Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 06-17-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default Pistons like Mike Woodson and Kelvin Sampson as coaching candidates

The Detroit Pistons will interview Kelvin Sampson for their vacant head coaching position at the end of the week, according to a source. Sampson, an assistant coach with the Milwaukee Bucks, was a head coach at Indiana and Oklahoma at the college level. Sampson will meet with Pistons president of basketball operations Joe Dumars, who will be hiring his third coach since June 2008. Detroit News

Sampson, along with former Atlanta Hawks head coach and Pistons assistant Mike Woodson, are thought to be the leading candidates at this stage. With the NBA draft coming next week, there hasn't been a real urgency to hire a head coach beforehand, although one is expected to be in place before July 1, when a lockout is expected to be implemented by the owners. Detroit News
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Nastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Pistons like Mike Woodson and Kelvin Sampson as coaching candidates

Sounds liek Frank might have stolen the show though. I think its going ot be him. Young, can grow with our players, experience, respect around the league, has been working to be a coach since he was a kid,lead assistant on a highly respected team/staff. Was basically the most coveted assistant job last year.

I think they went in favoring Woodson and have been impressed by Sampson and Frank.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
dealer77
I open layup bricks

dealer77 has an OK reputation so far

I hope it's Frank, Woodson, Sampson, in that order. Frank coached with the Celtics and also had several years of HC experience with the Nets. Woodson also had the HC experience with Atlanta, and Sampson's lack of HC experience is what scares me about him. That and his blemished record with recruiting violations, etc.

Frank is young still and I'm sure has benefited from getting his HC experience a couple years ago and being able to take a break (from HEAD coaching) and work as an assistant with Doc Rivers and his staff. He was a solid coach back in the NJ days, and I have a feeling he'll be better now
dealer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #4
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I feel like if any of those three get hired we'll just end up having a new coach in a couple of years anyway. I just wish we could get that guy who fits here. I don't see it happening anytime soon. Joe D is not good at hiring coaches.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #5
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Patrick Ewing took a small step toward becoming a head coach by securing an interview, his first, with the Detroit Pistons. Lawrence Frank and Mike Woodson, both of whom have head coaching experience, are considered the front-runners for the position. Ewing is in a group along with Kelvin Sampson and former Pistons center Bill Laimbeer as candidates looking for their first NBA head coaching job. "Pat is more than ready to be a head coach," the Bulls' Tom Thibodeau said over the telephone Saturday. "I know people only think of Pat as a great player but he has the chance to become a great coach." New York Daily News

Ewing was a name I mentioned in other threads. I really like the fact that they're thinking about hiring him. I think he'd be a good fit.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:04 AM   #6
dealer77
I open layup bricks

dealer77 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
Ewing was a name I mentioned in other threads. I really like the fact that they're thinking about hiring him. I think he'd be a good fit.

I'd say he's #2 after Laimbeer
dealer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: