Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 04-13-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Would you rather have Chris Paul or Dwight Howard?

Lettuce be reality, it's unlikely the cats could land either of these guys. But since both players have jokingly hinted at the possibility of playing in Charlotte, it's an interesting exercise.

As great as Chris Paul is I'd rather have Dwight Howard. Here's why:

1. Howard is unstoppable inside. His presence opens up so many more offensive opportunities for a team that struggles to score. Imagine the 15 ft. jumper off the screen that Hendo has perfected this season. We run that play a few times and the opponent will send another player to help. Gerald then makes a quick pass to Howard, thunder dunk and one.

2. We'd be one of the biggest, most athletic and best defensive team in the East. A starting lineup of DJ, Hendo, Jack, TT and Howard with Kwame and Diop coming off the bench would be a guarding nightmare for opposing teams. How many blocks/game do you think we would average?

3. Chris Paul hasn't exactly been the picture of health of late. Although he has superior skills he hasn't been as durable as say Raymond Felton.

4. As important as PG is in the league, teams win without having a stud at that position. See Lakers, L.A.

What do you guys think?
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Would you rather have Chris Paul or Dwight Howard?

The only thing keeping this close for me is Paul's health concerns.

To me Chris Paul has been the best point guard in the league these past seasons. I guess he has been outplayed by Rose this season, but Chris Paul looking that great in a league that has no shortage of other great point guards reassures me of his value. This is a great player who with his great basketball IQ should be able to lead a franchise for another decade at least, barring health issues.

Dwight Howard looks like a man amongst boys out there, but we can all agree that these past years have been an exceptionally weak era for centers in the NBA. If these next couple of years a few real center prospects pop up, Howard might not look like the real deal anymore.

And Dwight Howard is a short center, pair that with his not all that refined basketball skills and you have a player who probably isn't going to age very well. Not saying that he'll be useless, but I do feel he will develop into a lesser star/role player relatively early in his career.

But hey, I'll take either in a hart beat. Trade any three players on the team.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

^^good points
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

I'd rather have Dwight Howard - easily, though I wouldn't complain if CP signed with us.

Here's why. Positions 1-4 are dime a dozen in this league. I mean, just in the few years we've been a franchise, look at the list of good players we've had that can play solid ball.

PG: Boykins, Felton, Augustin, and Keith Bogans (who is playing solid ball right now for I think Chicago), Brevin Knight, Eddie House
SG: SJAX, Raja Bell, Shannon Brown, Larry Hughes, Hendo, JRich
SF/PF: Wallace, Jared Dudley, Diaw, Herrmann, Juwon Howard, Najera, Vlad Rad, TT
C: Chandler, Nazr, Okafor

Look at how small the list of centers are compared to the other solid players we've had. Give me Dwight Howard with anyone from that list of other players and we're easily 10-12 better than we are now, if not more.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #5
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
I'd rather have Dwight Howard - easily, though I wouldn't complain if CP signed with us.

Here's why. Positions 1-4 are dime a dozen in this league. I mean, just in the few years we've been a franchise, look at the list of good players we've had that can play solid ball.

PG: Boykins, Felton, Augustin, and Keith Bogans (who is playing solid ball right now for I think Chicago), Brevin Knight, Eddie House
SG: SJAX, Raja Bell, Shannon Brown, Larry Hughes, Hendo, JRich
SF/PF: Wallace, Jared Dudley, Diaw, Herrmann, Juwon Howard, Najera, Vlad Rad, TT
C: Chandler, Nazr, Okafor

Look at how small the list of centers are compared to the other solid players we've had. Give me Dwight Howard with anyone from that list of other players and we're easily 10-12 better than we are now, if not more.

Did you seriously put those players under "good players"?

Players worse than current Kwame Brown that you list under good players: Dudley, Herrmann, ancient Juwan Howard, Najera, Radmanovic, Shannon Brown, Larry Hughes, Eddie House, Bogans, Boykins, Raja Bell.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #6
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

You're out of your mind if you think those guys are worse than Kwame. My point was (I thought) pretty simple: give me someone from each position out of that list and we're instantly 10 wins better than we are now.

I was talking about the importance of big men in this league. If he had Howard during any of our first few years, regardless of what other players we had, we would've been great.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:15 AM   #7
Quizno
Biyombo Smash!!

Quizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation here

wait, when did they hint about the possibility of signing with charlotte? do you have a link? it's not that i don't believe you, i just wanna see it

and i'd take howard, mostly because the upgrade from kwame to dwight howard is infinitely better than the upgrade from DJ to cp3
Quizno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:35 AM   #8
acidbasesalt
Coward Saviour

acidbasesalt has decent reputationacidbasesalt has decent reputation

Would you rather have Desagana Diop or Matt Carroll?

Don't say neither because we have both.
acidbasesalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #9
DJmicah
Road to Greatness

DJmicah has decent reputationDJmicah has decent reputation

Cp3, because he can attract more Good Players, Dwight Really hasent Done That And His Teams Have Gone Nowhere The Past Few Years(If Garnett was Healthy In 09 They Would've Been Stomped) Anyways, People Want To Play With an Exciting Guard,they expect dwight to be attracted to them, dwight doesnt get free agents to come,CP3 Does, Plus its been hard enough for orlando to build around dwight, I doubt we could do it
DJmicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:20 PM   #10
liverpooty
Local High School Star

liverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected poster

I am completely baffled as to how anyone can choose Paul over Howard. I would LOVE to have either, but like Timmeh said there are alot of elite PGs and wing players in the league now with only ONE dominant center. To the guy who said Howard is a short center just how tall do you want your centers? He's almost a 7 footer with close to a 40 inch vertical. Sheesh. Paul is also very injury prone, and although he is still a fantastic PG he lost some of his explosiveness to the basket with his last knee surgery.
liverpooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #11
liverpooty
Local High School Star

liverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected poster

Timmeh. I can't really see how some of those players you listed are good when half of them are riding the bench somewhere or completely out of the league altogether.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:19 PM   #12
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

You guys are missing the point.

Let me be clear about this, so if you still don't get it from this point, you obviously have some sort of learning disability:

Compared to Chris Paul, having Howard on your team makes you much, much better than without. The players I listed are those who have played on our team before. Take any of them and put Howard at center, you have a great team, one comparable to the one he has in Orlando. KEEP IN MIND THIS IS AT ANY POINT SINCE HE WAS DRAFTED.

Any random order:

PG: Felton
SG: Richardson (who coincidentally is with Howard in Orlando right now)
SF: Wallace
PF: Vladimir Radmanovic
C: Dwight Howard

How about another example?

PG: DJ Augustin
SG: Stephen Jackson
SF: Gerald Wallace
PF: Tyrus Thomas

Need another?

PG: Eddie House
SG: Shannon Brown
PF: Boris Diaw

Ok, that team is as athletic as hell, so maybe it struggles with offense, but see my point? Put Howard with any random order of players we've ever had and you can't tell me you'd rather not have that team over what we've got now.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:25 AM   #13
liverpooty
Local High School Star

None of those teams are "great". I define a great team as a team that can win 55-60 games and atleast go to the conference finals. Only team that has even a chance of doing that would be jack,Wallace,tt,augustin with howard. Trying to say a team with house and brown starting at all being a great team was pretty humorous. You really shouldn't get all in a hissy fit because someone disagrees with you. It'll be alright. And nah im fairly certain I don't have a learning disability. :)
Old 04-15-2011, 03:05 AM   #14
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
You guys are missing the point.

Let me be clear about this, so if you still don't get it from this point, you obviously have some sort of learning disability:

Compared to Chris Paul, having Howard on your team makes you much, much better than without. The players I listed are those who have played on our team before. Take any of them and put Howard at center, you have a great team, one comparable to the one he has in Orlando. KEEP IN MIND THIS IS AT ANY POINT SINCE HE WAS DRAFTED.

Any random order:

PG: Felton
SG: Richardson (who coincidentally is with Howard in Orlando right now)
SF: Wallace
PF: Vladimir Radmanovic

How about another example?

PG: DJ Augustin
SG: Stephen Jackson
PF: Tyrus Thomas

Need another?

PG: Eddie House
SG: Shannon Brown
PF: Boris Diaw

Ok, that team is as athletic as hell, so maybe it struggles with offense, but see my point? Put Howard with any random order of players we've ever had and you can't tell me you'd rather not have that team over what we've got now.

The first two teams you listed have a top two player from our team at every position except for Radmanovic. Yes, those were the good players, I was more talking about the other players on those lists. The second one is more like it; Shannon Brown and Eddie House were both huge scrubs when they played for Charlotte.

Are you telling me

Keith Bogans (10ppg 38%, 3 apg)
Larry Hughes (8ppg 32%)
Jared Dudley (6ppg, 4rpg)
Vladimir Radmanovic (8ppg 40%, 3pg)
Dwight Howard

Is a 44 win ball team? And I'm the one who is out of my mind huh?
Old 04-15-2011, 05:13 AM   #15
acidbasesalt
Coward Saviour

acidbasesalt has decent reputationacidbasesalt has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
The first two teams you listed have a top two player from our team at every position except for Radmanovic. Yes, those were the good players, I was more talking about the other players on those lists. The second one is more like it; Shannon Brown and Eddie House were both huge scrubs when they played for Charlotte.

Are you telling me

Keith Bogans (10ppg 38%, 3 apg)
Larry Hughes (8ppg 32%)
Jared Dudley (6ppg, 4rpg)
Vladimir Radmanovic (8ppg 40%, 3pg)
Dwight Howard

Is a 44 win ball team? And I'm the one who is out of my mind huh?

It really depends on the strength of the division you're in.

For example, the Raptors won 47 games in 06-07, with a roster I think is just as weak as ours today. They had a bunch of Euro no defense players. Jose Calderon, Bargnani, Garbajosa. and Anthony Parker. Sam Mitchell won coach of the year. Next season he was fired just like LB.
acidbasesalt is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: