Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-19-2011, 05:23 AM   #1
TheBluest

Default Wolves Will Pick Irving If He Slips

Via espn Andre Katz

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...ory?id=6676088
Old 06-19-2011, 06:58 AM   #2
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Default Re: Wolves Will Pick Irving If He Slips

Anyone that doesn't see this smokescreen by the Cavs for what it is needs to take a step back and take a look at the whole picture. Kyrie is the No. 1 pick. What happens after that is anyone's guess, but Minnesota has absolutely no chance at him.

I love what Chris Grant (Cavs' GM) is doing by throwing a lot of conflicting information out there, but at the end of the day, I don't believe for a second that there is any real internal debate or difficult decision about who to pick first.

Irving was a Cavalier the moment that the ping-pong balls fell the right way.

Now, No. 4 is a little different. I was thinking it was Kanter for a good while, but recent reports have me believing that Jonas V is actually going to be the pick.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
chips93

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Anyone that doesn't see this smokescreen by the Cavs for what it is needs to take a step back and take a look at the whole picture. Kyrie is the No. 1 pick. What happens after that is anyone's guess, but Minnesota has absolutely no chance at him.

I love what Chris Grant (Cavs' GM) is doing by throwing a lot of conflicting information out there, but at the end of the day, I don't believe for a second that there is any real internal debate or difficult decision about who to pick first.

i dont understand why they would be doing this though, i still believe they'll take irving, but i dont get the point of floating these stories.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
TheBluest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips93
i dont understand why they would be doing this though, i still believe they'll take irving, but i dont get the point of floating these stories.

Looking at the 1rst 5 Picks

Agreed what advantage is there to do this? If Irving is their guy it doesn't change what will happen after they pick him. If he isn't I still don't see much changing. If anything the Cavs are giving the T-Wolves an angle of leverage to create more trade possibilities via rumor

It's either going to be

Cavs=Irving
Sota=D-Will II
Utah=Knight
Cavs=BPA
Wizards=Kanter(if he isn't Cavs BPA)

or

Cavs=D-Will II
Sota=Irving
Utah=Knight
Cavs=BPA
Wizards=Kanter(if he isn't Cavs BPA)

I think the key here is how high is Utah on Jimmer and Kemba because Knight may not be the pick there.

The Cavs could trade Sessions/#1 for Flynn/#2

Last edited by TheBluest : 06-19-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips93
The advantage is that the Cavs DO NOT want the T-Wolves to be able to trade the No. 2 pick to a team that wants to take Williams (or Kanter), because they still believe that -- ultimately -- if Minnesota is unable to make a deal between now and the draft, they may make a deal with Cleveland.

By keeping the No. 1 pick a mystery, it makes teams hesitant to trade for the No. 2 pick, because no team is going to be willing to make a move when they are completely clueless as to who is going to be available.

Cleveland still has the ultimate dream of landing both Irving and Williams via trade. That cannot and will not happen if Minnesota is able to make a deal with a team that wants Williams.

That is why the Cavs are sending out so many smokescreens.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 06-19-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
Sheed
Serious playground baller

Do the wolves need another PG...? Rubio, Ridnour, Flynn, Irving?
Sheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheed
Do the wolves need another PG...? Rubio, Ridnour, Flynn, Irving?

1st three don't have potential to be stars so why not
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluest
I think the key here is how high is Utah on Jimmer and Kemba because Knight may not be the pick there.
Missing out on the opportunity to draft the No. 1 prospect in the draft who is also a big point guard (Irving) only to be left with the choice between two barely 6-foot combo guards is a viable scenario, you think?

Irving is the pick... These are smokescreens.

There were rumors before the lottery took place that, if the Cavs didn't get the No. 1 pick, they would do whatever it took to get to the No. 1 spot in order to take Irving. That is how high the organization and Byron Scott are on this kid. When he measured out at 6-foot-3+ at the combine, that solidified the selection for good.

Irving hasn't even worked out for any other teams. Take a step back and it is pretty obvious what is happening, here. There is great benefit for the Cavs to keep people guessing, but the choice has been made.... It was probably made on the night of the lottery.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #9
TheBluest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Missing out on the opportunity to draft the No. 1 prospect in the draft who is also a big point guard (Irving) only to be left with the choice between two barely 6-foot combo guards is a viable scenario, you think?

Irving is the pick... These are smokescreens.

There were rumors before the lottery took place that, if the Cavs didn't get the No. 1 pick, they would do whatever it took to get to the No. 1 spot in order to take Irving. That is how high the organization and Byron Scott are on this kid. When he measured out at 6-foot-3+ at the combine, that solidified the selection for good.

Irving hasn't even worked out for any other teams. Take a step back and it is pretty obvious what is happening, here. There is great benefit for the Cavs to keep people guessing, but the choice has been made.... It was probably made on the night of the lottery.

I agree with you Irving is their guy I just don't see the advantage to fake the funk.

I think the talk helps Sota develop several scenarios on trades, especially if the Cavs are high on Valanciunas

Sota wants to dump Flynn and possibly another asset.... Cleveland has nothing to offer realistically that gets them Williams from Sota.

Last edited by TheBluest : 06-19-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #10
TheBluest

Via ESPN

Quote:
The Cavaliers, after taking the temperature of the Timberwolves and Jazz to see if Kyrie Irving could somehow fall to No. 4 in Thursday's NBA draft, are planning to select the former Duke guard as the No. 1 pick and are fielding offers for the fourth pick, league sources said Monday.

As expected the attempt at misdirection was dumb and fizzled quickly.

There was no realist deal that could take place between those 2 teams below them and they realized if they were to pass on Irving it gave the other 2 teams more leverage with their picks on trades. They should have been combing the league thoroughly with the idea 4rth pick was available as soon as the draft order was determined.

Quote:
But what they found out is that getting both players would be a stretch.

Utah has called Minnesota in an attempt to move up to No. 2, looking to land Williams or Irving, a source told ESPN.com's Andy Katz. But the Timberwolves were sticking with the plan of keeping the pick if the Cavs don't select Williams, according to a source.

Last edited by TheBluest : 06-20-2011 at 06:52 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: