Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 06-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
Theoo's Daddy
IN PAT RILEY WE TRUST

Default Can we say Kentucky had the best recruiting Class this season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgJog1u1Yqg

Gilchrist is supposed to play off the bench as a sixth man And Jones came back for another year. Kentucky is winning the NCAA next season.
Theoo's Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Can we say Kentucky had the best recruiting Class this season

It's going to be a very interesting year, there's a lot of stacked teams.
Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke and even UConn got some good recruits.
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
ukfan22
High school junior varsity star

If we had gotten Liggins back, I'd call us the favorites. As it is, I give the edge to UNC on paper.
ukfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

I'd pick UNC.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Kentucky best recruiting class but UNC easily the favorites to win the national title.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:04 PM   #6
ukfan22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Kentucky best recruiting class but UNC easily the favorites to win the national title.

I don't know about easily, but they are the favorites.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:25 PM   #7
Theoo's Daddy
IN PAT RILEY WE TRUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB

marquis >>> marshall

Jones = Harnes

Anthony davis/Kyle Wiltjer => Zeller/henson

May be experience might be the difference, but i think Cal will have them prepared.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:22 AM   #8
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoo's Daddy
marquis >>> marshall

Jones = Harnes

Anthony davis/Kyle Wiltjer => Zeller/henson
May be experience might be the difference, but i think Cal will have them prepared.

Marquis Teague vs. Kendall Marshall:....Teague may be more talented, athletic, have more NBA potential, etc. but to say he is that much greater than Marshall is just silliness. Marshall proved last year that he is great at running Roy's/UNC offense. As far as a pure distributor/playmaker, he may be the best in America. He has plenty of scorers around him so he doesn't have to go out and put up 12-15 a night. He can get his 7-10 points and 7-10 assists and UNC will be fine most nights.

Besides, by the end of the year he more than proven he could still get into the lane and to the basket even if he had someone quicker on him. Albeit not on a consistent basis, but he proved he's quicker than a lot of people gave him credit for. He's not a terrible three-point shooter; he's more of a streak shooter, but he can hit the three ball. You can give Teague the edge if you want, but it's not by a wide margin right now.

Jones vs. Barnes: You say equal?? Really? Did you completely ignore the last half of the season? Barnes and Jones basically flip-flopped their seasons. Barnes started-off slow and finished with a big bang. Jones started off with a bang and finished off somewhat quietly. At his moment, I don't think you're going to find anyone that follows college basketball that would say Jones is = or > Barnes. Besides, I think Jones will be spending more time at PF next year to make room for some of the backcourt talent.

I'm not saying Barnes is considerably better than Jones, but right now Barnes would have the advantage in that match-up. When UNC and Kentucky play, though, Henson will be the main one guarding him if he's not in foul trouble. Henson did a brilliant job on Jones when they played last year in the regular season, and did a fine job on him in the NCAAT in the few minutes he guarded Jones before being saddled with foul trouble.

Davis/Wiltjer => Zeller/Henson: Again, maybe on talent/potential but, at this point, for the 2011-2012 college basketball season I'll take the frontcourt of Henson-Zeller over Daivs-Wiltjer 100 times out of 100. Zeller is a senior who, in my slightly biased opinion, was quietly one of the most underrated and least mentioned star players on a marquee team in the country. He put up big game after big game after big game all season long - including the NCAAT - and you still didn't hear a ton about how good he was or how good of a season he was having. Yes, Anthony Davis' potential/ceiling is MUCH higher than Zeller's, but for the 2011-2012 college basketball season I'd take a senior Tyler Zeller over a true freshman Anthony Davis every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

As for Henson, well he's going to be a junior, was the most disruptive interior defender in America last year, started showing signs of a very reliable offensive game towards the end of the season, and will be even heavier/stronger and more polished by next season. So, yes, I'm taking a senior-junior frontcourt of Zeller-Henson over a freshman-freshman frontcourt of Davis-Wiljer all day long.

And again, Gilchrist probably has a higher ceiling than this guy, but James McAdoo (a 5* top 5 2011 recruit) will be UNC's 6th man. Oh, and another 5* top 15 player, P.J. Hairston, will probably be UNC's 8th or 9th man, so that tells you how deep they will be next year. Not to mention UNC is essentially adding another 5* player in Reggie Bullock (5* top 10-15 2010 recruit) who played most of last season on a bad knee that required surgery in the offseason.

I am a UNC fan, but I think they are favorites next year. I think going into the season it's...

1. UNC
2. Kentucky

3. Ohio State

A bunch of other teams

Last edited by KG215 : 11-06-2011 at 05:04 AM.
KG215 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:08 AM   #9
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Speaking of UNC, ESPN's been replaying games the last few days that have draft prospects in them. Watched UNC @ Duke today. Fell in love with Kendall Marshall all over again. I don't even care that he can't really do anything except throw the most beautiful passes I've seen in a decade, they're that gorgeous to watch. Multiple 30+ footers off the bounce with either hand to cutters just right in the hands soft as hell. Glorious man, glorious. I have a mancrush on him.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Speaking of UNC, ESPN's been replaying games the last few days that have draft prospects in them. Watched UNC @ Duke today. Fell in love with Kendall Marshall all over again. I don't even care that he can't really do anything except throw the most beautiful passes I've seen in a decade, they're that gorgeous to watch. Multiple 30+ footers off the bounce with either hand to cutters just right in the hands soft as hell. Glorious man, glorious. I have a mancrush on him.

There have been a lot of "favorite" UNC players that UNC fans fell in love with, but I'm not sure I've seen so may fans fall in love with a player as quickly as they did with Kendall last year. I was one of them.

There is one game in particular (can't remember which one right now) where he throws a bounce pass just beyond half-court, it sort of curves or something off the bounce, through a couple of defenders, and hits the cutter perfectly on his way to the hole. We had fans start making the "poor man's Jason Kidd" comparisons last year after he started getting more playing time and we got to see how ridiculous of a passer/distributor he is.

I don't really remember how quick and athletic Kidd was in college and his early NBA years, but I think the comparisons in their passing abilities aren't too off-base. Marshall isn't the defender a young Jason Kidd was, but he's a big PG (in the 6'3" or 6'3" range), always has his head up and on a swivel, and will throw and complete 2-5 passes a game that make your jaw drop.
KG215 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:29 PM   #11
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukfan22
I don't know about easily, but they are the favorites.

Yea easily was a bad choice of words.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:32 PM   #12
ukfan22

I was looking forward to arguing with UNC fans about this all summer. I was gonna make an official thread and everything

But without Liggins, they are the clear number one. The game in December is gonna be CRAZY.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #13
Theoo's Daddy
IN PAT RILEY WE TRUST

To me the only thing UNC has over kentucky is experience, but i think kentucky's talent will prevail in the end. The barnes and jones comparison i made was in terms of production, jones can matchup barnes scoring and rebounding. This should be a good season though, this 2 teams have NBA prospects better than 90% of the prospects in this years draft.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #14
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
There is one game in particular (can't remember which one right now) where he throws a bounce pass just beyond half-court, it sort of curves or something off the bounce, through a couple of defenders, and hits the cutter perfectly on his way to the hole.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvZFyYefOMo
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #15
ukfan22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoo's Daddy
To me the only thing UNC has over kentucky is experience, but i think kentucky's talent will prevail in the end. The barnes and jones comparison i made was in terms of production, jones can matchup barnes scoring and rebounding. This should be a good season though, this 2 teams have NBA prospects better than 90% of the prospects in this years draft.

They are deeper.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: