Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-06-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
Legend of Josh
Banned

Default Thinking ahead - future NBA Finals (5-7 years).

'The Decision' while controversial, was a championship blueprint unlike anything the league had witnessed in a longwhile if not ever. The question wasn't would it happen, but when it would happen. Miami's raw talent was enough to win 60+ games in the regular season, but in a best of seven where the strategy is more like chess than checkers, all the talent in the world can't guarantee you victory.

Miami is coming together and gelling at what seems to be a godsend. They're playing like cohesive unit that's been at it for years. I personally thought the Heat would land somewhere in the 4th or 3rd seed, perhaps losing or pushed to seven games in the first round, then falling apart in the second disappointed and going home. Realistically, not too bad year one of 'The Decision.'

Thinking of the likelihood of Miami being a # 1 or 2 seed going forward in the next several years to come, who in the East is poised or positioned to propose any real challenge to the Heat. Rose and Chicago come to mind, but it would take Rose playing MVP caliber each and every game of a best of seven, whereas, LeBron can slip up a time or two and still win the series. It may seem laughable, but IMO the Knicks are one or two pieces away from being a contender if given time to gel (it's still going to take some time for Melo & Amare to coincide).

Shifting to the West - as long as Dirk can play at his current phenomenal level, with the right supporting cast they have a shot to make a Finals appearance. Kidd isn't getting any younger and JJ as exciting as he is to watch, isn't starter material (not for an elite team). If OKC can somehow keep Durant, Westbrook and Haslem in Thunder uniforms, they could have the potential to be the next powerhouse (not dynasty) in the West. With the likes of Lakers and Spurs on the decline (not to mention Dallas' window closing) who could realistically keep up with those three guys and one of the league's most underrated coaches?

Last and final note switching back to the East - next season or two at best will be this current Boston's opportunity to build on the franchise's titles. When the C's first stunned the sports world with their announcement of the big three, everyone was saying/thinking/expecting title(s). They delivered just that. Miami is following in their footsteps and it smells like a similar recipe. The obvious difference of each franchise's respective big three title recipe is the ages of the all-stars/superstars coming together. Boston had the opportunity to win a title or two; Miami has an opportunity to triple the ultimate outcome.

I'm just somewhat surprised Miami is already in the Finals, playing this well together this early.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:17 AM   #2
Bogus_Sting
Old School Cool

Default Re: Thinking ahead - future NBA Finals (5-7 years).

WHAT IF...... Dwight goes to Dallas......
Bogus_Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:17 AM   #3
SebasMiamiFan
Dolphins,Heat,Marlins

Well after a miserable 5 years, we were waiting to get Wade some help. When LBJ and Bosh got here, all the real fans knew that Wade finally got the help he needs to win in the playoffs. LBJ is a regular season MVP, but Wade is a Finals MVP. He's just a monster in the playoffs. That's why were excited. Wade took crappy teams to the playoffs.
SebasMiamiFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:32 AM   #4
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebasMiamiFan
Well after a miserable 5 years, we were waiting to get Wade some help. When LBJ and Bosh got here, all the real fans knew that Wade finally got the help he needs to win in the playoffs. LBJ is a regular season MVP, but Wade is a Finals MVP. He's just a monster in the playoffs. That's why were excited. Wade took crappy teams to the playoffs.

I think it also goes without saying LeBron took crappy teams to the playoffs. He even took Cleveland to the Finals against the Spurs one year. I think the most notable improvement in LeBrons game this season is his ability to dominate all four quarters and not just the first three. He's still no clutch Kobe, and honestly, probably never will be. Even the greatest player in the league cant be the greatest at all facets of the game.

How many titles do you expect the Heat to win in say the next 5 years, barring no major injuries (Wade)?
Old 06-06-2011, 12:39 AM   #5
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogus_Sting

What if Dwight goes to the Lakers? What if Dwight stays in Orlando and is teamed with CP3 who relocates to Disney World instead of D.How getting season passes to Disney Land?

All this is moot anyway - rumors point to Dwight and CP3 joining forces in
Charlotte.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:58 AM   #6
SebasMiamiFan
Dolphins,Heat,Marlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
I think it also goes without saying LeBron took crappy teams to the playoffs. He even took Cleveland to the Finals against the Spurs one year. I think the most notable improvement in LeBrons game this season is his ability to dominate all four quarters and not just the first three. He's still no clutch Kobe, and honestly, probably never will be. Even the greatest player in the league cant be the greatest at all facets of the game.

How many titles do you expect the Heat to win in say the next 5 years, barring no major injuries (Wade)?

At least 4.
SebasMiamiFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:08 AM   #7
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebasMiamiFan
At least 4.

At times I wonder if the NBA would be better off playing far fewer games in the regular season - and had a post season format with more 'do or die' series where other franchise had more of a shot at advancing to keep things interesting. Not exactly a carbon copy of the NFL
for example ... but how about first two rounds a single game outcome to the series, conference Finals best of 5, then Finals best of 7.

Radical change, and obviously not happening - just more interesting.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:10 AM   #8
DirkNowitzki41
Monta Have It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogus_Sting

please
DirkNowitzki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:12 AM   #9
LBJWADE
Banned

This is stupid. You cant predict the Finals 5-7 years from now because things change so quickly in the NBA. 5-7 ago no one thought that Bosh,Wade,and Lebron would be on the same team in the Finals. Looking back at history though the Lakers are contenders most of the time and the Spurs find ways to improve their teams. But if it makes you feel better yeah the Heat are gonna dominate the league for 5-7 yrs straight
LBJWADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:57 AM   #10
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJWADE
This is stupid. You cant predict the Finals 5-7 years from now because things change so quickly in the NBA. 5-7 ago no one thought that Bosh,Wade,and Lebron would be on the same team in the Finals. Looking back at history though the Lakers are contenders most of the time and the Spurs find ways to improve their teams. But if it makes you feel better yeah the Heat are gonna dominate the league for 5-7 yrs straight

Why would it make me feel better? Who said I was a fan of the Heat? I'm just trying to have simple NBA discussion, and you're starting off your posts with 'this is stupid' and ending them with insulting emoticons. Does it make you feel better by sitting behind a keyboard and playing internet badass?

LOL, the NBA is one of the most predictable in all of professional sports if not 'the' most predictable. So, where exactly do you get off with your post? I'd love to hear a substantial argument from the peanut gallery you're sitting comfortably from.

Predicting the top four seeds (not order just selections) in the East or West isn't exactly rocket science, whereas 5-8 isn't so much a cakewalk. Are there unpredictable teams, outcomes, etc in the NBA, sure, but there's more of or a predictable element than vise versa barring unpredictable facets such as injuries and such (which I've already pointed out by the way).

Once teams reach the post season and the playoffs begin it's quite simple to wager who's advancing and who isn't with the exception of upsets that can and do happen from time to time. No one expected Dallas to derail the Lakers by sweeping them. No one really expected the Hawks to advance past the Magic, but we've seen stranger things happen.

The NBA however is geared to allow the better team advance. In a best of seven it takes the 'better' team slipping in conjunction with the inferior team heading into the series to play better than expected. Way more often than not before a playoff series even starts there's the whole 'odds' factor where decades of stats strongly solidify an outcome before jump-ball in Game 1.

So, while we're talking about the best player in the league (and it's not even close really) teamed up with another Top 5 in Wade and arguable Top 10, Top 15 unquestionably piece in Bosh - why does it seem so out-of-this-world to simply predict (not saying guarantee, simply predict) the Heat will win titles in the next 5-7 years? LOL, I never even weighed in with how many I personally predict.

I guess this post and the ?'s and opinions is all pointless because an insult or two + cartoonish emoticons rolling their eyes says it all. Total ownage; STFU LOJ. I'm not even in here trying to get down in trenches like a lot of you always pissed off bastards with a chip on your shoulder trying to flex your bball knowledge skills. I was just curious to see varying opinions. I didn't exactly expect shitty zero merit holding responses, but hey guy, whatever helps 'you' feel better or sleep more peacefully at night.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:05 AM   #11
LBJWADE
Banned

Quote:
Why would it make me feel better? Who said I was a fan of the Heat? I'm just trying to have simple NBA discussion, and you're starting off your posts with 'this is stupid' and ending them with insulting emoticons. Does it make you feel better by sitting behind a keyboard and playing internet badass?

LOL, the NBA is one of the most predictable in all of professional sports if not 'the' most predictable. So, where exactly do you get off with your post? I'd love to hear a substantial argument from the peanut gallery you're sitting comfortably from.

Predicting the top four seeds (not order just selections) in the East or West isn't exactly rocket science, whereas 5-8 isn't so much a cakewalk. Are there unpredictable teams, outcomes, etc in the NBA, sure, but there's more of or a predictable element than vise versa barring unpredictable facets such as injuries and such (which I've already pointed out by the way).

Once teams reach the post season and the playoffs begin it's quite simple to wager who's advancing and who isn't with the exception of upsets that can and do happen from time to time. No one expected Dallas to derail the Lakers by sweeping them. No one really expected the Hawks to advance past the Magic, but we've seen stranger things happen.

The NBA however is geared to allow the better team advance. In a best of seven it takes the 'better' team slipping in conjunction with the inferior team heading into the series to play better than expected. Way more often than not before a playoff series even starts there's the whole 'odds' factor where decades of stats strongly solidify an outcome before jump-ball in Game 1.

So, while we're talking about the best player in the league (and it's not even close really) teamed up with another Top 5 in Wade and arguable Top 10, Top 15 unquestionably piece in Bosh - why does it seem so out-of-this-world to simply predict (not saying guarantee, simply predict) the Heat will win titles in the next 5-7 years? LOL, I never even weighed in with how many I personally predict.

I guess this post and the ?'s and opinions is all pointless because an insult or two + cartoonish emoticons rolling their eyes says it all. Total ownage; STFU LOJ. I'm not even in here trying to get down in trenches like a lot of you always pissed off bastards with a chip on your shoulder trying to flex your bball knowledge skills. I was just curious to see varying opinions. I didn't exactly expect shitty zero merit holding responses, but hey guy, whatever helps 'you' feel better or sleep more peacefully at night.

I dont understand how it takes so many words to say nothing at all

Basketball is predictable? Just this last February we saw one of the most exciting trade deadlines in recent years with stars players UNPREDICTABLY changing teams (Dwill and Melo). Just this last summer we saw star players change teams UNPREDICTABLY (Amare,Bosh,and Lebron). Looking ahead to 2012 there are still three players (CP3,Dwill,and Dwight) who have not yet settled with their teams and can seriously change the power shift in the NBA. Just look at the Lakers in 2008 we became contenders overnight by trading for Gasol and caused the whole league to into a frenzy making many big trades at the deadline again. But like I said if it makes you feel better the Heat are gonna be on top for 5-7 years straight. Nothing will change that
Old 06-06-2011, 02:33 AM   #12
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
I dont understand how it takes so many words to say nothing at all

Basketball is predictable? Just this last February we saw one of the most exciting trade deadlines in recent years with stars players UNPREDICTABLY changing teams (Dwill and Melo). Just this last summer we saw star players change teams UNPREDICTABLY (Amare,Bosh,and Lebron). Looking ahead to 2012 there are still three players (CP3,Dwill,and Dwight) who have not yet settled with their teams and can seriously change the power shift in the NBA. Just look at the Lakers in 2008 we became contenders overnight by trading for Gasol and caused the whole league to into a frenzy making many big trades at the deadline again. But like I said if it makes you feel better the Heat are gonna be on top for 5-7 years straight. Nothing will change that

The topic isn't about trade deadlines, but I see where you're going wih that. Those trades will have nothing to do with the likes of a guy named LeBron James though; and as easy as it seems, these Voltron / X-Men teams are not going to be sprouting left and right like your post might have us believe.

There's not going to be any franchise with two Top 5 (and just a season ago James/Kobe/Wade was the unquestionable Top 3 debate) players with the exception of the Miami Heat. Throwing the unpredictable yet highly efficient Bosh in the mix proves those three with a less-than-stellar supporting cast, are very capable of winning multiple titles in a limited time.

I don't see any other teams regardless of who they land in trade or signing capable of forming a dynasty in this LeBron/Wade/Bosh era. Maybe you do; I'd love to hear whom.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:39 AM   #13
LBJWADE
Banned

Quote:
The topic isn't about trade deadlines, but I see where you're going wih that. Those trades will have nothing to do with the likes of a guy named LeBron James though; and as easy as it seems, these Voltron / X-Men teams are not going to be sprouting left and right like your post might have us believe.

There's not going to be any franchise with two Top 5 (and just a season ago James/Kobe/Wade was the unquestionable Top 3 debate) players with the exception of the Miami Heat. Throwing the unpredictable yet highly efficient Bosh in the mix proves those three with a less-than-stellar supporting cast, are very capable of winning multiple titles in a limited time.

I don't see any other teams regardless of who they land in trade or signing capable of forming a dynasty in this LeBron/Wade/Bosh era. Maybe you do; I'd love to hear whom.

The Knicks can get CP3/Melo/Amare
The Lakers can add either Dwill or Howard. Like they added Gasol unpredicatably

etc... To many teams can make too many changes....

My point is anything can happen. In in the NBA unpredictable changes happen all the time
Old 06-06-2011, 06:31 AM   #14
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:

The Knicks can get CP3/Melo/Amare
The Lakers can add either Dwill or Howard. Like they added Gasol unpredicatably

etc... To many teams can make too many changes....

My point is anything can happen. In in the NBA unpredictable changes happen all the time

If the Knicks could somehow land CP3 - holy doo-doo smacks - I could see them actually being right up there with Miami's big three. Chris Paul is just that damn good. IMO, the beat PG in the league in terms of being a real traditional point guard. Rose is more of an offensive juggernaut than a pass first, shoot second floor general. D.Will is the happy medium of both.

Speaking of point guards - the league looks very promising for years to come. I can't remember the last time the NBA
had 5 legit PG superstars. CP3, Rose, D.Wil, Westbrook (a lot like Rose) and John Wall looks promising. These guys have the potential of making role players into possible all-star guys a season or two that would have probably never happened otherwise (especially the likes of CP being your teammate).

So, if the Knicks somehow get CP3, I could easily see them giving the very well balanced Heat fits as they're be quite offensively and defensively balanced themselves. Witnessing the potential of Amare with Nash and Melo with Billups would only hint at what these guys could be capable of with Chris. You're right, this 'super team' would pwn most if the league and possibly challenge Miami.

Outside of this one exception, and perhaps the Lakers getting Howard (D.Will isn't going to be enough to elevate Lakers to Heat level). Let's also keep in mind Mike Brown is in front of the Lakeshow these days, not Phil Jackson. As mentioned before, if OKC can find a way to keep both Durant and Westbrook together, and somehow Westbrook learns to come to the realization it's Durant's team - you could be looking at two superstars (if Westbrook continues to improve as expected) on a single team. Add to this the possibility of up-and-coming early first round selection Harden, and you could have one scary ass team.

You've already used rolleyes, now facepalm, who's up to bat next? LOL
Old 06-06-2011, 07:40 AM   #15
ODEN>DURANT
Local High School Star

What if Oden gets healthy in Portland.
ODEN>DURANT is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: