Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 03-22-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Triano & Terry Fox

http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/clip437351#clip437351

It's gettin' a little dusty in here...
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:10 PM   #2
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Triano & Terry Fox

I like Jay Triano. He seems like a good guy and I appreciate what he did with the Canada basketball team all those years.

As frustrating it is watching some of his lineup decisions, he's just doing what is going to prolong his employment status as a head coach. You can't blame him for that. I hate that Reggie Evans is playing so much but that wouldn't be an issue if the GM simply bought him out and Triano would have no other option that to play guys like Davis and Dorsey. He's just doing the bidding of Colangelo because otherwise, you can be like Sam Mitchell where one bad loss and not playing the franchise golden boy will get you canned.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:36 AM   #3
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I like Jay Triano. He seems like a good guy and I appreciate what he did with the Canada basketball team all those years.

As frustrating it is watching some of his lineup decisions, he's just doing what is going to prolong his employment status as a head coach. You can't blame him for that. I hate that Reggie Evans is playing so much but that wouldn't be an issue if the GM simply bought him out and Triano would have no other option that to play guys like Davis and Dorsey. He's just doing the bidding of Colangelo because otherwise, you can be like Sam Mitchell where one bad loss and not playing the franchise golden boy will get you canned.

I like Triano too, and while I don't agree with all of his decisions on the court, I can't help but feel he's got a bit of a raw deal in terms of situation since he's been coach:

Year 1: Taking over a team mid-season, attempting to change systems
Year 2: Being handed the Ghost of Hedo Turkoglu from the GM, then having to deal with Bosh with kid gloves in a contract year and then Bosh checking out mentally after the ASG.
Year 3: Self-explanatory

I just don't see how anyone is set up to succeed in any of those circumstances. You'd like a coach to be able to handle of those situations with aplomb, but realistically its not easy. I don't think he's the best coach in the world, but I also don't think he's been placed in any sort of position to succeed. I honestly don't know what that means in terms of an extension or firing.

Agree with the handling of Bargnani... wile I think he could be harder on the guy and sit him, I just don't think that Bargnani cares. He just doesn't seem to have that internal motor or desire and I think he'd just handle a benching the same way he handles help defense: with relative indifference.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:53 AM   #4
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

keantona has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
Agree with the handling of Bargnani... wile I think he could be harder on the guy and sit him, I just don't think that Bargnani cares. He just doesn't seem to have that internal motor or desire and I think he'd just handle a benching the same way he handles help defense: with relative indifference.

I remember that when he was drafted the organisation was making a fuss of psychological testing that showed that Bargnani was remarkably consistent, feeling and performing the same in any situation. They took that to mean that he was cool under pressure, that he'd have ice-water in his veins in crunch time. What it actually seems to have indicated is that no matter what the situation, no matter how important a moment, Bargnani just doesn't give a shit. I think Triano should have been fired long ago, but with Bargnani all he and Mitchell have done is try to motivate the unmotivatable.
keantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #5
Beebo
****ing Rudy Gay man

Beebo has decent reputationBeebo has decent reputation

That was a great piece. Didn't know Terry Fox and Triano were friends
Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo
That was a great piece. Didn't know Terry Fox and Triano were friends

Imagine Terry Fox asked you for YOUR autograph? Yikes. Triano WAS a helluva basketball player.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

I was almost in tears watching that piece on Fox. He is truly one of the most underrated Canadian heroes of all time.

I have worked in addictions counseling and working in the streets with IV drug users, sex workers, homeless people etc.. and I never found the work rewarding because it always felt like these individuals were harming themselves in a way. And I know it's wrong but it would make me angry.

That is why I'm going back to work in oncology and palliative care to help people dying of cancer. I haven't really been affected by cancer on a personal level, and I am extremely grateful for that. But people like Terry Fox truly inspire me to live life to the fullest, because that god damned disease can consume you at any moment..

Let us all remember the courage and strength of Terry Fox and what a great human being and Canadian he was.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #8
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
I was almost in tears watching that piece on Fox. He is truly one of the most underrated Canadian heroes of all time.

I have worked in addictions counseling and working in the streets with IV drug users, sex workers, homeless people etc.. and I never found the work rewarding because it always felt like these individuals were harming themselves in a way. And I know it's wrong but it would make me angry.

That is why I'm going back to work in oncology and palliative care to help people dying of cancer. I haven't really been affected by cancer on a personal level, and I am extremely grateful for that. But people like Terry Fox truly inspire me to live life to the fullest, because that god damned disease can consume you at any moment..

Let us all remember the courage and strength of Terry Fox and what a great human being and Canadian he was.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:43 AM   #9
Beebo
****ing Rudy Gay man

Beebo has decent reputationBeebo has decent reputation

I highly recommend you guys watch "Into the Wind", an ESPN 30 for 30 special about Terry Fox. I believe it was directed by Steve Nash.

Heres the trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukNlGrlE9TM
Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:35 AM   #10
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

RT why you gotta go and remind me that there's a cool human being behind the coach who I think is over his head and should be demoted back to assistant?

I'm a simple man who prefers to live in a simple world where unsuccessful coaches of my teams have no redeeming qualities. Thanks for ruining that.

On a serious note major standing O for Toni's comment. Good luck with your studies.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #11
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:

what do you do for a living?
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:43 PM   #12
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bada bing
what do you do for a living?

Registered nurse. Going for Nurse Practitioner. Taking the slow route to become a physician like you bada bing.

Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:35 AM   #13
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Registered nurse. Going for Nurse Practitioner. Taking the slow route to become a physician like you bada bing.

when i was in miami i worked with a few nurse practitioners/Physician assistants during my family medicine rotation. Definitely learned a lot more from them then my attendee. Ever looked into a PA? not sure if they have PA's up there in canada but here in teh states its becoming very popular.

in regards to you mentioning about heme/onc as a specialty, its a tough one. Not because of the workload but because of what you get to see everyday. Thats one reason why i just dont see myself get into that sub-specialty. After a while its gonna take a toll on your mental health.

Nephro or cardio is it for me.....will find out next year where I match....fingers crossed!!
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: