Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
Christofire
Banned

Christofire has an OK reputation so far
Default The leBron James mystique

What is it that makes James better than everyone else?....

I'm always perplexed by this. People consider James to be the best player in the league but can never really explain why in terms of basketball skill.

He's atheletic, and is a very good passer. His athleticism allows him to do what he does on offense. Can his obvious aadvantage in athleticism be the sole reason he's considered the best player in the league.

James trumps wade in athleticism, passing(not by a large margin) and 3pt shooting. But wade has better fundamentals, better post up, better handle better midrange game, better defender(steals, blocks and on ball) and is more clutch(in games that matter). they are equally as good at finishing at the rim and getting to the line(some may give wade the edge in getting to the line). Wade is better at weaving through traffic to get to the rim. Rebounding is even.

Yet people will still say that james is better than Wade. Please explain to me what is the mystique that surrounds LeBron James that despite wade being a more skilled player that you'd still considered James to be a better player?
Christofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
jstern
Great college starter

jstern has decent reputationjstern has decent reputation
Default Re: The leBron James mystique

How many years have you been watching basketball?

James is very athletic, and he's very, very skilled.
jstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here

James can do everything Wade can do, but he's bigger stronger, and comparably fast. And he's a better passer. Best player in the game.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
His athleticism allows him to do what he does on offense. Can his obvious aadvantage in athleticism be the sole reason he's considered the best player in the league.

Sure. Physical talents are/were the primary reason a lot of people are who they are. Mikan, Wilt, Magic, Jordan, Hakeem, and Shaq while all skilled in ways....more than anything they were special in physical ways. Even Magic who wasnt an insane athlete was special because of his skills at his size. Unreal agility, speed, hops, big hands, and so on have been major reasons many great players are who they are. You are what you are. Not what you would be if the world were fair.

Plenty of people are more skilled than Lebron(Nash for one). But without the physical tools they just arent able to dominate the way he can.
Kblaze8855 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
Christofire
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter
James can do everything Wade can do, but he's bigger stronger, and comparably fast. And he's a better passer. Best player in the game.

Outside of passing and shooting 3s what can he do better than wade. These are the vague explanations that i'm talking about.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
EnoughSaid
#COYG

EnoughSaid is popular on this boardEnoughSaid is popular on this boardEnoughSaid is popular on this boardEnoughSaid is popular on this boardEnoughSaid is popular on this board

LeBron James is the MOST consistent player in the league. Every game he can put up big numbers and help his team.
EnoughSaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
Christofire
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Sure. Physical talents are/were the primary reason a lot of people are who they are. Mikan, Wilt, Magic, Jordan, Hakeem, and Shaq while all skilled in ways....more than anything they were special in physical ways. Even Magic who wasnt an insane athlete was special because of his skills at his size. Unreal agility, speed, hops, big hands, and so on have been major reasons many great players are who they are. You are what you are. Not what you would be if the world were fair.

Plenty of people are more skilled than Lebron(Nash for one). But without the physical tools they just arent able to dominate the way he can.

Fair enough i guess, that would be one of the better explanations i've ever gotten. At least you didnt take the route of exaggerating or denying the obvious
Old 03-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #8
Christofire
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnoughSaid
LeBron James is the MOST consistent player in the league. Every game he can put up big numbers and help his team.

Most consistent?....i'd say it's a toss up between he and wade for most consistent.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
FindingTim
National High School Star

FindingTim is considered somewhat coolFindingTim is considered somewhat coolFindingTim is considered somewhat cool

I'm one of those "trolls" who is certain that Wade is the best player in the league. Lebron may have him beat in athleticism, but Wade is much smarter, more aggressive, has a deeper offensive repertoire, is far more unpredictable, is the best shot-blocking guard in the league, and when motivated he is absolutely fearless.

but I'm a troll, and a moron for thinking Wade is the best.

still, in my eyes I'm just less susceptible to the Lebron hype and the impact of Lebron's size/athleticism, which people are gaga over.

He is an all-time great, no doubt, and he has the stats to prove it- but Dwyane Wade is, quite simply, a better basketball player.

Last edited by FindingTim : 03-19-2011 at 06:17 PM.
FindingTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:16 PM   #10
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christofire
Outside of passing and shooting 3s what can he do better than wade. These are the vague explanations that i'm talking about.
I didn't say better, I said he can do everything Wade can do and he's a lot more physically gifted. The skill components of their games are actually very similar (LeBron being the better passer; Wade possibly having the better mid-range game), but LeBron's built like a defensive end. Except taller.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:22 PM   #11
Christofire
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingTim
I'm one of those "trolls" who is certain that Wade is the best player in the league. Lebron may have him beat in athleticism, but Wade is much smarter, more aggressive, has a deeper offensive repertoire, is far more unpredictable, is the best shot-blocking guard in the league, and when he is motivated he is absolutely fearless.

but I'm a homer, a troll, and a moron for thinking Wade is the best.

still, in my eyes I'm just less susceptible to the Lebron hype and the impact of Lebron's size/athleticism, which people are gaga over.

He is an all-time great, no doubt, and he has the stats to prove it- but Dwyane Wade is, quite simply, a better basketball player.

I feel the same way. I just wish people would call a spade a spade. James is not a better player than wade or Kobe because his skills do not indicate so. But i would never deny that James size/athleticism in conjunction with the skills he does have allows him dominate in a way that Wade and Kobe can't when he is on his game. Which is athletic superiority. They have to rely more heavily on skill to dominate where as James when his skill is is off his superior athleticism can carry to good game regardless.

watch out when James has his skills and athleticism working on the same night.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #12
EnoughSaid
#COYG

EnoughSaid is popular on this boardEnoughSaid is popular on this boardEnoughSaid is popular on this boardEnoughSaid is popular on this boardEnoughSaid is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingTim
I'm one of those "trolls" who is certain that Wade is the best player in the league. Lebron may have him beat in athleticism, but Wade is much smarter, more aggressive, has a deeper offensive repertoire, is far more unpredictable, is the best shot-blocking guard in the league, and when motivated he is absolutely fearless.

but I'm a troll, and a moron for thinking Wade is the best.

Nice post. I'm a HUGE Wade fan. But I still would take Bron over him.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:26 PM   #13
EnoughSaid
#COYG

Quote:
Most consistent?....i'd say it's a toss up between he and wade for most consistent.

Nope. This season, LeBron has only had 1 bad game, which was the 3rd meeting between the Heat and the Knicks at MSG. I can name numerous games where Wade has underperformed.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #14
che guevara
National High School Star

che guevara is popular on this boardche guevara is popular on this boardche guevara is popular on this boardche guevara is popular on this boardche guevara is popular on this board

Quote:
Lebron is also a better midrange shooter by quite a bit, and is a better finisher. Wade also isn't more clutch, every bit of evidence says that Lebron has been better (and significantly so) since 2008.

As Kblaze said, physical tools are a huge reason why players are who they are. Kareem and Hakeem, both tremendously skilled centers, wouldn't have been anything had they been normal sized 5'10" men. Kobe is one of the most skilled SGs ever and he might have been able to make the league had he been 5'10", but he wouldn't be what he is, you can go on and on with these examples. 99% of the players in the league are who they are because of physical skills more than anything else.

Last edited by che guevara : 03-19-2011 at 06:33 PM.
che guevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #15
Christofire
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnoughSaid
Nope. This season, LeBron has only had 1 bad game, which was the 3rd meeting between the Heat and the Knicks at MSG. I can name numerous games where Wade has underperformed.

Wow gross exaggeration, and what is your definition of a bad game. i bet you that the triple double he had en route to quitting last season was a great game despite the crucial turnovers he made, bricked crucial shots and excessive deferals to toehr players down the stretch to the tine of 9 TOs?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: