Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 05-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Default "If Carson retires, we'll go with Andy Dalton. We're not trading him."

Quote:
NFL Network’s Albert Breer caught up to Brown and was wondering if his position had changed about trading Carson Palmer with the team drafting Andy Dalton in the second round. In a nutshell — nope.

Said Brown to Breer: “We don’t plan to trade Carson. He’s important to us. He’s a very fine player, and we do want him to come back. If he chooses not to, he’d retire. And we would go with Andy Dalton.”

Sound familiar (except for the Dalton part)? Here are two other Mike Brown soundbites from the past couple months on Palmer:

Brown on Jan. 24 in Mobile, Ala.: “He is key to our plans, he’s central to us. He was told that and that we count on him going forward. He was told that we are not in a position to trade him.”

Brown on March 21 at the League Meetings in New Orleans: “I want him back and I will just leave it at that. I haven’t talked to any other team about him and I have no plans to trade him.”
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/...arding-palmer/

Sorry for another new thread on the topic but f*ck it. I don't think the guy is bullshitting about the whole situation. Flat out said they'd go with the rookie.
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Default Re: "If Carson retires, we'll go with Andy Dalton. We're not trading him."

reason no 908490 why this lockout sucks. This whole saga continues to hang over the franchise, kinda like the nonstop rain cloud that has dampened the midwest all Spring.

Really, what it boils down to as it pertains to Mike Brown is, if Palmer retires, he nets extra money from Palmer's forfeited salary. Brown is all about the dollars and cents.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Default Re: "If Carson retires, we'll go with Andy Dalton. We're not trading him."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
reason no 908490 why this lockout sucks. This whole saga continues to hang over the franchise, kinda like the nonstop rain cloud that has dampened the midwest all Spring.

Really, what it boils down to as it pertains to Mike Brown is, if Palmer retires, he nets extra money from Palmer's forfeited salary. Brown is all about the dollars and cents.
Has Carson ever been hit with the "If he really does retire, he must not love the game"?
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #4
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateProperty
Has Carson ever been hit with the "If he really does retire, he must not love the game"?

There's some of that, but my sense of the whole thing, from reading the Cincinnati Enquirer/team message board/podcasts, etc is that people vocal against Palmer are in the minority. There is more anger towards the organization.

I think where people feel upset is him mentioning how much money he has in the bank.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
Mr. I'm So Rad
Banned

And our football franchise will continue to suck
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
1manfastbreak
still hyphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
And our football franchise will continue to suck

this. why don't they just trade him? are they trying to make a point or something by not trading him?
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
Mr. I'm So Rad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1manfastbreak
this. why don't they just trade him? are they trying to make a point or something by not trading him?

Well I heard that when teams got wind of this whole ordeal they contacted the Bengals and told them they did not want Carson and who could blame them? He has a big contract, has questionable motivation and is coming off of one of his worst seasons. This isn't Palmer of '05 we're talking about
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
Legend of Josh
Deity ★ Persona

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1manfastbreak

It's just like mlh1981 stated - it's more about the $$$ than winning when we're talking about Mike Brown. I'm sure his father must be very proud.

I'm really curious as to what Carson will end up doing. Will he really pull the plug on his career and walk away? That would be unprecedented in professional sports to walk away from that much money.

Didn't Shawn Kemp do something similar towards the end of his career with Portland?

You're right though MLH, lock-out combined with all this garbage in Cincinnati, going to really suck this fall/winter.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh

I'm really curious as to what Carson will end up doing. Will he really pull the plug on his career and walk away? That would be unprecedented in professional sports to walk away from that much money.

Barry Sanders, Jake Plummer, Tiki Barber, Pat Tillman...

Last edited by kentatm : 05-31-2011 at 04:21 PM.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #10
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
Barry Sanders, Jake Plummer, Tiki Barber, Pat Tillman...

How much money did they leave on the table?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: