this whole thing in an attempt to draw publicity to the doc.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:01 AM   #12
olddangerfield
Banned

olddangerfield has decent reputation

he did what he had to. If he's better off for it then so be it. If he did indeed plan it and it caused him some sort of gain then it was a smart move.
olddangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:11 AM   #13
SCY
Put yr guns up

SCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Hill should have been intelligent enough to call out the stupid media who took the comment out of context and made it much more insulting than it was ever intended rather than lashing out at Rose... Who clearly was stating the way he felt as an 18-year-old competitor.

The whole thing is just f#cking ridiculous. It may be true, though, that Jalen may have been smart enough to cook up this whole thing in an attempt to draw publicity to the doc.

Hill (and anyone) is well within his rights to defend himself against negative comments, no matter if they were made yesterday or 20 years ago. To use an outrageous example, if it came out that someone had claimed I was a child molester back when they were 18, I'm damn well going to defend myself against that comment regardless if that person still feels the same way.
SCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:17 AM   #14
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCY
Hill (and anyone) is well within his rights to defend himself against negative comments, no matter if they were made yesterday or 20 years ago. To use an outrageous example, if it came out that someone had claimed I was a child molester back when they were 18, I'm damn well going to defend myself against that comment regardless if that person still feels the same way.
See, but Rose didn't say that Hill was, in fact, an Uncle Tom, so the child molester thing doesn't really apply. Rose said that, in 1991, he viewed the black players on Duke as Uncle Toms. The statement was made to simply contrast the different cultures of the two programs and how that upstart Michigan team played with a chip on its shoulder.

When put in its proper context, it clearly wasn't a direct insult of Hill.

And, yeah... Hill is well within his rights to defend himself if he feels that he was wronged in the documentary. And, I'm well within my rights to think that he went way overboard and allowed the media to manipulate him into releasing that statement.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:19 AM   #15
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS

there was obviously time spent reviewing and proofreading that article...Let's not pretend it was some spur of the moment retort.

Last edited by IGOTGAME : 03-20-2011 at 02:21 AM.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: