Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
Grinder
.
 
Grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,507
Default 2011 Jordan Brand Classic review recap

Some observations from the Jordan Brand Classic:

- Austin Rivers - same stuff I've seen from him several times already. A prolific scorer, great elevation on his jumper, deadly from behind the arc, crafty finishes at the rim. Average defender, slight frame for an NBA 2, makes some good passes; probably projects more as a combo guard in the NBA.

- Kentavious Caldwell-Pope - a threat in transition, good athleticism and size for a wing player. Should fill in nicely for Travis Leslie.

- Dom Pointer - a big strong body that plays with a lot of intensity, apparent even in the all star game setting. Looks like he can be a tough defender and solid slasher. A good fit at St. Johns.

- Brad Beal - I think he'll be better than Austin Rivers in the pros. An athletic 6'5" combo guard that is the complete offensive package. Can shoot the lights out, slash, make the right pass, has a strong frame and is a good defender. Look out for this guy at Florida.

- Marquis Teague - should continue the line of great Calipari PGs. Reminds me of his brother Jeff Teague when he was in Wake Forest but with a better J.

- Khem Birch - super athletic and active around the rim, looks pretty raw offensively.

- James McAdoo - extremely athletic and very skilled for a combo forward. Can take it int the post, has great court vision, and can shoot it. Probably not a one and done simply due to Barnes, Zeller, and Henson playing a lot of minutes.

- Anthony Davis - extremely long and athletic as well as active around the rim. Runs the floor excellently well and shows really solid guard skills for a guy his size. Has a weak frame but should contribute from day 1 at Kentucky.

- Myck Kabongo - seen him play a few times and not much has changed. Extremely fast, like Darren Collison fast, but tends to be out of control at times. He's a streaky shooter but shows great court vision. Wouldn't be surprised to see him be a 1 and done.

- Michael Gilchrist - when it's all sad and done, he'll be the best player in this class. Elite defender with legit NBA size for the 3 spot. Can score when he needs to and does pretty much every thing well on court. Capable of playing the point forward when needed. A special player.

- Kyle Wiltjer - reminds me of a taller Kyle Singler but more a true 4. Has good ball skills for a 6'10" guy but needs to play in the post more.

- Tony Wroten - another special player. A 6'4" PG with John Wall-like court vision. Makes excellent passes and has great speed to boot. Always seems to make the right decision in transition. A great get for Lorenzo Romar in Washington.


My top 5 prospects:
1. Michael Gilchrist
2. Tony Wroten
3. Quincy Miller
4. Brad Beal
5. Anthony Davis
Honorable mention: Austin Rivers
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
ukfan22
High school junior varsity star
 
ukfan22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 603
Default Re: Jordan Brand Classic

Wroten has really impressed me in the Nike Hoop Summit and the Jordan game. He was practically begging Cal to recruit him, kind of wish we had. We got Teague though, so it's fine.

Another guy who has really impressed me is Johnny O'Bryant. I don't know why, but I was thinking of him as just a big body who could dunk and block shots, but he's got a great post and face up game. Don't know why he went to a trainwreck of a program like LSU, but whatever, I'm happy to have more talent in the SEC.

I love all our guys, the only thing I am worried about is Teague and Gilchrist's free throws, lol.
ukfan22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
Goliath Uterus
Y.G.R.N
 
Goliath Uterus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,422
Default Re: Jordan Brand Classic

Anthony Davis is amazing... I think he's be the best player in this class. Once he hits the weight room, and continues to get used to his size, he'll be scary.
Goliath Uterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year
 
Thorpesaurous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,568
Default Re: Jordan Brand Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath Uterus
Anthony Davis is amazing... I think he's be the best player in this class. Once he hits the weight room, and continues to get used to his size, he'll be scary.


I've been really into Davis too.

Macadoo and Beal too. But I agree with Grinder that Gilchrist is the best talent in the class.

I've been sort of underwhelmed by Rivers based on the reviews I'd read. He's got some volume shooter issues in him from what I've seen. I remember thinking the same watching one of his high school games. He's got an issue in that he was by far the best player on his HS team since he didn't go to a factory, so he had a bit too much of a green light as far as I'm concerned.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
KG215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 20,519
Default Re: Jordan Brand Classic

I'm going to show my UNC bias, but James McAdoo gets co-MVP of the McDonald's AA game and the Jordan Brand Classic, and he's not in your top five? I don't necessarily disagree with your top five, because I've been impressed with those guys at some point as well, but what I've seen from McAdoo in two of the three games has me very excited about his immediate impact at UNC. The only problem might be him getting on the court since UNC will have Henson and Zeller both getting 30+ minutes per game.

The one player that has impressed me more than any other, though, due to him sort of coming from nowhere is Beal. I wouldn't call him the best player in the class, but I had no idea he was this damn good.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year
 
Thorpesaurous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,568
Default Re: Jordan Brand Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
I'm going to show my UNC bias, but James McAdoo gets co-MVP of the McDonald's AA game and the Jordan Brand Classic, and he's not in your top five? I don't necessarily disagree with your top five, because I've been impressed with those guys at some point as well, but what I've seen from McAdoo in two of the three games has me very excited about his immediate impact at UNC. The only problem might be him getting on the court since UNC will have Henson and Zeller both getting 30+ minutes per game.

The one player that has impressed me more than any other, though, due to him sort of coming from nowhere is Beal. I wouldn't call him the best player in the class, but I had no idea he was this damn good.


I remember seeing Beal play this summer in an AAU game that ESPN aired agains Austin Rivers, and coming out of that feeling like I'd rather have him than Rivers. But I didn't want to make a big deal out of it seeing as it was really the first time I'd seen any extanded gameplay from either one of them, but now having seen more of both, I feel like my gut reaction was a good one.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #7
Jxgator33
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
Jxgator33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 22
Default Re: Jordan Brand Classic

As a Florida fan, I am EXTREMELY happy with what I've seen from Beal. Very polished game that is as NBA ready as any player in this class. I see (like everyone else does) Ray Allen in his game
Jxgator33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
Grinder
.
 
Grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,507
Default Re: Jordan Brand Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukfan22
Wroten has really impressed me in the Nike Hoop Summit and the Jordan game. He was practically begging Cal to recruit him, kind of wish we had. We got Teague though, so it's fine.

Another guy who has really impressed me is Johnny O'Bryant. I don't know why, but I was thinking of him as just a big body who could dunk and block shots, but he's got a great post and face up game. Don't know why he went to a trainwreck of a program like LSU, but whatever, I'm happy to have more talent in the SEC.

I love all our guys, the only thing I am worried about is Teague and Gilchrist's free throws, lol.

Any idea why Cal didn't offer Wroten a scholarship?

I'm curious to see how Kentucky's rotation will look next year. I'm guessing:
Teague/Lamb
Lamb/Liggins
Gilchrist/Liggins
Miller/Davis
Davis/Wiltjer


I forgot to mention Johnny O'Bryant. He's really improved his skill level since the last I saw of him. He doesn't have star potential, but there's always room in the NBA for active, big 6'10" guys that hustle and can hit the mid range J.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #9
Grinder
.
 
Grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,507
Default Re: Jordan Brand Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I've been really into Davis too.

Macadoo and Beal too. But I agree with Grinder that Gilchrist is the best talent in the class.

I've been sort of underwhelmed by Rivers based on the reviews I'd read. He's got some volume shooter issues in him from what I've seen. I remember thinking the same watching one of his high school games. He's got an issue in that he was by far the best player on his HS team since he didn't go to a factory, so he had a bit too much of a green light as far as I'm concerned.

Rivers can fall in love with the long J too much, but what's impressed me most is that no matter what level he's competed at, be it the U-18 championships, McDonald's All American Game, Jordan Brand Classic, Nike Hoops Summit, high school ball, AAU, etc.; he's been able to fill it up and most of the time lead his team to a victory.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:45 PM   #10
Grinder
.
 
Grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,507
Default Re: Jordan Brand Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
I'm going to show my UNC bias, but James McAdoo gets co-MVP of the McDonald's AA game and the Jordan Brand Classic, and he's not in your top five? I don't necessarily disagree with your top five, because I've been impressed with those guys at some point as well, but what I've seen from McAdoo in two of the three games has me very excited about his immediate impact at UNC. The only problem might be him getting on the court since UNC will have Henson and Zeller both getting 30+ minutes per game.

The one player that has impressed me more than any other, though, due to him sort of coming from nowhere is Beal. I wouldn't call him the best player in the class, but I had no idea he was this damn good.

Not including McAdoo isn't a knock on him, but a testament to how deep this class is. I think it could rival the '08 draft class in terms of depth.

I like his skill set but I'm always wary of tweener type forwards. I think Quincy Miller is probably the better prospect based on what I've seen.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:58 PM   #11
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
KG215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 20,519
Default Re: Jordan Brand Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder
Not including McAdoo isn't a knock on him, but a testament to how deep this class is. I think it could rival the '08 draft class in terms of depth.

I like his skill set but I'm always wary of tweener type forwards. I think Quincy Miller is probably the better prospect based on what I've seen.

Well, I'm not basing it off of NBA potential. I'm not sure if you are but it sounds like it. Which is fine. However, McAdoo has beasted in two of the three all-star games to the extent where he was named co-MVP with Beal and then Davis. From what I've seen (regardless of him beeing a tweener forward) he's a man. If he was going to a school without the frontcourt starters of UNC, I think it's very possible he would have a HUGE freshman impact. Moreso than just about anyone in this class will have at their school. However, he's going to a school that will have the best frontcourt in the nation next year, so minutes will be hard to come by, and my thoughts on his impact as a freshman is nothing but speculation.

Now, I know McAdoo is a tweener, which could hurt him by the time he declares for the NBA. His biggest weakness is not having a very polished or sound back to the basket game. But, he's a stretch 4 at this point with very good athleticism. He has the size, ability, athleticism, and tools to be an absolute beast in college. Of course so do the guys in your top six, which, like you said, means the depth of this class is off the charts. I'd just have a very hard time leaving McAdoo out of my top 5 or 6 at this point based on the all-star games.

Last edited by KG215 : 04-17-2011 at 11:02 PM.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:01 PM   #12
chips93
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2011 Jordan Brand Classic review recap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder

- Tony Wroten - another special player. A 6'4" PG with John Wall-like court vision. Makes excellent passes and has great speed to boot. Always seems to make the right decision in transition. A great get for Lorenzo Romar in Washington.


My top 5 prospects:
1. Michael Gilchrist
2. Tony Wroten
3. Quincy Miller
4. Brad Beal
5. Anthony Davis
Honorable mention: Austin Rivers

wroten seems like a polarising player to me. some places like draft express(who i really respect) are pretty down on him. ive heard some people say hes a great athlete, others say hes an average one. in your opinion what level of athleticism does he have? and what position will he play? and also has he really improved a lot since he received all that hype back in 08(i read a draft express eval from august 08 saying hes a future nba star) and what has happened since then for his stock to drop so much?

sorry if its too many questions, you just seems like you know this kinda stuff
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:02 PM   #13
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star
 
IGOTGAME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,692
Default Re: 2011 Jordan Brand Classic review recap

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips93
wroten seems like a polarising player to me. some places like draft express(who i really respect) are pretty down on him. ive heard some people say hes a great athlete, others say hes an average one. in your opinion what level of athleticism does he have? and what position will he play? and also has he really improved a lot since he received all that hype back in 08(i read a draft express eval from august 08 saying hes a future nba star) and what has happened since then for his stock to drop so much?

sorry if its too many questions, you just seems like you know this kinda stuff

injury and questions about his mentality towards the game.

Last edited by IGOTGAME : 04-17-2011 at 11:07 PM.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:07 AM   #14
Dr. Hoopenstein
Rise Above The Comp
 
Dr. Hoopenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 203
Default Re: 2011 Jordan Brand Classic review recap

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips93
wroten seems like a polarising player to me. some places like draft express(who i really respect) are pretty down on him. ive heard some people say hes a great athlete, others say hes an average one. in your opinion what level of athleticism does he have? and what position will he play? and also has he really improved a lot since he received all that hype back in 08(i read a draft express eval from august 08 saying hes a future nba star) and what has happened since then for his stock to drop so much?

sorry if its too many questions, you just seems like you know this kinda stuff
Tony Wroten Jr tore his ACL playing hs football at the start of his junior year and ever since then scouts/ranking services have not been giving him the benefit of the doubt but the proof is in the pudding as Tony Wroten aka GPS (due to his locating of teammates with deft passes) is back at an elite basketball level and is the best passer in this class bar none.

As well Wroten is a top level athlete (was a very good football player WR/S & is currently running track for his hs) that plays very solid defense- was called Team USA's best on ball defender by coaches.

All the reports about his attitude are hyped up as TW is a good all around kid who has his priorities in order- G-D, family, school & basketball in said order. Tone is a gym rat.

AGaddy, TRoss & TWroten- 3 The Hard Way, will give the Huskies as good a 3 starting guard rotation (all 3 will most likely start) as there is in the Nation.

To me Tony is a better pg than MKabongo (who is very solid) & is most definitely a top 5 player in this 2011 hs class- currently.
Dr. Hoopenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:25 AM   #15
Goliath Uterus
Y.G.R.N
 
Goliath Uterus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,422
Default Re: 2011 Jordan Brand Classic review recap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Hoopenstein
Tony Wroten Jr tore his ACL playing hs football at the start of his junior year and ever since then scouts/ranking services have not been giving him the benefit of the doubt but the proof is in the pudding as Tony Wroten aka GPS (due to his locating of teammates with deft passes) is back at an elite basketball level and is the best passer in this class bar none.

As well Wroten is a top level athlete (was a very good football player WR/S & is currently running track for his hs) that plays very solid defense- was called Team USA's best on ball defender by coaches.

All the reports about his attitude are hyped up as TW is a good all around kid who has his priorities in order- G-D, family, school & basketball in said order. Tone is a gym rat.

AGaddy, TRoss & TWroten- 3 The Hard Way, will give the Huskies as good a 3 starting guard rotation (all 3 will most likely start) as there is in the Nation.

To me Tony is a better pg than MKabongo (who is very solid) & is most definitely a top 5 player in this 2011 hs class- currently.

I disagree, I could name more than 5 players that are better than Wroten
Goliath Uterus is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:00 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy