Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
Jballer
Local High School Star

Default The official "bring back" Anthony Parker thread

FA aquisition.

Bring back AP.

His work ethic , defensive awareness, and team first mentality is what Coach D is looking for.

Bound to be a positive impact on team as 6th/7th man.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Default Re: The official "bring back" Anthony Parker thread

Useless to a team who should be aiming at getting the best possible draft pick in next years draft.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
Jballer
Local High School Star

Completely disagree.

AP is not worth 10 wins - not even in the East. AP improves the team marginally in terms of win / loss - maybe a close game or two.

There is a equal or far bigger danger of not showing any improvement - not teaching the young core of guys how to win - how to sacrifice to win.

No use having another 23 win record and a 12% shot at the number 1 pick if you have already "lost" any chances of retaining the you players here... or equally....proven you are a hopeless organization that doesnt look to retool and stay competative. Stromile Swift and Vancouver all over again. Harrison Barnes would/could pull a Stro and refuse to report.

AP is exactly what this team needs in terms of improvements in character and minutes...

Coach D is worth more in w/l - he has to be worth 5 game improvement alone if he can simply get the existing roster to play a little D

Last edited by Jballer : 06-24-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

If it's a cheap 1-year deal to round out the roster with some veteran experience while not taking away any significant playing time from the young guys? Sure.

Here are my guidelines for veteran free agent signings:

Anthony Parker for 1 year, $4 million? Acceptable.

Samuel Dalembert (or any veteran player) for 4 years $25+ million. NO!

No long-term contracts to stop-gap players that won't be around/effective if/when the Raptors actually become contenders.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

As a mentor he has some value, I'm just nervous that he and other players like him (aging role players) get signed by Colangelo to try to jump up to the playoffs.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
Doko
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jballer
FA aquisition.

Bring back AP.

His work ethic , defensive awareness, and team first mentality is what Coach D is looking for.

Bound to be a positive impact on team as 6th/7th man.

I'm in.
Wanted him back since day 1, it was really a shame we let him go for (ugh) Turkoglu -.-
Doko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #7
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doko
I'm in.
Wanted him back since day 1, it was really a shame we let him go for (ugh) Turkoglu -.-

I just threw up in my mouth.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
BoogieWoogieMan
BTE Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doko
I'm in.

We agree on something!!

And I agree with what Q said. 1 year contract and he comes back more as a mentor for the younger players and doesn't play more then 20 minutes a night.

Classy player!
BoogieWoogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

We have that mentor player in Calderon. If he were traded, then AP would be a great signing. Even with Jose, a couple of veteran players are always important to a team. And stop looking for kids to lead the locker room (Jack, AWright, JJohnson, that PG in this draft... )
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:53 AM   #10
bokes15
Playoffs!

If we sign Anthony Parker to a one year deal, whoop de do. But I really don't care one way or another. I wouldn't be particularly excited if we give him such a deal and I wouldn't be overly disappointed if we didn't express any interest whatsoever. There are bigger fish to fry here.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #11
bluerap
Local High School Star

i respect ap but i don't want to see him eat into the minutes of derozan, johnson, bayless, etc.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #12
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

Bokes and Qwyjibo have covered what I think. If it's a short, cheap contract, fine, other than that I don't want anyone older than their mid-20s added to the roster. I don't actually care if Parker returns or not, he's a nice enough guy and put in a lot of effort here, but he'd make virtually zero difference to the future of the team. Anyway is this an actual possibility or just one of those pointless things a fan talks about with no indication whatsoever that it's on the team's radar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
As a mentor he has some value, I'm just nervous that he and other players like him (aging role players) get signed by Colangelo to try to jump up to the playoffs.

What kind of roster makeover could the Raptors realistically do before the new season to possibly get into the playoffs?

I have very little faith in Colangelo, but I tend to believe that even he can't be dumb enough to believe that he can build this team into a playoff outfit this year. He's probably dumb enough to believe that he should be doing that, but not that it realistically can be done, and therefore I think he'll have to accept continuing a proper rebuilding process.
keantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:37 AM   #13
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Well none of those players would actually get us into the playoffs in my opinion, but who knows what Colangelo thinks. Last off season he tried to make a move for Chandler and Diaw, and realistically, what would that do? Put us in a battle for the last playoff spot.

I'm not scared about making the playoffs, I'm scared about ruining our position in the draft, because that's what a team like Toronto needs. Even adding a few vets that add 5-7 wins to our record would be enough to make us slip 4-5 spots down in the draft. Just not worth it to me.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #14
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
Well none of those players would actually get us into the playoffs in my opinion, but who knows what Colangelo thinks. Last off season he tried to make a move for Chandler and Diaw, and realistically, what would that do? Put us in a battle for the last playoff spot.

I'm not scared about making the playoffs, I'm scared about ruining our position in the draft, because that's what a team like Toronto needs. Even adding a few vets that add 5-7 wins to our record would be enough to make us slip 4-5 spots down in the draft. Just not worth it to me.

The impression I get is that at this point a year ago Colangelo thought the team might make the playoffs and was going for that- hence, for example, the Kleiza signing and the Chandler talk. Once the season had gone on for a while, it became impossible to miss the fact that the team drastically lacked the quality to challenge for the playoffs, and he actually moved to a rebuilding strategy (with, for example, the Jack/Bayless move).

If you're not going for the playoffs, there's no reason to get a bit better and move from the high lottery positions to the mid-lottery. I believe Colangelo probably grasps that... I certainly hope he does.

Personally I don't think we'd have been near a playoff spot even with Chandler last year.
keantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:06 PM   #15
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

With Chandler and a veteran to fill the SF position, we will be in the playoffs next season. If the new salary cap prevents Chandler to resign for Dallas, it would be possible.
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: