Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-24-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation
Default Its all about FA and trades? - Feschuck @ Star

Trades and free agency are how the Raptors hope to improve, and quickly, in the short term. Given how much Casey keeps raving about Chandler, who nearly came to Toronto in a trade last summer and will be on the market, you can guess he’ll be a target. There is buzz around the league that the Raptors will also look for a veteran guard with a defensive bent.

“We could address needs now (in free agency) and possibly bring in more experience that will help us win sooner rather than the longer-term plan,” Colangelo said.

As for Valanciunas, whether you like his projections or not — and the number-crunching nerds in the analytics world will have you believe he’s an efficient keeper — you had to give Colangelo a certain kind of credit for calling his name. The GM, who is hyperaware of what’s said and written about his club, had to know it wouldn’t be a popular pick. He had to know it might not be a pick that helps him earn the third-year guarantee on his current deal. He made the pick all the same.

He also acknowledged the “angst” of the populace, this before he shared the reaction he and his Toronto cohorts had been receiving from their counterparts in NBA draft rooms.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...r-fans-grimace
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
Jballer
Local High School Star

Default Re: Its all about FA and trades? - Feschuck @ Star

Free Agent PG or SG with defensive bent ??

Andre Miller just got moved.
I dont see Ellis as beign defensively "bent".

Iggy in Philly would appear to be the only likely option but how could we absorb Iggy ?
Old 06-24-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Trades and free agency are how the Raptors hope to improve, and quickly, in the short term.

A lot of us called it. Here comes the 2-year plan!
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo

BC almost had me fooled that he was being responsible to this franchise with the pick last night. I should know better since all of his incentives point to short-term plans, but I suffer from occasional optimism.

Now picking Val just seems to be odd. He's trying to be both short-term and long-term successful, and will likely now fail at both. That kind of strategy only works when you're an established organization already like the Patriots or Red Wings, not when you are rebuilding and really can only feasibly hope for long-term success.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:02 AM   #5
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

unless the players acquired are you enough.

well we can still hope that we have our lockout and that will help our next draft position.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:25 AM   #6
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Now picking Val just seems to be odd. He's trying to be both short-term and long-term successful,
It's the same "line straddling" as was done with Bargnani and Bosh. He kept 2 scoring-oriented PFs that did not work together rather than committing to one and building the team around him.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
Jballer
Local High School Star

There is buzz around the league that the Raptors will also look for a veteran guard with a defensive bent.

Who to target ?

Anthony Parker, Cleveland Cavaliers - $2.9 million – Unrestricted

DeShawn Stevenson, Dallas Mavericks - $4.2 million – Unrestricted

Anthony Carter, New York Knicks - $1.4 million – Unrestricted

Sebastian Telfair, Minnesota Timberwolves - $2.7 million – Unrestricted

Marcus Banks, New Orleans Hornets - $4.9 million - Unrestricted

Acie Law, Golden State Warriors - $0.7 million - Unrestricted
Old 06-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
Jballer
Local High School Star

Quote:
It's the same "line straddling" as was done with Bargnani and Bosh. He kept 2 scoring-oriented PFs that did not work together rather than committing to one and building the team around him.

Maybe... lets see what his moves are in the FA.

I know I am seen as a BC apolgist - but as i sit and think about the pick I am actually intrigued whereas last night I was disappointed.

I really wanted another college young gun like Knight to grow and mature with Davis Derozan Johnson Bayliss.

Val is Not that guys especially if he plays Euro league for another 1 year maybe 2.

There is NO doubt you are correct he has a mandate to improve the win loss over 2 years. Thing is he seems to be selling hope as well i.e investing in longer term assets.

The biggest question "fully unanswered" is if he is commiting to Barges at power forward with Val - or moving barges.

That will determine his success as the team HAS to improve into a respectable d unit.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #9
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

There isn't a hard enough wall to bamg my head against. This goes against all team building logic.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #10
craigthomasb
College star

craigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jballer
There is buzz around the league that the Raptors will also look for a veteran guard with a defensive bent.

Who to target ?

Anthony Parker, Cleveland Cavaliers - $2.9 million – Unrestricted

DeShawn Stevenson, Dallas Mavericks - $4.2 million – Unrestricted

Anthony Carter, New York Knicks - $1.4 million – Unrestricted

Sebastian Telfair, Minnesota Timberwolves - $2.7 million – Unrestricted

Marcus Banks, New Orleans Hornets - $4.9 million - Unrestricted

Acie Law, Golden State Warriors - $0.7 million - Unrestricted

the boards about to collapes as it is, bring back Banks......
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #11
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

I'd like to see what he does, but yeah, I called this the day of the 2 year deal.

He has no incentive to look long term.

He has 2 years to get results.... to look at it from his perspective ("gotta keep my job!") he almost HAS to shortcut this, which will not turn out well.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
Kujo
National High School Star

Kujo has decent reputation

I can't see Chandler playing for us. Having Casey would give us an advantage I guess, but I think Dallas will find away to resign him.

If BC tries to go into a 2 year patch-up job to road of mediocrity (which is what he has been doing), my head will explode. Anything than less than a full blow-up/rebuild mode is unacceptable. We need to do what OKC did.

I get why BC would want to do this to try to save his job, but we need to focus on the long term.
Kujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #13
missionman
I airball my layups

missionman has an OK reputation so far

With the balance of the trade exception left, I'm wondering if Toronto can take on a bad contract with draft picks for next year (a la Cleveland this year).

I really like this idea, so long as the coach and the GM agree that the guy with the bad contract is not taking away from the development of hte young players, not jeopardizing our success at tanking for next year.

Obviously the bad contract(s) has to expire by the time we start paying big bucks to those guys that might deserve it, so another two or three year bad contract might not kill us.

What bad contracts are there out there that we can take?

As a counterpoint to the tanking strategy, I can see why BC and th Raptors might still want to see enough improvement to make hte playoffs.

All you posters here are pretty knowledgeable about basketball and understand hte merits of tanking for another year. BUt from what i understand, there was a lot of booing at the draft -party when Val was taken, partly because of the angst for euro's that Bargnani has 'nurtured' in us fans, but probably also because it represents another year of apparent 'futility'. The playoffs would be a good thing for the Raptors in attendance and therefore financially, at least in the short term, to most of the less educated, band wagon jumping fans. The Raptors are NOT the Maple Leafs.

If MLSE screwed up somewhere it was with the Leafs. I still can't believe some of the moves that Fletcher (Jeff Finger...) and Burke (Kessel, Komisarek,Beauchemin,...) made in hopes of turning the corner quickly. The Leafs had a free pass to absolutely tank and build through drafts - all i see is mediocrity from them in the future.

Back to the Raptors - I guess i am ok either way (tank or actually make hte playoffs), because I understand hte financial motivation for the business but also, because, if they actually make hte playoffs it would mean that our players had actually developed. But 9th in the east would kill me...
missionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:53 PM   #14
hayden695
NBA lottery pick

hayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I really hate Colangelo. Like I can't think of a human being I hate more right now.
hayden695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:20 PM   #15
Burgz
Banned

Burgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden695
I really hate Colangelo. Like I can't think of a human being I hate more right now.

had to deliver furniture for him when i was in first year uni

he's a dick in real life as well always looks angry, or maybe thats the plastic surgery haha

his wife is nice though and a total milf

but anyways, we should add a bandaid to our team logo because honestly that's all that's gonna happen in the next two years
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: