Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-19-2011, 08:04 AM   #1
dannysc305
Great young streetballer

dannysc305 has an OK reputation so far
Default Video on Kobe being overrated, what do you think?

I find this video pretty interesting. Kobe homers, I know just the name of the video will turn you off, but at least try to watch and take the content of the video into consideration. Don't be ignorant and go on a rant about Kobe's rings without even listening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc2yQ...eature=related

This is the link to the article that he is referring to in the video.

http://hoopsapedia.webs.com/nbaalltimescorers.htm

Last edited by dannysc305 : 03-19-2011 at 08:16 AM.
dannysc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
Mirjalovic
Forza Lazio !!!!!!!

Mirjalovic has not been impressing people
Default Re: Video on Kobe being overrated, what do you think?

Why Kobe homers need to listening you since you've been ignorant about Kobe's rings ????
Mirjalovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
El Seano
Hey Boston! **** you!

El Seano has an OK reputation so far

Not entirely sure the most intelligent analysis will come from a man who says "Homie don't play that" and is serious when doing so.

Summary of points who those who don't wanna spend 15 minutes listening to some ****** shout (I don't have much of a life, clearly):

1. The LA media market hypes Kobe upto more than he is. It's the power of the media market that makes him appear greater.
2. He only plays D when it suits him.
3. Ref's call fouls if you cough on Kobe, the NBA protects him.
4. Shaq was the man for the first 3 rings, he only played well against the nets in the finals.
5. All his high scoring games were against terrible defensive teams.

6. "THE MEDIA HAS TWISTED YOUR MINDS".

7. There's an article that says he's not clutch. He made all those gamewinners last year but he's blown games more than he's won. He only got ranked higher in clutch ratings because he looked to take shots at the end of the game. This is selfish, not accurate.

8. He is selfish, he shoots poorly but still shoots. (by this point the guy is literally hyperventilating. He then reverts back to "MEDIA DONE BRAINWASHED YOU ALL!" He then talks about seeing "seeing the light" about Kobe.

9. When you miss 55% of the shots in your career, you're not great at anything. He's a great scorer, not an elite scorer. Goes back to the media argument.

10. Kobe's MVP should have been Chris Pauls. He only deserved it in 02-03. His MVP was a media "pimp job".

11. All Defensive teams have become popularity contests (he sounds choked up as he says John Salmons was a better defender last year, wonderful quote here; "DO YOU WATCH THE ENTIRE NBA OR NOT?! I HAVE THE LEAGUE PASS!".)

12. If Kobe played in OKC, he'd get no media attention. Kobe never really improved, he just stayed the same bad selfish player. He got credit for cashing in on Shaq's double and triple teams. "Shaq leaves, Lakers suck, they decide to spend money and put a team round this guy."

13. Pau Gasol won the titles. By this point he is literally irate. It's pretty funny. "I'M GONNA WRITE AN ARTICLE. STOP BEING AFRAID OF STATS!"

At a guess the guy then went and hugged his Durant jersey whilst crying salty manbaby tears because people wont stop "BELEIVING THE MEDIA HYPE."

Last edited by El Seano : 03-19-2011 at 08:34 AM.
El Seano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
indiefan24
Banned

indiefan24 is considered somewhat coolindiefan24 is considered somewhat cool

i think this thread will be another 12+ pages loaded with gifs, lebricks and komes.
indiefan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
indiefan24
Banned

indiefan24 is considered somewhat coolindiefan24 is considered somewhat cool

indiefan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #6
Clutch
Stop flopping

Clutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiefan24
i think this thread will be another 120+ pages loaded with gifs, lebricks and komes.
fixed
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #7
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

So here is what I got...

The media pimped Kobe on to us...and now Rose...etc. etc. etc. and LeBron is better then both.
Rings do not matter because it is a team sport...Kobe defense is overrated because he plays when he wants to play and gets away with murder. And stats tell the truth and nothing but.
He does come on saying the Kobe is one of the 6 greatest perimeter players of all time.

Where should I start....

Let's talk about media "pimping".
When Kobe came to the NBA the media did push for him in their ever endless quest to dub someone the new Jordan. Nothing new...they did that with Harold Miner, Grant Hill, Penny and countless others. Yes he does play for a major market but he got the attention first off because he was good. It does help he was playing for the Lakers but that is not the main reason Kobe was "pimped". Last I checked Cleveland is a small market and they had a "King" who gets more media play then anyone else. OKC with Durant with his new huge Nike contract is about to get pimped as well...guess what these guys have something in common with Kobe...they are good.

The whole rings do not count BS....Kobe served key roles in all 5 title runs. The first three as the second part of an NBA's greatest duo and the other 2 as the main guy. Titles are the most important STAT for a star player. It makes your career legendary. Who we will we remember...Magic, Bird and the Dream as top ten greatest? Or Malone, Ewing, and Iverson? I rest my case. Titles matter...they just do not matter at the moment if you have an agenda.

Kobe's defense....he is a good defender. Kobe at the top of his game can shut down the main player on the other team and always wanted that assignment. And he does not benefit from being able to hand check people like they where able to do in the 90's. Look at Kobe Gold Medal performance and role on the USA team.

Now STATS......other wise known as Kobe's FG%. That's just it...people want to call him a chucker...a ball hog (Kobe scored 81 but had no assist) and this all makes him overrated and incomparable to MJ.
I will agree with that...the MJ part. That is what sets Jordan higher on my list then Kobe...and that is what is different in their games. But this does not make Kobe overrated in any which way. It is Kobe's game...like Mike he leaves no bullets in the chamber but Kobe takes more difficult shots. And that's just Kobe...when he is on fire and he makes everything it is a sight to see. And when he is off some night Kobe will still make the ones he needs to make to keep the Lakers in the game or win it in the clutch. But like I said that is his game and it is fearless. I would go to battle with a guy like Kobe on my team anytime. And when all is said and done Kobe will earn his spots as one of the greatest of all time...right behind Jordan.

Now stop this overrated crap.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:42 AM   #8
dannysc305
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirjalovic
Why Kobe homers need to listening you since you've been ignorant about Kobe's rings ????

Rings are not an individual achievement it's a team achievement. Kobe just so happened to be on 5 championship TEAMS.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:48 AM   #9
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannysc305
Rings are not an individual achievement it's a team achievement. Kobe just so happened to be on 5 championship TEAMS.

Yeah he had no role on those teams what so ever. Replace Kobe with a chimp and they would still win.

Shaq before Kobe played with Penny Hardaway in his prime...zero rings.

Gasol before he played with Kobe never won a playoff game.

So I guess Scottie Pippen does not deserve to be a top 50 player of all time or the hall of fame in your book because he lived off of Jordan? Pippen had nothing to do with the Bulls 6 titles....and by the way you are talking Jordan has nothing to do with those titles as well...same with Magic...same with Bird.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #10
dannysc305
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Seano
Not entirely sure the most intelligent analysis will come from a man who says "Homie don't play that" and is serious when doing so.

Summary of points who those who don't wanna spend 15 minutes listening to some ****** shout (I don't have much of a life, clearly):

1. The LA media market hypes Kobe upto more than he is. It's the power of the media market that makes him appear greater.
2. He only plays D when it suits him.
3. Ref's call fouls if you cough on Kobe, the NBA protects him.
4. Shaq was the man for the first 3 rings, he only played well against the nets in the finals.
5. All his high scoring games were against terrible defensive teams.

6. "THE MEDIA HAS TWISTED YOUR MINDS".

7. There's an article that says he's not clutch. He made all those gamewinners last year but he's blown games more than he's won. He only got ranked higher in clutch ratings because he looked to take shots at the end of the game. This is selfish, not accurate.

8. He is selfish, he shoots poorly but still shoots. (by this point the guy is literally hyperventilating. He then reverts back to "MEDIA DONE BRAINWASHED YOU ALL!" He then talks about seeing "seeing the light" about Kobe.

9. When you miss 55% of the shots in your career, you're not great at anything. He's a great scorer, not an elite scorer. Goes back to the media argument.

10. Kobe's MVP should have been Chris Pauls. He only deserved it in 02-03. His MVP was a media "pimp job".

11. All Defensive teams have become popularity contests (he sounds choked up as he says John Salmons was a better defender last year, wonderful quote here; "DO YOU WATCH THE ENTIRE NBA OR NOT?! I HAVE THE LEAGUE PASS!".)

12. If Kobe played in OKC, he'd get no media attention. Kobe never really improved, he just stayed the same bad selfish player. He got credit for cashing in on Shaq's double and triple teams. "Shaq leaves, Lakers suck, they decide to spend money and put a team round this guy."

13. Pau Gasol won the titles. By this point he is literally irate. It's pretty funny. "I'M GONNA WRITE AN ARTICLE. STOP BEING AFRAID OF STATS!"

At a guess the guy then went and hugged his Durant jersey whilst crying salty manbaby tears because people wont stop "BELEIVING THE MEDIA HYPE."

You right. He was being irate, he was ranting, and he was hyperventilating... He sounded so butthurt the whole time... I just think that the whole gist of the video was that he is great, but he is OVERRATED in other words, people are making him out to be more than he is, and that I can agree with. He isn't all that people say he is, and a big reason why people say all those things is because most people are getting their information from the media a.k.a. ESPN, NBA TV, newspapers, etc. I also agree that Kobe is a shotjacker and alot of his scoring achievements come by VOLUME and not accuracy. People forget all of Kobe's missed gamewinners, but he comes out last season and makes 6, and that's the only thing everyone remembers. I can't respect Kobe as a guy that, for example, has a decent game of 25 pts, but does it on something like 9-25 shooting... 25 points isn't as attractive as it seems when you put the fact that it took 25 shots to do it in perspective.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:00 AM   #11
dannysc305
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisoner
Yeah he had no role on those teams what so ever. Replace Kobe with a chimp and they would still win.

Shaq before Kobe played with Penny Hardaway in his prime...zero rings.

Gasol before he played with Kobe never won a playoff game.

So I guess Scottie Pippen does not deserve to be a top 50 player of all time or the hall of fame in your book because he lived off of Jordan? Pippen had nothing to do with the Bulls 6 titles....and by the way you are talking Jordan has nothing to do with those titles as well...same with Magic...same with Bird.
Still, championships are not an individual achievement. It's a team achievement. Everybody has to work together and make contributions to the team in order to win. As a team. What part of that do you people not understand? Why are people making championships an individual achievement? Beats me, really. The L.A. Lakers won those championships, and I personally will never credit any player with championships as an achievement. When you debate which TEAMS are better, then Championships are a factor.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:03 AM   #12
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

Quote:
You right. He was being irate, he was ranting, and he was hyperventilating... He sounded so butthurt the whole time... I just think that the whole gist of the video was that he is great, but he is OVERRATED in other words, people are making him out to be more than he is, and that I can agree with. He isn't all that people say he is, and a big reason why people say all those things is because most people are getting their information from the media a.k.a. ESPN, NBA TV, newspapers, etc. I also agree that Kobe is a shotjacker and alot of his scoring achievements come by VOLUME and not accuracy. People forget all of Kobe's missed gamewinners, but he comes out last season and makes 6, and that's the only thing everyone remembers. I can't respect Kobe as a guy that, for example, has a decent game of 25 pts, but does it on something like 9-25 shooting... 25 points isn't as attractive as it seems when you put the fact that it took 25 shots to do it in perspective.

Explain overrated....what has the media put out there about him. General consensus on Kobe is that he is one of the best players of his generation and probably set up to be the second best SG of all time.

Argue why not? Because he is a "shot jacker" is a lame duck excuse of an argument. He missed game winners? So did other great players.

You will lose in the argument you know why...you can not deny Kobe's career.

Part of the best duo's in the NBA that won 3 straight titles.
Do not give me that second fiddle crap so what if he was. That suppose to make him who Pippen? ANd last I checked Pippen played that fiddle to the HOF.

2 titles as the main guy after everyone else said he would never do that.

Regular Season MVP...could easily be more.

Endless NBA first teams and first team defense.

81 points in a single game.

Longest 40 point game streak.

list goes on and will continue to grow.

And you still say overrated?

Old 03-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #13
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

Quote:
Still, championships are not an individual achievement. It's a team achievement. Everybody has to work together and make contributions to the team in order to win. As a team. What part of that do you people not understand? Why are people making championships an individual achievement? Beats me, really. The L.A. Lakers won those championships, and I personally will never credit any player with championships as an achievement. When you debate which TEAMS are better, then Championships are a factor.

And you do this why.....to take credit away from a certain player because you have what is called an agenda. If your favorite player had the rings you would probably have a different point of view. So in your opinion...John Stockton is a better player then Magic Johnson...Stockton did not have the titles but when you look at his stats he has the most assists of all time. And Karl Malone is a better player then Tim Duncan...no he does not have the titles but he has more points then Duncan. Will you please makes thread to back up your theories on Duncan and Magic being overrated next.

Kobe like Magic...like Bird...like Jordan was the main piece a team built around to win a title. That counts a whole bunch.

Last edited by crisoner : 03-19-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:40 AM   #14
necya
Local High School Star

necya has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
And you do this why.....to take credit away from a certain player because you have what is called an agenda. If your favorite player had the rings you would probably have a different point of view. So in your opinion...John Stockton is a better player then Magic Johnson...Stockton did not have the titles but when you look at his stats he has the most assists of all time. And Karl Malone is a better player then Tim Duncan...no he does not have the titles but he has more points then Duncan. Will you please makes thread to back up your theories on Duncan and Magic being overrated next.

Kobe like Magic...like Bird...like Jordan was the main piece a team built around to win a title. That counts a whole bunch.

i've read some of your posts and conclude that your basketball knowledges are limited.
never seen a kobe fan with a smart post...
necya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:52 AM   #15
ginobli2311
Very good NBA starter

ginobli2311 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterginobli2311 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterginobli2311 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterginobli2311 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterginobli2311 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterginobli2311 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterginobli2311 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterginobli2311 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterginobli2311 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterginobli2311 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Rings definitely matter.

How a player wins those rings definitely matters as well.

But in general on here, rings are way over-rated for comparing players. Don't use the agenda crap with me, because MJ and Russell are the two guys i have above everyone else.

What we are saying, is so much of winning a ring is dependent on things outside of the control of one player. There are so many games that are impacted by the coach or role players or secondary players to get into this area of trying to credit one player with a ring. So when I hear...."MJ has 6 vs Kobe's 5 or Duncan's 4. Please. Give it a rest. Those teams won titles.

Is Kobe worse if Robert Horry and Derek Fisher don't make huge shot after huge shot? Did he somehow play the game worse? Does Kobe's game 7 last year become worse if Gasol/Artest/Fisher didn't make huge plays down the stretch?

Of course not. But that is what we do here. We pretend that all players have equal chances to win rings and then we pretend that all rings are equal.

Christ, just look at the level of play of Kobe for his career in the finals. What other all time great had the luxury of playing like that for his career in the finals and still walking away with 5 rings? I can't even remotely think of anyone close.

Imagine Lebron playing as awful as he did in 07 but still having a ring. Does that make him a better player? If you answer yes to this....i give up.

So the logical answer is no.....so can we all agree that often times rings are not won/lost by one player.

I'm just not impressed as much with any player that can have a poor series on the biggest stage and still win. Its still a great a accomplishment, but I'm not going to put Kobe's last 2 performances in the finals in the same stratosphere was some of Jordan's or Hakeem's or Duncan's or Shaq's or Magic's.

Circumstances matter when we start talking players. Its not just about Kobe. Sorry, same will be true with Lebron/Wade. Their potential rings just won't mean as much as Jordan's or Duncan's. The only thing Wade/Lebron have going for them is that they can still play really well and win. And ultimately, that is why Kobe's teams are always brought up....his level of play and impact warrants it. If Kobe played great and won, nobody would say a thing. But when you shoot 41% for your career in the finals and have some truly horrific performances....team strength is going to come into play when we hear "5 rings".
ginobli2311 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: